Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Walling off a certain *spoiler* area  (Read 798 times)

steppenfox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Walling off a certain *spoiler* area
« on: July 14, 2010, 10:13:39 am »

So I breached a place I should not have breached.  The hole reached up to the very top layer!  It wasn't quite fair.  However, my mason was quick on hand, and he walled off my exploratory mining just as the last miners escaped into the main fortress. 

The immediate problem now is that my fps has gone to hell.  Is there any way to bring it under control?  If I abandon the fortress, and reclaim it, would the walled off part with the bad guys still cause fps problems?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Walling off a certain *spoiler* area
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:20:34 am »

So I breached a place I should not have breached.  The hole reached up to the very top layer!  It wasn't quite fair.  However, my mason was quick on hand, and he walled off my exploratory mining just as the last miners escaped into the main fortress. 

The immediate problem now is that my fps has gone to hell.  Is there any way to bring it under control?  If I abandon the fortress, and reclaim it, would the walled off part with the bad guys still cause fps problems?

I dunno about abandoning, last time I tried that, instead of re-hiding the deeps like I wanted it to, instead there were denizens of said hole wandering around all over the map which led to the speedy demise of my reclaim party.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:25:17 am »

The d-men?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:41:35 am »

The immediate problem now is that my fps has gone to hell.

I see what you did there.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 11:54:54 am »

Once the HFS layers have been breached, the clowns will continue spawning forever, and will constantly hammer your FPS as they try to path out.  I don't know of anything that you can do to stop this.  You're pretty much screwed.  Breaching the HFS is a game-over event even if you can kill the inhabitants, your FPS will drop to unplayable levels.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 12:18:57 pm »

You could break hell with DFHack. If you could fill the entire space with water and then magma setting the contents in obsidian it would stop new things entering the map and should kill everything down there. Unfortunately DFHack works tile by tile for things like this, it's a shame there isn't a For Each Tile utility to speed things up.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

steppenfox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 08:00:11 pm »

Bugger.
Thanks for the advice guys