Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Um... help?!  (Read 711 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Um... help?!
« on: July 14, 2010, 05:02:06 am »

My Dwarves stopped drinking my beer supply! I have about 90 barrels, but none of them will drink it. It isn't forbidden, either. Actually, a couple of Dwarves have gotten drinks, but almost all of them are ignoring it. Some of them are already dehydrated.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Um... help?!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 07:08:11 am »

Save your game and then copy your savefolder.

Done? Ok. Now you can just sit back and watch them either ... 1. get their stuff together and drink. or 2. die of dehydration.

If they do nr.1 then all is well and you can delete the copy folder laters. if they die then it's a serious problem that needs a fix.. good thing you got that extra save! for your own sake and for the sake of bug reports if need be.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:52:04 am »

Do you have a diverse booze supply, or are you only brewing a single type of alcohol? If the latter, it's possible your dwarves are getting sick of always drinking the same thing and have decided that they'd rather drink water (which you presumably don't have available).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 07:57:48 am »

Do you have a diverse booze supply, or are you only brewing a single type of alcohol? If the latter, it's possible your dwarves are getting sick of always drinking the same thing and have decided that they'd rather drink water (which you presumably don't have available).

If so, you may want to designate a safe area to drink.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:07:49 am »

Can they all actually path to it?  Check again.

It's really easy to sever the connection between two parts of your fortress.  I know dwarves get tired of the same booze but I have never seen them get tired of it to the point of choosing dehydration.  Slight negative thought at best.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 09:19:01 am »

Just grow some other crops, it's not all that hard  :P
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 05:22:20 pm »

I have a diverse booze supply, and plenty of it. It's all in a central stockpile, too. It's prolly just a bug. I'll copy the save and see what happens.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 06:02:14 pm »

Yep. Everybody's dying of thirst. Every once in a while, someone will go get a drink, but almost everybody did nothing until they died. Does anybody have any idea what happened?
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 06:08:14 pm »

When they did nothing, you mean they stood around, dehydrated, with no job?

You said dwarfs drank sometimes.  Was it only a few dwarfs who ever got around to drinking, or did everybody eventually drink?

You said everybody died.  Was it of thirst, or did your final dwarfs die instead of tantrums and melancholy?

You said you had 90-ish barrels of drink.  Did you have 90 barrels, or 90 drinks?  What was the population of your fortress at this time?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 06:39:10 pm »

When it started, my population was about 75 and the drink supply (meaning number displayed in the status window) was about 90. The dwarves worked normally, some even had no job but still wouldn't drink. A total of about 5 dwarves eventually drank, but the rest are dying of thirst (i.e. not tantrums. They don't even "notice" they're dehydrated, they aren't unhappy, they just eventually die of thirst).
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 06:54:09 pm »

What seems likely to me is that you didn't have enough barrels of drink.

If you have 90 drinks, you might only have 4 or 5 barrels of drink.  When one dwarf has tasked a barrel for drinking, no other dwarf can drink from that barrel.  So it's sort of like you really only had 4 stacks of drinks for 75 dwarfs, which isn't nearly enough.  Everybody else was waiting around for the barrel to become free, and dehydrated before they got their turn.

90 drinks is sufficient for 10 dwarfs.  It isn't enough for 75.

If this is the reason your dwarfs weren't drinking, it's hard to recover from.  If there's a source of water on your map, you may be able to buy some time by breaking into it.  You're going to need a lot more barrels and a lot more booze as soon as possible.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.