Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frozen extract farm?  (Read 844 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Frozen extract farm?
« on: July 14, 2010, 03:23:19 am »

Normally, my FBs seem to kill themselves the first time they breathe, but I've got one now that doesn't seem to do that.  It's frozen extract appears to cause paralysis, then bleeding and death.  It's got me wondering...

Would it be possible to set up a poison farm?  Lure the FB into a room with fortifications for walls, the close a bridge above it.  Keep the fortifications blocked with raised drawbridges, then rope a donkey and place a stockpile.  Then drop the bridge, and let the FB do its thing.  Think that would work?

What I really want to see is what happens to all the Elven communities that get a taste of the special spice I use on the plump helmet roasts I sell them....
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Frozen extract farm?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 05:27:11 am »

does the extract cause its effects if its on a tile and walked over by a creature, or only if its shot at a creature? I could see the potential for coating a passageway the siegers will take in knockout dust.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 05:31:13 am »

Walking over it does the trick.  The problem is that any kind of footwear protects.  And i think we all know how much invaders like their footwear...
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:52:16 am »

Cover your vault in it and leave it open to thieves.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 01:38:07 pm »

perhaps you can somehow lure it to the entrace and then use a fortification/grate combined with a door so that you can allow your enemies to get attacked by it when you pull a lever...
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 02:06:16 pm »

It might be more worthwhile to dump ammo in the line of fire, let the beast spray it with poison, then reclaim the ammo once it is safe to go in there.  Use a particular metal or material that other ammo in your fortress is not made with.  Then assign it to a particular squad.  Then test the poison ammo out by having them kill some animals.  :)

(or would it poison the dorfs when they pick the object up?)

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 02:33:21 pm »

They should be fine as long as they remember their cat leather gloves.

Problem is, can you get your marksdorfs to hit?

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 03:18:52 pm »

hmm, i was thinking, if they get all screwy and die from it, coulnt you heat it up into liquid if it frozen with magma, what it would do, i dont know, but its worth a shot
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 03:29:37 pm »

There wouldn't be any real benefit to heating it to a liquid, assuming that were possible.  It might not be possible, depending on boiling and melting points.  You couldn't make flows out of it, anyways.  If you could make flows out of it, that would be the ideal way to poison things-- put the object on a grate, pump poison over it.