Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Tricks for Noobs  (Read 7784 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tricks for Noobs
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2010, 04:45:35 pm »

Fuel Supply: Have your smelters turn bituminous coal and lignite into coke, 24/7. Give each smelter five of the corresponding smelting tasks and set them on repeat. That way, no matter what other smelting orders you give via the job manager, you'll never run out of refined fuel as long as you still have some raw fuel materials lying around.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2010, 04:53:30 pm »

Don't buy supplies with the plan to assemble them on site. For the first six months your dwarves are going to be very busy people, and after that you can buy anything you could possibly need.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2010, 05:00:22 pm »

Don't buy supplies with the plan to assemble them on site. For the first six months your dwarves are going to be very busy people, and after that you can buy anything you could possibly need.

Not if only 4 dwarves assemble them, and the other 3 make food,booze and stone-mugs.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2010, 05:18:07 pm »

Also, migrants *can* arrive within one or two seasons, giving you lots of empty hands to help out. Depends on your parent civilisation, though.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2010, 06:16:45 pm »

add [SPEED:0] to dwarves in the creature_standard raw makes everything soooooooooo much faster 1 hours worth of diging in 1-2 minutes ect ect....
i knew that it would speed up dwarves, but i did not know what notepad to put it in, thank your soul, my dwarves are moving like i actually have good fps -cries-

Now your dwarves are also hyperspeed demigods in combat, just blurs that deliver 80 times the attacks than non-cheaters' dwarves.
Try a 2x2 embark for better FPS.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2010, 06:29:12 pm »

i should get a 2x2, im too attached to this fort right now,its 4x4 or 4x5

and now with the superspeed dwarfs i get 1-2 fps, but they move incredibly fast to make up for it
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2010, 06:54:28 pm »

Dump the hammerers hammer as soon as he turns up, also, cripples make great sheriffs
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2010, 02:19:16 am »

The other option is to bring a pick (one is usually enough), no axe, no anvil, and LOTS of wood.  Wood is so cheap, you can still come out easily ahead and just buy the anvil and stuff from the first caravan.

This would be a great idea if it were possible to guarantee that the first caravan brings an anvil with them. But there's no way I'm going to potentially screw myself out of being able to make my own tools. That's just un-Dwarvenly.

sublight

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Urist McCorruptintentions
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2010, 04:29:49 am »

- fish turtles. Someone will eventually want a shell and die if there isn't one.

Go to the Kitchen z-menu and turn off 'cook' for turtles, so you don't lose the shells.

Turn off 'cook' for booze if keeping your drink supply going is a problem.

Set up separate custom stockpiles for drinks, seeds, prepared meals, and everything else. Use the q-command and set Max. Barrels to 0 for the seed and prepared meals stockpiles.

Psithief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2010, 05:36:54 am »

I think this is still true: Hatches can't be destroyed from below, so use elaborate up-down entrances to stop building-destroyers from getting in.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2010, 05:45:39 am »

- fish turtles. Someone will eventually want a shell and die if there isn't one.

Go to the Kitchen z-menu and turn off 'cook' for turtles, so you don't lose the shells.

Obsolete. Turtles are now shelled when they get processed.

One barrel can hold an infinite number of seeds. Make a 1x1 stockpile that accepts seeds only next to youir farm, wiht a barrel allowed, and turn off seeds on all other stockpiles.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2010, 05:55:46 am »

more of a personal preference then a no-downside tip, but instead of braving the dangers of the caverns for wood and plants, dig down untill you breach them, then immediately wall it off. go back up to your loam layer, and if you have a water source, you can dig out a large area and flood it to cover it with mud. This gives you your own private tree and plantlife farm, which, depending on your layout, could be right next to your stockpiles.

ikacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2010, 08:34:59 am »

You can designate fortifications on edge tiles to drain fluid off the map.

wow. I wish I knew that earlier, it's so useful. I've always carved out massive underground reservoirs to store the waste water from my projects. I can think of so many amazing uses for this that I'm going to abandon my current fort and start a new one on a river. :)

Edit:
Here's a trick noobs might not know. If you have an enemy in a cage you can mass dump on the cage (d-b-d), then press k and un-dump the cage. This will dump all equipment and weapons of the prisoners. This makes them easy to transport, and is a fairly safe opponent to train your military on.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:41:10 am by ikacer »

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2010, 08:43:10 am »

I dunno, draining off water with fortifications would feel like an exploit to me. I like to think that the edge of the map connects to the rest of the world, you're not just in this cube suspended in space. So that water has to go somewhere. Since you can't continue the pipe further off the map, I'd insist on either pumping it back up to a distant point on the surface where it can runoff, or stick with the giant storage tank (can reuse that water for something else) or since I play 40d, just dump it into a chasm.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2010, 08:49:30 am »

Aquifers and rivers also take up water, any water that gets poured into them just disappears.

You can also pump the water into Hell, right?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5