Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lava Tubes Near Magma Pipes  (Read 1382 times)

Gamli

• Bay Watcher
  • Will fight to the death over shiny black rock.
    • View Profile
Lava Tubes Near Magma Pipes
« on: July 14, 2010, 12:57:59 am »

Generate lava tubes (also known as lava caves) nearby magma pipes.  These tubes should be relatively near the surface, lateral, shaped like a keyhole along the z-axis, width ranges from one-tile wide to approx. 5 tiles wide, length can be up-to a few miles long.  Sometimes the surface can collapse / cave-in to reveal an entrance into a lava tube.  The inside of lava tubes are relatively uninteresting with virtually no stalagmite or stalactite formations and the odd pile of boulders from falling ceiling rocks.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Lava Tubes Near Magma Pipes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:04:35 am »

It's cool you saw some volcano stuff in real life but you should put all your musings in one thread instead of posting multiple minor suggestion threads all at once.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 01:29:17 pm »

I actually loathe lists. You can't tell by the thread title what it's about, and most of them are ignored anyway.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 02:06:36 pm »

I actually loathe lists. You can't tell by the thread title what it's about, and most of them are ignored anyway.

Huh. Is that why I'm having so much trouble getting attention... grumble grumble...
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 02:33:31 pm »

Huh. Is that why I'm having so much trouble getting attention... grumble grumble...

You currently have been the creator of four suggestion threads on the front page, which only has 13 threads if you discount the stickies.  Your problem is not that you are stuffing multiple wildly different suggestions into a single suggestion thread. 

This is a list suggestion.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 02:39:34 pm »

You currently have been the creator of four suggestion threads on the front page, which only has 13 threads if you discount the stickies.  Your problem is not that you are stuffing multiple wildly different suggestions into a single suggestion thread. 

This is a list suggestion.

*Nods* Yeah, I'm a forum addict... I tear myself away for a few months, and when I come back I have way too many ideas. I am trying not to hog the forum too much...

I thought that the Syndrome one at least qualified as a list, though.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Gamli

• Bay Watcher
  • Will fight to the death over shiny black rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 10:02:46 pm »

So umm...

lava tubes?
anybody?

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 10:50:10 am »

I'm a little confused on what a lava tube would be, would it be like branches extending off of the magma pipe to go closer to the surface?

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 02:23:21 pm »

Lava tubes shouldn't be by magma pipes, but by volcanoes. They'd need to be major features around volcanoes, like rivers, or they would be very short and uninteresting.

I think they'd also need to be empty most of the time, as volcanoes don't erupt currently. On the other hand, when continuing world events go in (and possibly volcanic eruptions, too), there could be a chance that the volcano that created your lava tube erupts. For a time, it would be an underground-ish magma river.

I'm all for this. I'll build a fort in one.

I'm a little confused on what a lava tube would be, would it be like branches extending off of the magma pipe to go closer to the surface?

They are tubes formed by lava flows. In a flow, the outer-most lava cools, but inside, the lava continues to flow. When the eruption stops, the lava drains out; leaving an empty tube-like formation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lava_tube
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 03:05:25 am »

Not sure what it really adds to the game?

As already said - you would only find them near volcanos,  not simply lava pipes.  Plus lava tubes are (a) surface features and (b) only occur in a very specific type of volcanic system.  The vast vast majority of volcanoes would never form lava pipes.  You would also expect them to cross z-levels as they flow downhill.

If you're adding them for realisms sake, then realistically they should be very rare, which in turn asks the question about why you're bohting in the first place and what they add to the situation. 

Basically, there's far more striking - and game improving - geological features to be implemented before starting to worry about a rare surface feature which is unlikely to have any impact on the game.