Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Moments that make you love Dwarf Fortress  (Read 5253 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Moments that make you love Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2010, 08:26:44 pm »

My miner cleaved a mountain gnome in two, then shoved the gnome away!
I love DF!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 08:46:09 pm »

I just love games with detailed injury systems, it means getting hurt means much more than reduction of arbitary hit points.
Along this theme, one time I had a crossbowdwarf shoot a goblin from the other side of a small channel, and it left something on the ground.  I looked at it, and saw that it was a ring, and then I looked at the goblin, and saw that it had one finger missing.  So it seems my crossbowdwarf shot off one of the goblin's fingers, with the ring that the goblin was wearing on it still attached. :)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 09:03:56 pm »

Just a little while ago, don't ask me how, one of my dwarves manages to get knocked out by a buzzard, who proceeded to slowly maul him from one z-level above ground.
The thing is, I didn't have any crossbows ready so my militia was just standing around the dwarf lying in his own blood, slowly getting pieces of him ripped off (he is currently buried next to his left ear), while my weaponsmith dwarf is unable to enter the mineshaft leading to the forge to make some bolts and crossbows because the same buzzard always scares him away.

In the end the dwarf just bled to death, no one being able to do anything, while the buzzard flies away with 5 stolen turtle shells.

You know I already have multiple bird watchtower project planned. Operation BirdKill commence! Ballistas shall be involved.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 09:29:27 pm »

I commend your dorfyness!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2010, 01:49:51 am »

The day I found out that, at least it was in 40d, it is possible to get Coke Floors to catch fire.  The happy accident involved a magma welcome-waterfall, a goblin siege, and a poorly timed dwarf caravan.  My later tests, I narrowed down the cause of fire either being the booze cooking off or the !!fire!! tags on burning items spreading to the coke floor.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 08:59:47 am »

One of my favorite moments was attempting to build my first arena,it failed but it was !!FUN!! while it lasted,also one of my favorite things about DF is the ultra realistic injury system and I remember thinking "Holy shit,I knocked out that drunks tooth!?!?that is awesome" and then quite a while later "I just severed that child's guts?Better pick them up and beat him to death with them."Amazing how quick the brutality gets to you.

KadaverciK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 12:19:16 pm »

caravan+ambush
I follow my normal procedure for when I have absolutely no defense, close my fortress. Too bad the caravan guards get nervous in closed spaces or something and need to break stuff to release stress :P

Freaking foreigners  ???

Also in adventure mode, fightin a bronze colossuss right away just to confirm if it is what it's cracked up to be  8)
Poor Urist McBadass, but watching him get mauled was very fun xP
You twist the embedded bronze schmitar around The Elephant's mouth!
Man I just <3 DF

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 04:35:59 pm »

I feel bad because I have no valuable stories to add to this thread, but this is by far my favorite aspect of the game.  Toady has said that features have been added to allow the situations that come up in his and ThreeToes' stories to actually occur.  But I find that the opposite is equally true - the game itself provides backgrounds for these fantastic stories.  All it takes is someone to smooth the text out, and you get tales that are equally entertaining to read as the game is to play.

I live for these threads.  And stuff like Boatmurdered or One Dwarf Against the World.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 02:16:52 am »

Speaking of One Dwarf Against The World I can't seem to find its thread anywhere,did Trifoot or Froggy Threetoe or Toady delete it for some reason?

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 05:44:34 am »

When I accidentally tapped into the new HFS, I had
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In 40d, I was browsing through the legends on one of my worlds, I came across an elf that had over 120 kills, all of them other elves.  Then one day he was killed and eaten by an otherwise perfectly boring elf.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 06:02:04 am »

Elves have SO much potential to be warriors,have you seen what they do in wars?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 06:04:40 am »

Elves have SO much potential to be warriors,have you seen what they do in wars?

Die by the dozens?

Overnight?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 06:11:53 am »

If we were to give them metal and teach them how to forge they would have potential.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 06:14:42 am »

Ad thus the reason we don't.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4