Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Moments that make you love Dwarf Fortress  (Read 5249 times)

AzureAngelic

• Bay Watcher
  • is waiting for dwarves to invent large blenders
    • View Profile
Re: Moments that make you love Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 01:35:53 pm »

Really isn't much compared to a lot of people, but on my most recent fort (i'm a nub so i've never gotten past 16 dwarves) I had a goblin ambush and an elven caravan at the same time. The goblins absolutely destroyed the elves with crossbow spam, and when I went to check the unit list I discovered the elves had dropped a tame giant leopard.

Much fun was had with that leopard.
Urist McFodder cancels Breathe: Interrupted by Goblin.
Urist McAwesome unleashes the magma floods!
Gobbo Steve cancels Attack: Interrupted by Lava.
Lava cancels Kill Goblin: Interruped by Fungiwood.
Urist McAwesome cancels Live: Taken by depression.
Urist McAwesome has perished in lava.

nophilip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 01:38:11 pm »

I love that literally every fortress I embark on, I learn at least one crucial thing to avoid in future forts. The one that was the most Fun? I'm a sucker for moats, so I really enjoy surrounding the entrance to my fortress with water and building various walls and drawbridges. However, on this particular fort, I was not paying attention and channeled part of the moat into my storeroom. I did not notice this until I filled the moat with water.
"What's this? Urist McDwarf AND all his cousins drowned? Ohhhhh. Oops."

Lesson learned: Space the floors of your fort at least 2 z-levels apart.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 01:50:50 pm »

Embarking on a desert only to have your first seven begin to die of dehydration and frantically look for the underground only to find disappointment.

The underground lake was more of a puddle. Luckily most tiles were already muddied but they dropped like flys before I could get the first plump helmet batch.
And that is why you harvest wild strawberries and prickle berries.

He was in a desert.
Well, that proves nothing!

It proves losing is fun.

... No, it doesn't.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 04:52:34 pm »

I love that literally every fortress I embark on, I learn at least one crucial thing to avoid in future forts. The one that was the most Fun? I'm a sucker for moats, so I really enjoy surrounding the entrance to my fortress with water and building various walls and drawbridges. However, on this particular fort, I was not paying attention and channeled part of the moat into my storeroom. I did not notice this until I filled the moat with water.
"What's this? Urist McDwarf AND all his cousins drowned? Ohhhhh. Oops."

Lesson learned: Space the floors of your fort at least 2 z-levels apart.

ROFL

I had a similiar incident, had a problem with people setting stuff on fire so i dug a few channels on the surface to act as firebreaks and to save my fps/trees to cut down. Only to suddenly have an ambush run down the channels straight into my meeting hall... epic fail fun

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 05:29:49 pm »

That one time during my fist turn I took a single step down the ramp of my Avenger only to be spotted by an Ethereal with a blaster bomb. Needless to say my whole squad died instantly.

haha, i've just started playing x-com again in the last few days and this was strangely on-topic for me. in related news, i decided to launch said bomb into a city terror mission. hadn't done that before, won't again. :0

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 05:56:22 pm »

That one time when a baby lost his parents in a siege and then suicided by jumping off a skyscraper that I had constructed for my dwarves to live in. That's not the best part though. A second baby also did the same later on, and I only then found the first baby's remains that were unaccessible on my prison's roof (it was next to the skyscraper)
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 05:59:28 pm »

I just love games with detailed injury systems, it means getting hurt means much more than reduction of arbitary hit points. I tend to use traps as the last line of defense in case the heroic defenders get too injured.

A most memorable moment was the very first time my woodcutter got attacked by a wolf. "Urist McWoodcutters left arm? But I just saw him alive! Oh... my..."

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 07:12:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Snippet from testing the balance of a (private) mod. If you try to translate the log, you get that it dodged the projectile by jumping  downwards, jumps back on its feet and at me where I dodged the incoming blow by smashing it back on the ground. Unfazed by that, it grabs me by the thumb of the left hand, hits my knee with the hand it is holding my thumb, thus pulling my head downwards into a nice "Kick me!" position and proceeded to apply its foot to my skull.
Now I know that in Dwarf Fortress, everything has ninja potential.

Edit: I just noticed it didn't even break my skull. It didn't propel the skull shards through the brain. It kicked the whole damn intact skull through my brain, completely ignoring the fact that this shouldn't work because the brain is actually inside the skull.
this was a triumph... no wait, it was FUN
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 07:47:54 pm »

When I finally get a proper siege in New Wavehandle; Watching my trap building in action, and then watching my iconic "Dick Move Drop-Bridge" screw over the remaining invading force by forcing them to restart from the beginning... from 4Zs in the air.

I guess including seeing my airship afloat and creating Carippoparpamii is also worthy of mention.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:50:56 pm by Itnetlolor »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 02:22:57 am »

Generating a new adventurer and finding that my initial food supply is made up of prepared fly brains. Ahh, Dwarf.

sinister agent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lonely as a Mushroom Cloud
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 09:48:42 pm »

Losing my entire idiot military one by one (including three axe lords, two of whom didn't bring an axe) to a goblin raid.  When the goblins had their fill of killing my bulls and wandering war dogs, they came inside, and made the mistake of picking a fight with a carpenter and a miner.  The miner methodically crippled the limbs of three goblins, then caved their heads in, while the carpenter strangled another two to death.  The survivors ran a mile... into the incoming human caravan.  Splat.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 04:55:44 am »

Losing my entire idiot military one by one (including three axe lords, two of whom didn't bring an axe) to a goblin raid.  When the goblins had their fill of killing my bulls and wandering war dogs, they came inside, and made the mistake of picking a fight with a carpenter and a miner.  The miner methodically crippled the limbs of three goblins, then caved their heads in, while the carpenter strangled another two to death.  The survivors ran a mile... into the incoming human caravan.  Splat.

Fear the miners... they seem to b better soldiers then.. well.. soldiers

• Bay Watcher
  • Dammit John.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 10:45:18 am »

That one time during my fist turn I took a single step down the ramp of my Avenger only to be spotted by an Ethereal with a blaster bomb. Needless to say my whole squad died instantly.

A classic moment in gaming history. I would amend it by emphasizing that the blaster bomb was being carried by you!

Daaaaayum, I literally closed that game and went to look at this thread first.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 07:46:18 pm »

Being able to dig out a barracks in the shape of a hammer and floor it over with granite for a metallic colour.

It's little things like this that make DF entirely different from any other commercial game, or, indeed, any other game at all.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2010, 07:59:35 pm »

I love it every time I send a peon to dig out lava, and every time I accidentally get a dwarf trapped somewhere and he dies of thirst.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4