Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Moments that make you love Dwarf Fortress  (Read 5250 times)

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
Moments that make you love Dwarf Fortress
« on: July 14, 2010, 12:32:33 am »

Megaprojects, dwarfiness and other fun. Feel free to share ur favorite moments.

I'll start with having a Titan slaughter 12/13 of my soldiers only to have an epic battle with the final one ending with its throat being cut... He's my new Captain of the Guard.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moments that make you love Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:01:13 am »

Having a Bronze Colossus push my Dwarf's head off. Thats right, PUSHED.

Sines314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:00:03 am »

My second fortress flooding the world within 5 minutes of embarking.

The dog of mine who had several holes ripped in her by a giant skeletal eagle, and is still alive a game year later.

The first time I broke into a tube of adamantine and heard the lamentations of the damned, I thought 'well, at least there's only a couple of demons'. The memorable part? When I checked the unit list. In retrospsect, I really should have just boarded up the stairs and left my miners to die.

And finally, Cerol Regerush, no more than skilled in any military attribute, my mayor and captain of the guard, who passed up a barony for fear that the job would take her away from ass-kicking, lured off ten of those demons to face them down alone. She lasted a full minute, only to die from bleeding out, because the demons could only scratch her.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:52:46 am »

That one time during my fist turn I took a single step down the ramp of my Avenger only to be spotted by an Ethereal with a blaster bomb. Needless to say my whole squad died instantly.

Wait, wrong game.

Poking a child to death with the severed middle finger of his father.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:59:17 am »

Watching goblin after goblin get hurled into a pit of magma by my entrance traps. Sadly that no longer generates "The goblin is burning" engravings so far as I know.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 08:01:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Snippet from testing the balance of a (private) mod. If you try to translate the log, you get that it dodged the projectile by jumping  downwards, jumps back on its feet and at me where I dodged the incoming blow by smashing it back on the ground. Unfazed by that, it grabs me by the thumb of the left hand, hits my knee with the hand it is holding my thumb, thus pulling my head downwards into a nice "Kick me!" position and proceeded to apply its foot to my skull.
Now I know that in Dwarf Fortress, everything has ninja potential.

Edit: I just noticed it didn't even break my skull. It didn't propel the skull shards through the brain. It kicked the whole damn intact skull through my brain, completely ignoring the fact that this shouldn't work because the brain is actually inside the skull.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:06:59 am by Julius Clonkus »
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 08:10:57 am »

Embarking on a desert only to have your first seven begin to die of dehydration and frantically look for the underground only to find disappointment.

The underground lake was more of a puddle. Luckily most tiles were already muddied but they dropped like flys before I could get the first plump helmet batch.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 09:03:27 am »

Embarking on a desert only to have your first seven begin to die of dehydration and frantically look for the underground only to find disappointment.

The underground lake was more of a puddle. Luckily most tiles were already muddied but they dropped like flys before I could get the first plump helmet batch.
And that is why you harvest wild strawberries and prickle berries.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 09:25:57 am »

That one time during my fist turn I took a single step down the ramp of my Avenger only to be spotted by an Ethereal with a blaster bomb. Needless to say my whole squad died instantly.

A classic moment in gaming history. I would amend it by emphasizing that the blaster bomb was being carried by you!
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 10:52:03 am »

He was in a desert.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:55:13 am »

He was in a desert.
Well, that proves nothing!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 12:34:28 pm »

Deconstructing the bridge with my meeting zone on it... 25 z-levels above the ground.  400+ animals all fell to their deaths, with every single body part flying off - over 2500 body parts.

I don't know why that still makes me laugh.  But it does.

(I wanted lots of bone stacks for custom reactions using bones... the way body part fly off like a bomb after a creature falls to their death is just humourously unrealistic compared to so many other well-modelled things in the game.)

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 12:38:55 pm »

I like to do landscaping work on cliffsides and hillsides through controlled cave-ins rather than channeling bits away. Seeing all my careful preparation crash down is oddly cathartic.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 01:00:00 pm »

One very recent moment pretty much encapsulates my relationship with fortress mode.
Fortress mode makes me care about my dwarves. My original seven are my little pioneers, diligently bringing my machinations to life. And the migrants are mine too. They used to be part of the mountainhomes, but they saw fit to come to my little hole in the ground and help out with whatever grand design I have at the moment.
Every little achievement my dwarves make elicits some reaction.
My current fort is an underground keep guarded by a small castle and a moat. The only way in is a bridge at the front. When a group of rhesus macaques  came a'chargin too late for me to trap them all out, I had the bridge shut off and trapped most of them in. The two left outside ran away immediately. Moments later, leaving the monkeys to their devices on account of them not being able to make off with my phat lewts, I found at least three macaque corpses littered about my fort. "Damn", I think, "Nice work, dwarves." Please note, at this stage I had no military whatsoever. One macaque remained, however. He'd gotten out of the way of my dwarves on the castle wall. I took my only peasant and made him my militia commander. I commanded him up to the wall and didn't even need to give the order. He immediately started beating the crap out of it with his bare damn hands.
That was the first time I have ever impulsively and triumphantly called out "Dead Macaque!".
So, yeah. I like my dwarves. They're my little happy alcoholic workers.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 01:01:26 pm »

He was in a desert.
Well, that proves nothing!

It proves losing is fun.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4