Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterfall world generation recipe and some tips for location  (Read 1964 times)

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have seen a lot of interest in waterfalls and dramatic cliffs on these boards, and figured I should post my world generation recipe that favors these features. I have also added a large section to the waterfall article on the wiki about finding natural waterfalls with ease: rather than repost all the images here, I will simply link to it.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Waterfall#Locating_a_natural_waterfall

Using this recipe,  I just found a nice 3x3 location with sand and coal, centered around a 39-level waterfall from a stream plummeting into a major river filled with hippos and fish that will never kill my framerate by freezing during the winter. In the past I have found areas with up to three waterfalls of varying heights. The best waterfalls are found in areas where two rivers meet or where one river becomes a larger one (ie minor ->major), and this recipe creates a patchwork world where rivers are free to tangle. It takes slightly longer to gen than most.

This first spoiler is the recipe.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This second spoiler details the changes I made to the recipe, and why. You may wish to make changes to my recipe, and this should help you decide where.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

mrb4b00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfall world generation recipe and some tips for location
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:29:32 pm »

Nice recipe, took care of the oceans and made volcanoes alot more accessible.  Thank you.

qbert911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:11:55 pm »

Excellent recipe! Thank you very much for sharing your work.  :D

The ease of use and explanation are very pro sir.

Thanks again.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 04:43:56 pm »

Nice! I waste far too much time looking for waterfalls!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 05:27:54 pm »

How many rejections should I expect out of that worldgen?  Because its up to 500 and counting as I write this post...

Goes to show, soon as I post it finally stops.  Got the message that it could not place enough low elevation areas, so I just hit 'P' to allow all rejects and got my world.  Time to go waterfall hunting now!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:30:00 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 05:36:14 pm »

How many rejections should I expect out of that worldgen?  Because its up to 500 and counting as I write this post...

That's strange! I never get any rejections out of this recipe. Did you change anything, or only copy part of it?
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.