Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Anti-weapon skills  (Read 5346 times)

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-weapon skills
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2010, 10:00:07 am »

really the best defense for almost any weapon is to run like the dickens but that doesn't really help you kill the other guy

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2010, 02:42:54 pm »

I think it would be cool to see two legendary masters, who are masters of their preferred weapon but also have a perfect understanding of their foes strengths and weaknesses, to have super epic battles that last for days, without armor coming into play at all, using various blocks and other tricks to avoid damage or avoid even testing the armor. Eventually someone lands a blow, and it's this highly dramatic moment.

RL combat with weapons is not like that, even between 2 masters who fight against each other every weekend.  A VERY long fight might last all of 5 minutes, and those 5 minutes they are fighting to the point of exhaustion(fighting hard is exhausting, between running and sprinting).  Yes, I have seen fights that last longer, but they were not engaged (they were circling, talking, etc but not fighting).  A very valid maneuver is to fight defensively so the other opponent wears himself out.  No one can swing a sword for an hour straight.

Fighting on the battlefield is brutal, ugly, and short.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2010, 09:07:07 pm »

I don't want anybody to think that I suggested this out of any desire for realism. I just thought such a mechanic would cause more kinds of fun stories to happen. A legendary duel that lasts for 40 days and nights could of course never happen, but it makes for fun drama as long as this kindof thing remains fairly rare and special.

Remember that we are talking about dwarves and goblins here. Realism is only useful as far as it helps us buy into an already entirely implausible scenario.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2010, 09:15:29 pm »

I don't want anybody to think that I suggested this out of any desire for realism. I just thought such a mechanic would cause more kinds of fun stories to happen. A legendary duel that lasts for 40 days and nights could of course never happen, but it makes for fun drama as long as this kindof thing remains fairly rare and special.

Remember that we are talking about dwarves and goblins here. Realism is only useful as far as it helps us buy into an already entirely implausible scenario.

...we spend five days arguing martial arts, and now you tell us you had "no desire for realism".

Great. Just great.

*walks of ranting*

(j/k)
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]