Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Efficient Meat Industry  (Read 1976 times)

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
Re: Efficient Meat Industry
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 12:01:01 am »

Once you get a stable production going, you might want to fine tune it for fun.

Look to breeding the animals for certain traits.

Gigantic and Muscular for example will give a lot more meat than Skinny and Weak (or variations thereof).  Coloration can also be bred for.

It's not really needed, but I feel a certain sense of pride whenever I manage to breed a line of Gigantic, Muscular, and Immensely Fat cattle.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 08:45:01 am »

1. Can I brute-force it? Is there a way to alter the init.txt file and get the dungeon master, or another way around the bug? He's supposed to arrive around the time the baron does, so I'd do it after I get him.
He's supposed to show up when the baron does, but my fortress has had a baron for years and no Dungeon Master.  The conditions and duties of the nobles are in the raw files somewhere.  If you're going to edit the raw files you can just set it so that the Mayor handles the exotic animal training duties, or change the animal you want to breed to be a standard pet instead of an exotic animal.

2. This one's almost off topic, but I might as well ask: how does exporting wealth even work? The reason I ask is that I have all the requirements for a baron, except for 10,000 exported wealth. Right now it's at zero and nothing seems to change that. I'd like to meet those requirements before I try to get the Dungeon Master.
You can drive up the exported wealth value by trading with trade caravans and giving them a lot of profit, or by simply giving them goods free as offerings.  This requires you to have civilizations to trade with, of course.  I think you also need to have a viable dwarven civilization and a living outpost liason as well.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 09:58:06 am »

I find with wild animals you never need to mark them so a 3z drop to a spike gets meats; just pull the lever and wait intill you have flesh on a stick, a good system will reset every kill.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 10:45:36 am »

I have been meaning to try this but have not gotten around to it...  But anyway my idea is to chain up some wild animals in an area which is only accessible via a narrow pathway with a 10z drop on either side.  The pathway is covered with retracting bridges which are tied to a repeater.  When the inevitable wild baby animals grow into adults they try to leave the breeding area and are flung off the path by the blinking bridges and fall splattering into meatychunks which are then collected for food.  The only problem I can see for now is keeping dwarves clear of the blinkybridge, but I am pretty sure I can come up with something.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 11:00:24 am »

I have been meaning to try this but have not gotten around to it...  But anyway my idea is to chain up some wild animals in an area which is only accessible via a narrow pathway with a 10z drop on either side.  The pathway is covered with retracting bridges which are tied to a repeater.  When the inevitable wild baby animals grow into adults they try to leave the breeding area and are flung off the path by the blinking bridges and fall splattering into meatychunks which are then collected for food.  The only problem I can see for now is keeping dwarves clear of the blinkybridge, but I am pretty sure I can come up with something.
You can't lock all paths in and out of the machine, because if you do animals won't try to path across the bridge.  I used two methods.  First, make sure that the machine only has one path in or out, so dwarves won't try to path through it as a short cut to somewhere else, and make sure there's nothing in the machine that would generate a reason for dwarves to go in there.  Second, have a single tile pit covered by a floor hatch, linked to a pressure plate that triggers for any citizen just before it.  If any dwarf does try to wander into the machine, they'll step on the pressure plate and instantly break the path.

The challenge I had is that it's tricky to get your dwarves to reliably chain a bunch of wild animals up without getting scared or fighting the animals.  Also, your breeding animals will eventually die of old age.  That's why I built an overly elaborate sorting/counting mechanism that lets the wild animals wander freely but always keeps a set number of adults in reserve.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 01:53:04 pm »

Code: [Select]
WDW
DRD
WDW
This lets you put in more things without scaring the haulers, keep the doors tight intill your done.

WDW
WGW
WPW
Set the door with the pressure plate and a remote lever, set the grate with the plate, it takes a while but you will get meat, mmm meat.

W W
The fun part.

SThe funnest part.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 02:39:24 pm »

Here's what I do in my fort, anyway, seems to work alright for me:

[image snipped]

I've used a very similar method in my fortresses, though I lock each individual animal behind a pet-impassable door. See here (start at Siege Battlements and go down 1 Z-level) and here (start at Entryway, then go down 1 Z-level and southeast a bit) for my particular implementations of this.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 02:51:47 pm »

The most obvious solution appears to be the following:
- Have a large room to store your animals. Chain your breeding specimen.
- Raising-Bridge it to a butcher's room
- Raising-bridge butcher's room to the rest of the fort.

As such, when you send a dwarf to butcher, let him in, and raise the bridge behind him. Once the butchering is done, seal off the cattle and open the butcher to haulers.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 03:24:25 pm »

Meh, just go with hunting. Either wild animals or goblins.

Its all meat just the same!  :D

Delicious cannibalism.

Aristoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 09:15:56 am »

Any truth to the idea that chaining a breeding animal in a 1x1 room with 1 pet impassable door stops them from pathing?

No Pathing
WDW
WMW

Pathing still occurs
WDW
W.W
WMW

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 12:50:10 pm »

they still are attracted to doors which are closed unless there is another open path for them to use.

On another note: To hell with meat industry, the cheese industry is where its at.  ;D
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.
Pages: 1 [2]