Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Ultima Online Emulator-Anyone playing?  (Read 8091 times)

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Online Emulator-Anyone playing?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 01:48:17 am »

OK, logging in right now.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 01:50:23 am »

Talfryn McUrist, Elven Mage, Is born. :)

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 01:53:36 am »

Before I had internet I always wanted to play Ultima. You can do so much awesome stuff. No other MMO is so interesting. So some years later I tried playing on a shard. It wasn't as much fun. I started as dwarf in some underground dwarf fortress. For few days I've done lots of mining to boost my strength and earn some money, bought best armor, weapons from local vendor (best stuff I could find), trained my combat skill or something on training dummy to the point I couldn't gain more from it, I also bought few HP pots and went out to kick ass thinking I'm so prepared I couldn't be more. First monsters I can find were 3 or something zombies, they were just few steps from entrance to starting zone so I think they have no chance against grinded me. How wrong I was! They kicked my ass so hard I used up all my quite expensive potions, didn't manage to kill even one and barely escaped with my life. Then I uninstalled game. If it takes SO MUCH effort to not be roflstomped by just some random monsters near noob zone I'll pass, simply a waste of time. I might try again with you guys but only if its not same grinding BS again.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 09:04:13 am »

Judgements on the level of 'grindyness' of UO is subjective. I personally feel that it is pretty grindy. However, it is true that you can max out a weapon skill in a week of semi-casual play. It should be noted that this does not really mean too much, supporting skills and character stats play a much larger role in survival. UO is a hard game, it is even harder on these free shards because the monster spawn is set to occupy several thousand players, but only several hundred play at the most.

Bottom line, you will die a lot, but you can run back and get your equipment off of the corpse.

Failing that there is insurance for items, meaning you pay to have them stay with you after death.

The game gives new players a protective bubble for 10 hours, maybe longer I forget, in which you do not trigger monster aggro. Basically, allowing clean mob pulls because fighting more than one mob at a time will chew you up, just like in your story.

Hope this helps.

Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 11:36:15 pm »

McUrists, Rise!

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 12:28:59 am »

I wish there was a player search feature, it will be damn hard to find each other until we get a guild up
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 12:38:25 am »

It does not look like we shall get many members. A game of Transformice, chap?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 01:02:49 am »

I might be willing to try...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 01:13:33 am »

Ive never played UO but I have always wanted to. Ill give this a whirl, I will be called the same name.

Maybe a steam group could fix the problem of not finding each other?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 01:36:51 am »

So where do I download the awesomeness?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2010, 01:39:12 am »

You have to dl the UO client (its free) then download this: http://www.connectuo.com/ Then just read this to connect to it http://www.uodemise.com/join_us/

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2010, 01:40:36 am »

Also, for last name, everybody try to add "McUrist"

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2010, 01:41:43 am »

And pick long beard for facial hair

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 02:05:39 am »

Just gonna point out that Angel Island is the perfect blend of hardcore PK jam and oldschool UO stylings, and likely the most DF pirate shard around.   It was actually run by semi-well-known PK Adam Ant.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 02:30:10 am »

Just gonna point out that Angel Island is the perfect blend of hardcore PK jam and oldschool UO stylings, and likely the most DF pirate shard around.   It was actually run by semi-well-known PK Adam Ant.
Yea, I mentioned Angel Island earlier. You guys wanna do a Angel Island thing? I'm trying to decide between that and uogamers.com.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5