Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Weird Stuff Dwarves Do  (Read 2840 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Stuff Dwarves Do
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 11:03:09 pm »

I send a squad of dwarves to go kill an ice wolf and they drag along the barrels of booze they happened to be drinking.

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 12:54:28 am »

Upon a successful kill, dwarfs will randomly take off their pants. 

(I'm guessing because it gets tattered in the fight, but I just find it odd that every time I dismiss them, they start shedding cloths left and right)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 06:50:24 am »

Upon a successful kill, dwarfs will randomly take off their pants. 

(I'm guessing because it gets tattered in the fight, but I just find it odd that every time I dismiss them, they start shedding cloths left and right)

Well ... those might be their "on duty" pants and once they've done their duty they take them off.
 Military tinkering can have that effect I imagine.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 06:57:01 am »

Dwarves take joy in slaughter, even when accidentally killing their spouse while sparring.

A murder is OK as long as you make some kind of artifact out of the victim.

Vandalizing your own bedroom can get you executed.

Dwarven death, fear and misfortune are the most popular engravings.

Dwarves can starve to death trying to strangle a zombie.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 07:36:49 am »

minner dwarfes who have been trapped sometimes refuse to dig themselfs out and rather hunt for vermine...

Urist McHunter cancels Hunting: Hunting for vermin.

(Or however it's phrased, again.  I've long since switched from professional hunters for occasional trappers creating cages, mechanics creating cage traps, animal haulers hauling, animal trainers training, FIIIIIVE GOOOOLD RIIIIIIIINGS... ahem... then letting the butchers at 'em.  Despite the overheads involved, these are all useful professions regardless of the current presence of suitable fauna...)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 01:13:15 pm »

Vandalizing your own bedroom can get you executed.

Dwarven death, fear and misfortune are the most popular engravings.

Engravings: Everything is public property, and even if the economy kicks in, it's only a rental room.

Etch the dangerous stuff on the walls to remember the dangers and impress the young about how wicked the elves are.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Jh00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 11:50:29 am »

Killing a friend in a tantrum because a goblin killed his other friend.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 12:18:09 pm »

Insist upon using/demanding materials that they have likely never seen before

Will stop to drink/sleep/eat before putting up the wall that saves the fort from Blind Cave Ogres
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 12:20:49 pm »

I *wish* my dwarves made more morbid engravings... I guess the fact that my fortresses usually run around ~200 population for twelve years and only get a dozen or so dead makes the engravers too...

hrrm...

Does the happiness of the engravers effect what they draw?
*lights flash*
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 01:22:06 pm »

Feed a Rhesus macaque  Rhesus macaque intestines to tame it. Happening as i type.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Jh00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 01:30:42 pm »

Mandating the construction of adamantine buckets. If at least they were used to take a d*mp, then I would feel ok about it.

sinister agent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lonely as a Mushroom Cloud
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 07:39:49 pm »

I *wish* my dwarves made more morbid engravings... I guess the fact that my fortresses usually run around ~200 population for twelve years and only get a dozen or so dead makes the engravers too...

hrrm...

Does the happiness of the engravers effect what they draw?
*lights flash*

Same here.  I had two legendary engravers carving up every floor in my first fortress, where a third of the population were killed by goblins before the army showed up one at a time and got slaughtered (possibly because the two axe lords decided not to bother bringing their axes - one brought two shields, though), only for the commander to go mental because his lover was dead and charge out there, singlehandedly dismembering about five of them, then starved to death while mourning. 

The next couple of raids saw dozens of dwarves killed while either running out to pick daisies or forgetting their armour, and were only seen off when 21 unarmed workers piled on top of two goblins, and a carpenter strangled two more to death.  In the same period, a miner went mad and maimed a farmer, then killed one of his only two remaining friends, and was then brained by his other remaining friend.  Someone else suffered a mood gone wrong, went insane, kicked two dogs to death and finally passed out from exhaustion just long enough for the surviving dogs to chew his head open and bleed him to death. 

And what did the engravers commemorate?

About a month into the first year, I removed a dwarf from a post and reinstated him again while getting used to the admin screen.  So, I covered every surface I could with engravings, and about 40% of them were:

"Urist McAxedwarf was removed from the post of militia commander."  "Urist McAwedwarf was appointed militia commander".  "Urist McAxedwarf was removed from the post of militia commander."  "Urist McAxedwarf was appointed militia commander".

GET OVER IT.  Sheesh.  This is the same guy who first endangered everyone by sitting around doing nothing during an attack, then saved everyone's lives at the last minute, then gave up on life and died in a doorway.  A legendary axedwarf?  A flawed hero?  Nope.  We want to tell the world about a minor administrative error!

Another quarter or so were about some human taming some giant eagles, which was apparently the only thing that ever happened in the history of the world.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:43:40 pm by sinister agent »

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 09:50:50 pm »

Urist McMiner cancels clean self. Area unaccessable.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 03:49:21 pm »

They like to splash water from the well or a pool of water onto themselves for a wash. The area where cleaning is done was no-go.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 04:07:59 pm »

They like to splash water from the well or a pool of water onto themselves for a wash. The area where cleaning is done was no-go.
Urist McMiner cancels clean self: I CAN'T REACH ME BUM!
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.
Pages: 1 [2] 3