Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Organic Cavern Fortress?  (Read 990 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Organic Cavern Fortress?
« on: July 13, 2010, 12:28:10 pm »

So I was thinking, quite the dangerous pastime, I know.

Has anyone had any luck with organically designed cavern fortresses. I mean fortresses where you dig into those many z level thick cavern walls for all your rooms and have windows to peak out into the blackness as if you were building with a cliff face to work with (and that's kinda true).

Does the open space murder your FPS?
How do you deal with the abundant GCS?

Any other concerns?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Organic Cavern Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:46:29 pm »

Does the open space murder your FPS?
How do you deal with the abundant GCS?
Any other concerns?
Giant Cave Spiders are rarely a problem. It's the damn trogdolytes you want to watch out for. The bastards will interrupt everything possible. If you are concerned about the GCS, wall off the choke points and post a bait animal by your main cave entrance.
Your FPS should be OK.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Aristoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:13:17 pm »

I haven't done it in a long time, but I did back in the 40d days with a bottomless chasm and rooms along it with windows.  I thought it was pretty neat, though I was at the very top so I did not notice many interruptions other than a Giant Cave Swallow that snuck in during building and, well, there were a few deaths involved.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:39:35 pm »

Hum, still sounds neat/doable so far.

I find it interesting that there are little columns of rock stretching from cavern floors to ceilings. This is probably toady's work around for not having rope ladders. You know, in case you breach a cavern from the top of it. That way you dig down through the rock columns.

The weird and wonderful thing about this idea is the strange and semi random cave wall structures that I believe will make no two building designs the same. Speaking of building designs, how about any ideas on those. Granted this will be rather difficult given that different cliff faces will produce different structures to work with. Perhaps we could post some pictures of examples we've tried in game here? Couldn't hurt could it?

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 01:46:25 pm »

It could hurt... but remember, losing is fun!
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 01:48:00 pm »

I've done this, sort of, here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9123-roadsaviors

The fortress is carved out of solid rock above the cavern obviously, but the caverns have been extensively modified to make them more dwarf friendly.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 08:30:16 am »

I've done this, sort of, here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9123-roadsaviors

The fortress is carved out of solid rock above the cavern obviously, but the caverns have been extensively modified to make them more dwarf friendly.

Ok, I'm kinda impressed. That's a very large fort.

Hum, I was thinking less square and more part of the natural cavern walls, but still nice.

Please don't quote me.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 10:34:22 am »

I'm actually planning to do this for my current fortress. I've got some mere scratchings on the first two levels below ground, and at the moment my miners and masons are building floors to connect the various large pillars together. I'll probably end up walling groups of small pillars together to make a more useful space.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 04:59:37 pm »

Are bedrooms finally fixed in 31.10? Or will random Dwarves sleep in random beds even after being assigned still?

Please don't quote me.