Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Medical Question  (Read 1358 times)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Medical Question
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:37:50 am »

Hi guys,

I've a woodcutter who killed a legendary beast by wrestling it to death. His health status is "Sx MnSn" (Ability to stand lost, motor nerve damage, sensory nerve damage). Those nerve damages are all in one of his legs.

Will he stop resting in the hospital in a couple of years or have I now a permanently bed-ridden useless dwarf?

He became a legendary wrestler and legendary fighter when he took that thing down, so I'd really like to have him up and cutting more trees down...

This is 31.08.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:39:59 am by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Ahp77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:54:35 am »

IF your hospital is correctly furnished and stockpiled, and IF you have a decent medical dwarf, your dwarf should be back within 5 years fo' sure.

If not, sorry, accident time.

If you put him in the military, he won't be chopping trees again anyways.

Although, his nerves did get damaged... not sure about that.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 12:01:29 pm »

5 years or so? Alright.

I didn't put him into the military, because I don't understand the military and so run a fortress without an army.

The forgotten beast was somehow suddenly in my sealed in fortress and butchering the Butcher and several animals, and then the woodcutter just attacked it and killed it. This is why I am quite fond of him now anyway. :)
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 12:23:21 pm »

but ... it's all in his leg.

Give him a crutch and tell him to stop crying.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 12:26:49 pm »

Haven't had any luck with legless dwarves. They are never brought any crutches and never get up. It's likely a bug, see here:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2373

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 12:58:35 pm »

He hasn't lost that leg, it's marked in yellow in his general health overview. Well, I'll just give him a couple of years to heal his wound.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 01:47:14 pm »

Give that dwarf a solid gold crutch!
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 01:56:10 pm »

i have a dwarf who also has Sx MnSn

hes been in the hospital bed for  9 years
the problem is he doesnt have a diagnosis anymore, i need to fix that
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 02:02:58 pm »

There's still alot of bugs in the health system. I've seen smashed up legs heal in two seasons with splints, and I've seen dwarves with yellow wounds never get up again for 8 years. It's kinda random. If the healthcare process get's interrupted in any way, it's ruined.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 02:16:56 pm »

I don't believe that nerve damage heals; I don't believe it's intended to heal.  This is consistent with previous versions, and with reality-- when a nerve's severed, sorry, it's kind of over.

In an ideal situation, your dwarf would be handed a crutch and start learning how to crutch walk, which would maybe leave him with one hand to do some work or wield a weapon, but I've never seen crutches assigned or used.

In 31.08, my military dwarf was stabbed in the foot by a kobold-- just a yellow wound, just cut open-- but he couldn't stand.  He crawled to the hospital where his wound was cleaned, sutured, and dressed, and the wound eventually full healed, such that it wasn't even discolored on his wound screen.  His health screen showed no problems.  But over the following two years, he never stood again, just sat there resting.  Eventually I built walls around him.  So sad.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 04:48:51 pm »

Dwarf stem-cell research? I mean they are already using babies as shields.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 05:32:59 pm »

*sigh*

After a couple of years, the other dwarves seem to have given up on him. First, they let him die of thirst (I savescummed then), and then, they let him die of starvation.

So I won't figure out if he would've healed in the next couple of decades of something.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 05:42:19 pm »

In 31.08, my military dwarf was stabbed in the foot by a kobold-- just a yellow wound, just cut open-- but he couldn't stand.  He crawled to the hospital where his wound was cleaned, sutured, and dressed, and the wound eventually full healed, such that it wasn't even discolored on his wound screen.  His health screen showed no problems.  But over the following two years, he never stood again, just sat there resting.  Eventually I built walls around him.  So sad.

Actually that's a fairly common bug. The going theory is that if a wound heals on it's own before the doctor does his thing, then he's stuck thinking he needs medical treatment when he doesn't, and the doctor refuses to do anything because the wound is healed.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 06:03:47 pm »

I had an adventure mode dwarf who lost a nerve in one leg early on, and never walked again during his career.  Strangely, he still did quite well as a speardwarf, fighting leopards:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:P

My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 06:09:09 pm »

Try deconstructing the bed from underneath him.  I've gotten wounded Dwarves to get up and get booze when all the water was frozen over that way... maybe it'll get them to realize they're no longer injured.
Pages: [1] 2