Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retrieving meat from the catpit  (Read 1046 times)

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
Retrieving meat from the catpit
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:20:36 am »

I embarked with a breeding set of cats. Catsplosion ensued.
So I dug a pit outside near the entrance of my fort and placed the unclaimed cats in it.
Spoiler: catpit (click to show/hide)
My idea was to let the unclaimed cats still breed more meat/bones, but not catch cute fuzzy syndrome. It seems to have worked. Maybe.

Anyway- my question is, how do I extract the cats from the catpit in order to extract their meats? - without freeing ALL the cats to go inflict OMGKYOOTFUZZYWUZZY on some other damn dwarf.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Retrieving meat from the catpit
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:21:36 am »

I embarked with a breeding set of cats. Catsplosion ensued.
So I dug a pit outside near the entrance of my fort and placed the unclaimed cats in it.
Spoiler: catpit (click to show/hide)
My idea was to let the unclaimed cats still breed more meat/bones, but not catch cute fuzzy syndrome. It seems to have worked. Maybe.

Anyway- my question is, how do I extract the cats from the catpit in order to extract their meats?
Drop a bridge invaders on 'em. Literally.
EDIT:After that, dig a ramp and collect the delicious cat meat and goblinite.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:23:08 am by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 11:22:40 am »

Anyway- my question is, how do I extract the cats from the catpit in order to extract their meats?
Drop a bridge on 'em. Literally.
Won't that cause them all to vanish in a puff of dwarven science?

(Large Feline Collider)
Strike the earth!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 11:24:39 am »

Create an air lock to let a few of the cats into.  Then drown all cats in the air lock.  Drain and butcher the dead blighters.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 11:29:43 am »

Just use them as arrow magnets. Put them near the main gate so any invaders will have a clear shot at them. Let the invaders use up all of their ammo on the pile of cats.

Then butcher the goblins instead.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 11:36:27 am »

Fill the pit with water!  The meat rises and everybody wins

Lishedir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 11:49:06 am »

How do I explain this. Dig a tunnel to the side of the pit and seal it off with a door/floodgate linked to a lever. Behind it, make a room with a retractable bridge and, say, 3 z levels fall. When you open the floodgate some kittens are bound to wander into your death room. At that moment close the floodgate and designate a dwarf to pull the lever to retract the bridge, and send the kittens falling to their splattery deaths. A dwarf should have no problem going into the blood and gut ridden room to recover their corpses and eating cat meat roasts afterwards.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 12:03:56 pm »

You cannot butcher the corpse of a tame animal.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 12:13:50 pm »

How do I explain this. Dig a tunnel to the side of the pit and seal it off with a door/floodgate linked to a lever. Behind it, make a room with a retractable bridge and, say, 3 z levels fall. When you open the floodgate some kittens are bound to wander into your death room. At that moment close the floodgate and designate a dwarf to pull the lever to retract the bridge, and send the kittens falling to their splattery deaths. A dwarf should have no problem going into the blood and gut ridden room to recover their corpses and eating cat meat roasts afterwards.
Spoiler: catsplatpit (click to show/hide)

You cannot butcher the corpse of a tame animal.
This is what I was afraid of. If I understand correctly, I have to designate a cat for slaugter, then grant access to a dwarf and a butcher shop. My goal is to allow all this without releasing any cats.

New question: If the cats escape while still being as "assigned" to a pit, will an idle dwarf grab them and reinstall them in the pit?
Strike the earth!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 12:17:37 pm »

Assign to pit is only a one time thing. Once the animal is tossed into the pit there will be no more attempt to toss it into the pit.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 12:33:11 pm »

Assuming the pit door is locked already, (D)ump a cage into the pit.  Build a two-tile long floor over the center of the pit.  Create a 1x1 burrow over the furthest floor tile and assign your least favorite miner to it.  Call him Spock.  Remove the floor connecting him to the wall and drop him into the pit.  When he recovers, have him build the cage, and assign all the cats into it.  He must then dig into the wall, build a butcher's shop, and butcher all the cats himself, one at a time to limit his fuzzywuzzy-particle radiation exposure.  Have your other dwarves carve a tunnel beneath the pit and then Spock can channel into that (so no ramp) and dump cat byproducts into it (make the floor beneath a food stockpile to prevent spoilage).  If Spock can cage and butcher the horde and by some miracle avoid fuzzywuzzy radiation particles attaching themselves to him, he can go home; but far more likely he has been tainted and can never see your wondrous halls again.  You can end his misery and drop something heavy on them and bury your now-favorite miner hero properly (I suggest a lead coffin), discard his fuzzy cling-on parasites, and have a feast on delicious cat roasts in his name in your cat-free mountain home.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 12:37:53 pm by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 03:56:03 pm »

Assuming the pit door is locked already, (D)ump a cage into the pit.  Build a two-tile long floor over the center of the pit.  Create a 1x1 burrow over the furthest floor tile and assign your least favorite miner to it.  Call him Spock.  Remove the floor connecting him to the wall and drop him into the pit.  When he recovers, have him build the cage, and assign all the cats into it.  He must then dig into the wall, build a butcher's shop, and butcher all the cats himself, one at a time to limit his fuzzywuzzy-particle radiation exposure.  Have your other dwarves carve a tunnel beneath the pit and then Spock can channel into that (so no ramp) and dump cat byproducts into it (make the floor beneath a food stockpile to prevent spoilage).  If Spock can cage and butcher the horde and by some miracle avoid fuzzywuzzy radiation particles attaching themselves to him, he can go home; but far more likely he has been tainted and can never see your wondrous halls again.  You can end his misery and drop something heavy on them and bury your now-favorite miner hero properly (I suggest a lead coffin), discard his fuzzy cling-on parasites, and have a feast on delicious cat roasts in his name in your cat-free mountain home.

I have a similar idea, but with slightly less risk to the dwarf in question. I would suggest creating an "air-lock" with a dwarf (assign him to it using the burrow, then lock him in) and a cage. Unlock the door to the catpit, and tell him to cage all the cats. Even if he gets adopted, he'll still cage it, so worse case you can kill the caged-adoption-cat later by tossing the cage into lava.

After they're all caged, deconstruct the cage and rebuild it near the slaughter house. Assign all cats to be slaughtered. It will take a while but this minimizes the risk of fuzzy-syndrome while still allowing you to murderize your cat population.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 04:05:40 pm »

Just adjust the civ ethics so that eating sentients is acceptable.

Wait for goblin siege.

Food, bone, and leather shortages solved.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 11:54:51 am »

Just adjust the civ ethics so that eating sentients is acceptable.
Wait for goblin siege.
Food, bone, and leather shortages solved.
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_FOR_FUN:AWESOME]

Cannibalism: You're what's for dinner.
Strike the earth!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 03:28:09 pm »

Make the access hallway a row of 10 or so pet-forbidden doors.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!