Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extinct Civilisations  (Read 1811 times)

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Extinct Civilisations
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:23:08 am »

Is there anyway to find out if my new genned world has other civilisations left in it?  I think in fortress mode you only see the other civs once you come into contact with them, I did have a poke about in legends mode but it wasn't terribly clear if the civs were still around or all their members has been killed off.

I do appear to have a cat demon as leader of a goblin civilisation, who've also made a sculpture out of half a dozen elf corpses in the past.....are goblins really that bad?

Nisengo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Extinct Civilisations
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:22:23 am »

What's wrong wiith making sculptures out of Elf skulls? I do that all the time.

Goblins have their redeeming qualities, it seems.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:25:18 am »

Clearly these goblins are the scum of the earth, irredeemable beyond even those of their vile devil-bound kind.

I mean, really? Only half a dozen elf corpse sculptures?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:29:24 am »

.....are goblins really that bad?

Eh, goblins aren't bad. I mean, once you get past the arms and legs they aren't so bad. And by pass I mean with an axe and by axe, I mean kill them.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:41:40 am »

Is there anyway to find out if my new genned world has other civilisations left in it?  I think in fortress mode you only see the other civs once you come into contact with them, I did have a poke about in legends mode but it wasn't terribly clear if the civs were still around or all their members has been killed off.

I do appear to have a cat demon as leader of a goblin civilisation, who've also made a sculpture out of half a dozen elf corpses in the past.....are goblins really that bad?

If you take a quick run through the historical maps you can actually watch them go extinct. If you want to just check quickly, you can go 'back' in time from year 0 to get to 1050 (or whatever the end year is) and see who's still standing.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 12:27:08 pm »

What I do is I go into fortress mode and while browsing the map for embark positions i press tab until I see the list of neighbours.

This list is of what neighbours you'll get at a specific location. In my current map there is an ocean cutting the area in two, one big and one small. On the big part all humans have become extinct but there are about 4 cities standing on the small part. Some ruins there, so I don't think they're doing too good .. but they showed up in neighbours and thus I was happy and embarked.

I always want the full set of neighbours. gobbos, elves, hoomans... I have a sad everytime one is dead. Yes. Even the elves!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:36:28 pm »

Oh you poor, naive little child. ;-)

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 05:10:48 pm »

In legends, go to Historical Map and change it to the end year. It will show you the areas of all living civs.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:15:50 pm »

I add tags to allow adventuring on all civs, then check the choices in adventure mode. Lets me quickly see how many there are and how big they are. If I want more, just look it up in Legends.

Speaking of which, I've seen records of an elven civ which is quite huge, probably having taken over an entire expansive forest. Their entire history seems to be them constantly sending armies of two thousand elves at a couple of nearby evil civs, who cause hundreds of deaths with a handful of defenders. Bless them.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"