Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: beachfront property  (Read 1692 times)

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
beachfront property
« on: July 13, 2010, 06:59:28 am »

I started up a new fort last night to try out .31.10 - genned up a new world and embarked next to an ocean.

It's a nice little spot...  Lots of sand, some coal, flux stones.  I've got the ocean, lots of murky pools, some cliffs, and a river.

One of the first things I did is dig out some space for my farms.  Typically I designate some ponds and tell my dwarves to fill them.  But that didn't work this time.  They kept complaining about no water source.  So I tried to designate one of the murky pools as a water source - didn't work.  Designating the river didn't work either.  I assume this is because they're saltwater.  So, I've got some questions...

Is this normal?  I knew the ocean would be saltwater, but I kind of thought the murky pools or at least the river would be freshwater.  So, is it normal for all the water to be salt?  What about aquifers?  There's supposed to be an aquifer somewhere on the map - will it be salt or fresh?

What about irrigation?  I've got a well under construction, which should make my bucket brigade happy...  But what if I just tap a murky pool?  Can I use saltwater to irrigate a field?  Will I get farmable plots?

What about desalination?  If I understand correctly, a screw pump will desalinate the water.  And as long as it doesn't touch natural stone (I'll have to smooth the walls/floor of my cistern) it should stay fresh.  Is this accurate?

Is there any way to tell what is salt or fresh?  If I look at a tile of water, it just says "Water 7/7" - there's no indication (that I have seen) that tells me whether it is fresh water or salt water.  Am I missing something?
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: beachfront property
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 08:16:39 am »

Try drinking from the dangerous underworld caves, they should be around level 9-13.

Pretty crazy about the river being seawater!

"In the new system mud is now a contaminant which is created any time water covers an area. Any tiles that contain mud may be used for farming."

I guess the world map's sea color, light blue or dark blue, tells if the sea is salty. The Water article on the wiki says try to designate as drinking zone to test for saltiness.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:25:44 am »

Its normal for every thing to be salty. I'm guessing the salts just in the soil so water becomes brackish everywhere or something. It makes sense to me, but I live on the shore.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:16:27 am »

Its normal for every thing to be salty. I'm guessing the salts just in the soil so water becomes brackish everywhere or something. It makes sense to me, but I live on the shore.

Sorta, IIRC in this version, brooks and rivers that are close to the sea or lead out/in to one, have high chances of being salty.

Though, this is really no problem. Just use pumpscrews; for the record, wells don't work anymore in this version as desalinators.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:35:39 am »

for the record, wells don't work anymore in this version as desalinators.
Are you sure? I've been running this fort for 3 years without any booze and only a well that goes into the ocean - there are murky pools, but I've seen dwarves drink from the well.

It doesn't register as a water zone, though.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 09:40:51 am »

Are you sure? I've been running this fort for 3 years without any booze and only a well that goes into the ocean - there are murky pools, but I've seen dwarves drink from the well.

It doesn't register as a water zone, though.

Then, I guess I'm wrong. Also, why would you run a booze less fort?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 09:42:45 am »

I haven't made farms yet :P

Edit: When the dwarves take water from my well, the buckets say they contain "water laced with salt"... I guess dwarves can drink salt water if they must, then?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:50:41 am by Cyntrox »
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Alcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:05:20 am »

I haven't made farms yet :P

Edit: When the dwarves take water from my well, the buckets say they contain "water laced with salt"... I guess dwarves can drink salt water if they must, then?

I would have the doctors keep and eye on their cholesterol levels...
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 10:09:08 am »

THIS

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 10:51:09 am »

Hmm...  This might be a problem.

I've got a well under construction specifically to get access to freshwater.  If wells don't desalinate anymore I'm going to have to accelerate my plans for the desalination pump/cistern.

Am I correct on the mechanics of that?  The screwpump will desalinate the water and I should be fine as long as it doesn't touch natural stone?  I just need to smooth all the walls/floors it comes in contact with?
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 11:01:00 am »

Hmm...  This might be a problem.

I've got a well under construction specifically to get access to freshwater.  If wells don't desalinate anymore I'm going to have to accelerate my plans for the desalination pump/cistern.

Am I correct on the mechanics of that?  The screwpump will desalinate the water and I should be fine as long as it doesn't touch natural stone?  I just need to smooth all the walls/floors it comes in contact with?

I was under the impression that smoothed natural stone still counted as natural stone, and that you have to build the entire cistern from constructions (floor and walls) in order to maintain desalinzation, but I may be wrong here?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 11:07:59 am »

Since we're asking lots of salt-related questions ...

On a map with only salt water. If you desalinize the water, will freshwater fish pop up in the cistern?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 11:17:35 am »

What about desalination?  If I understand correctly, a screw pump will desalinate the water.  And as long as it doesn't touch natural stone (I'll have to smooth the walls/floor of my cistern) it should stay fresh.  Is this accurate?

As far as I know, smoothed stone is still natural stone. You'd need a constructed cistern.

This did work back in .40d, and probably hasn't changed, but I can't confirm.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 11:26:36 am »

Pretty sure all you'd get are turtles.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 02:06:09 pm »

Pretty sure all you'd get are turtles.

Why would that be bad?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.
Pages: [1] 2