Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't find the 8-legged horror  (Read 595 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Can't find the 8-legged horror
« on: July 13, 2010, 06:00:11 am »

I uncovered my extensive caverns system. Did some probe digging to reveal more of it..
Found 3 spots with GCS webs.
I sent a miner to those spots, in the hope of uncovering the horror, and luring it to my cage traps (which caught a Troll btw), and start a silk farm.
No avail. I've been rather thourough with searching the surroundings of the GCS webs, lost a miner to a Giant bat, but, no GCS popped out of hiding.. Do they wander far? Or is it possible, that they have already died of old age, and only their webs persist?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find the 8-legged horror
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:07:09 am »

I usually just chain up some defenseless animal close to the webs, and wait. IIRC once they leave ambush mode they can't go back to sneaking. I really wouldn't try killing GCS. Their webs are worth oh so much.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 07:11:39 am »

I myself have seen caves full of webs, and no GCS at all, I've only had one later to pop up on a map (And it didn't start in ambush mode oddly enough), I get the idea that a GCS wanders through firing webs about the place and wanders off or some such, since I've had a similar thing many times.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:18:54 am »

I myself have seen caves full of webs, and no GCS at all, I've only had one later to pop up on a map (And it didn't start in ambush mode oddly enough), I get the idea that a GCS wanders through firing webs about the place and wanders off or some such, since I've had a similar thing many times.

Maybe they teleport or have *new* features.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 11:09:31 am »

I get the idea that a GCS wanders through firing webs about the place and wanders off or some such

When you gotta go you gotta go ...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 12:38:32 pm »

Don't worry, it'll find you.

(GCS webs on your map don't mean a GCS is there like they did in 40d. They wander on and off the map like all other cave creatures.)
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.