Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Make artifacts to tend towards useful items and...  (Read 1490 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make artifacts to tend towards useful items and...
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 10:52:12 pm »

I think the only real problem with moods right now is that they create trade goods as well as useful items. Since the trade goods are not admired and don't contribute to room quality (at least, I don't think, I dropped an artifact crown in the middle of my meeting zone and nobody noticed), there's basically no reason to have them. Until dwarves can actually use things like legendary instruments or toys, it would really be nice to get rid of them as random artifacts. Artifact floodgates and such are still useful as furniture, I dropped one in a dining room and it's value jumped 9k.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 10:55:53 pm »

I like the idea of having a shrine or display case, where such things could be presented, to raise the value of a room and inspire happy thoughts.

Might be nice to have in the magic thread, too... shrine + artifact + dwarves = Fun.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 01:18:05 pm »

I love my artifact quern.

martys1103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 03:01:58 pm »

I think required items for artifacts, finished item's type and possibly artifact's quality modifier should be based on mood type:
Fey: Only requires items which exist in fortress. Prefers most expensive materials and the one which he likes. Higher chance to make weapons, armor(slightly better chance to make plate armor and helmets than boots, gauntlets and leggings) , Statues and items which he likes. Lowest quality modifier
Secretive: Nearly same as fey but more random. Can require items which you don't have but you can make. Higher chance for furniture than before but still prefers bigger things than, for example, earrings. Higher quality modifier
Possessed: All things are random, also requires items which you don't have. Highest quality modifier
Last two moods: Not much describing, both materials are easily accessible and can make any item. Highest quality modifier.
Pages: 1 [2]