Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sharing a Fortress?  (Read 1668 times)

Murdoc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Sharing a Fortress?
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:08:42 pm »

Hi,

If I wanted to share a fortress with a friend, what would I send them? I have a region under the saved game, but it's like 28megs... which is a bit too large for me to email... is there anyway of trimming that down and giving them the essentials?

Thanks in advance for the help.

khantin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing a Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:20:49 pm »

you could compress the save into multiple smaller files (like 10 2.5MB chunks) and send them one at a time.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:23:38 pm »

Yeah, you can use a file splitter, or compress it into a .zip or .rar file.

If they live nearby, USB drives are your friend.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:39:31 pm »

You can also upload it to a file service such as rapidshare or the like, only giving the link+password to your buddy via email.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 01:38:33 am »

Super-compress with KGBarchiver if that's still the best one... like packing a supermarket into a basketball.  You can push it to absolutely ridiculous limits, but it just takes a while.  With certain filetypes, you can push several gigs into about 50 MB.  Haven't tried it myself with Dwarf Fortress, but it's definitely worth a look.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:42:57 am by Box »
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 01:49:17 am »

Take "region1" or whichever folder. Rename to whatever you want (I usually do fort name). Compress in .zip. Upload to DFFD. Send URL. Huzzah!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 01:51:28 am »

Super-compress with KGBarchiver if that's still the best one... like packing a supermarket into a basketball.  You can push it to absolutely ridiculous limits, but it just takes a while.  With certain filetypes, you can push several gigs into about 50 MB.  Haven't tried it myself with Dwarf Fortress, but it's definitely worth a look.
Somehow I don't think DF save files have that kind of redundancy.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 02:00:00 am »

Take "region1" or whichever folder. Rename to whatever you want (I usually do fort name). Compress in .zip. Upload to DFFD. Send URL. Huzzah!

This.  We really do have it down to a science here with succession forts.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 03:03:38 am »

If you have the same raw and graphics set up, you can remove those from the savegame and have them add their own folder back. That should save some filesize, assuming you're using DF 0.31.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 04:27:38 am »

You can also upload it to a file service such as rapidshare or the like, only giving the link+password to your buddy via email.

Box.net is also good. No need to wait for JavaScript countdown like others, and only the uploader needs to create an account (free). Max. 25Mb for a single file, total 1Gb storage.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 05:51:06 am »

megaupload.com is great as well. No need to sign up there.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Murdoc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 10:39:30 am »

Thanks everyone, pretty much what I figured, but was hoping for a smaller file.

Ah well, I'll get to it then, hehe, thanks so much!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 09:39:13 pm »

Thanks everyone, pretty much what I figured, but was hoping for a smaller file.

Ah well, I'll get to it then, hehe, thanks so much!

Just make sure it's zipped. I use 7zip. Never tried it with DF saves, but you can get some pretty good compression usually.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 11:36:10 pm »

I prefer sharebee, it uploads to several others for you so you don't need to worry about your friend already using his one free rapid share download of the day.  ;D
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.