Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digging upwards?  (Read 660 times)

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Digging upwards?
« on: July 12, 2010, 08:13:04 pm »

Im in a terrifying zone right now, and I really don't want to go outsid witht he skeletal slum men and giant eagles. I want to build a hospital above my main entrance and barracks, so is there anyway to penetrate the ceiling and start tunnling up floors?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: Digging upwards?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 08:18:51 pm »

Yeah, you can build or dig a up or a up/down stair on your floor and dig a down or up/down stair on the floor above it.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 08:58:45 pm »

Or just designate an up ramp. It's easier, and if you want to, you can remove the ramp and replace it with stairs later. Designate the up ramp on your level, and they'll automatically dig out the area above.

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:44:30 pm »

Thanks guys

thranguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 02:08:04 pm »

Do watch out, though, because "accidentally dug upward into an aquifer" is usually a fortress-killer.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 02:20:08 pm »

Yeah, once I found one digging up in a freaking mountain.

Try building a hatch one level above your last important level.

Another plan is to go outside, dig into the mountain, and then dig up. Seal off the opening with walls.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

tweinst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 05:09:07 pm »

You could also build a U trap for the water before you start going up. Go down one level, then one square diagonal for a pressure relief, and then you can start going up. If you hit water, it won't get past the pressure relief and the U trap to flood your fortress.