Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Iter Vehemens ad Necem questions?  (Read 21732 times)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Re: Iter Vehemens ad Necem questions?
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2010, 05:15:06 pm »

And if you don't get any of these, at least store away your wands in a lockbox. You don't want them to break.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2010, 05:18:22 pm »

I had this one life I ended with so much HP that I could step on mines for fun and they would barely scratch me.

Or so I thought... Until I had about 5 of them explode on my face at the same time.

Edit: Btw... Roguelike... not rougelike... Even tho IVAN is probably rougelike, with all the blood.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:22:48 pm by Soulwynd »

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2010, 10:13:54 pm »

Fun game but I got frustrated with it when I finally got to the temple and delivered the message, and died shortly after.

So many deaths to get up there!

Let's see..

- For some reason my bodyparts decided to drop off one by one
- Thought it would be a good idea to 'use' a gunpowder keg.. I thought I could use it then throw it into the giant plants mouth to kill it.. Plus the fact I was carrying a few different wands.
- Ate a mushroom and could levitate. Levitated to an island and the effect stopped. Had to quit that character because I couldn't find any way off.
- Various animals getting lucky criticals

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2010, 08:12:39 am »

What would you say is the best IVAN mod?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2010, 09:16:46 am »

Once your really REALLY used to Ivan you avoid most of the stupid deaths and even some of the non-stupid but non-the-less annoying deaths (such as traps)

However Ivan isn't as simple as it may seem. Once you get the hang of it and you can advance through the game consistently it throws you several curve balls. In fact everything earlier can be considered the "Easy" part.

Anyhow here are my tips:
1) If you find a firesword keep it in your inventory even if you don't plan on using it. It is basically an unbreakable lamp (well it can break... it just still works afterwords)
2) Keep Firewands in a box or just don't carry them around.
3) If an item increases your health total, do not have it equipped when you advance a level due to a bug (The game thinks your much stronger then you should be).
4) If you see a floating eye, just Vomit on it. Honestly it is the BEST way to kill it (In fact early on your vomit can clear walls).
5) Wishes should be used for Belt of Levitation or Amulet of Lifesaving (I THINK you can't use it for artifacts)
6) Troll blood is vital as it is the only way to regenerate bodyparts outside of divine intervention.
7) Hedgehogs are perfectly safe to eat. Goblins are safe but Kobolds are not.

For some reason my bodyparts decided to drop off one by one
- Thought it would be a good idea to 'use' a gunpowder keg.. I thought I could use it then throw it into the giant plants mouth to kill it.. Plus the fact I was carrying a few different wands.
- Ate a mushroom and could levitate. Levitated to an island and the effect stopped. Had to quit that character because I couldn't find any way off.
- Various animals getting lucky criticals

1) You contacted Leprosy. You get it from Zombies and it causes your bodyparts to just fall off. It pretty much ends the game (Think of it as an instant kill disease you can get at the start of the game)
2) Throw it man... (Generally speaking do NOT carry around explosives that arn't in protective cases)
3) Mushrooms give different effects depending on their gas and yes you can even avoid the first dungeon altogether if you play your cards right.
4) You mean the Hedgehog. It doesn't critical it does damage to you when you hit it. It isn't a lot but a starting character with no equipment is totally overpowered by it.

As for the best IVAN mod...

If I remember correctly it is LIVAN
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:32:35 am by Neonivek »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2010, 11:51:55 am »

I still think vanilla Ivan is better than any mod, maybe because I'm used to it.

Leprosy is not a certain death, there are various ways (antidote, certain gods) that can heal it. Vomiting might work, but don't do it often, it quickly empties your stomach. Wishes can be used for artifacts (I had two Saal-Thuls once) but most of the time, you want a belt of levitation. An amulet of lifesaving is not as great as it sounds, because if you just got your ass handed to you by something, respawning in exactly the right place won't do you much good most of the time. I honestly think the other amulet is much more usefull. As for the hedgehog, it will damage your arms if you hit it, but won't do much damage otherwise (unless it's lucky). A good way is to let it fight your puppy. If your puppy wins, perfect, if not, use the puppy corpse to bash the hedgehog without hurting your arms. About what's safe to eat: poison glands aren't. Also, shrooms might haev a shroomy effect.
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2010, 02:40:04 pm »

Leprosy is handled in a different way from other ailments. It will effect an individual body part, and try to spread out while giving the limb a chance to fall off. It's possible that you may only lose a single limb to it. If this is the case, do not have the limb re-attached. You'll get it again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2010, 03:23:24 pm »

Compiling IVAN is somewhat of a hassle. It won't even begin until you #include <cstdlib> in FeLib/Source/festring.cpp. Then you've got to alternate repeatedly between attempting to compile and fixing stuff that is now broken due to new compilers and such. That's what happens when you try building something that's been abandoned for five years.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2010, 03:25:53 pm »

LIVAN is a pretty good version of it.

More items, more enemies, more unique dungeon floors and branches and a prayer timer(makes maintaining a good relationsipt to your gods so much easier).

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2010, 03:31:55 pm »

Now that IVAN is compiled and happily chugging away, has anyone ever found a holy handgrenade of Antioch on the first floor of a new game?

Besides me, that is...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 05:23:26 pm by Mephisto »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2010, 05:10:13 pm »

Now that IVAN is compiled and happily chugging away, has anyone ever found a holy handgrenade of Antioch on the first floor of a new game?

oddly enough, no.......
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2010, 06:26:23 am »

I have scrolled through 3 pages of google and I can only find music. Not Livan when I google Livan

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2010, 07:29:23 am »

You can find most branches on www.attnam.com, including Livan
*WHACK*

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2010, 12:43:20 pm »

5) Wishes should be used for Belt of Levitation or Amulet of Lifesaving (I THINK you can't use it for artifacts)
Spoiler: You can. (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2010, 01:12:48 pm »

Spoiler: You can. (click to show/hide)

No you can't. You can wish for other artifacts though. The Extremely Special Artifacts You Need For Special Endings can only be wished in cheat (wizard) mode where you can wish everything.
*WHACK*
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7