Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how do i get rid o bodies?  (Read 1821 times)

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how do i get rid o bodies?
« on: July 12, 2010, 05:52:44 pm »

So I started to get a bit scarce on water when some immigrants came to my fortress.  I did all I could to carve out more rooms and make a couple more stills, while making barrels for the wine/beer.  A couple of my dwarves died however.  Their miasma made other people go crazy and kill more dwarves, and even after the miasma is gone, the corpses that are on the stairs seem to scare off 90% of my survivors so they sit underground and starve to death.  Is there any way to get rid of bodies?  my refuse pile is outside of my fortress, but no one is touching ANY of the bodies.  I even built a small refuse pile right next to bodies to see if that would work, it didn't.

I pulled everything back together from what seemed like a sure fire failure due to dehydration, and this is the only problem I am having at this point.  Anyone have any suggestions?

I lost one dwarf early on a few hours ago, and his body is still there, so I dont think my stupid dwarves are going to do anything about it. 

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: how do i get rid o bodies?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 05:56:30 pm »

You could try making some coffins, building them, and then allowing burial in them. That's the only way to clear dwarf corpses. For all other corpses, refuse stockpiles with refuse set to be gathered from outside on the orders menu.

You might also try the graveyard stockpile.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 06:01:48 pm »

If you play 0.31, the corpses of vermin and other creatures wont rot, so another good thing to use would be the dwarven atomsmasher.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 06:05:15 pm »

oh dang lol.  i had a bunch of coffins, but i didnt allow burial.  thanks :D

i looked everywhere for a solution to this i thought.  there is so much to this game, i have been playing for like 12 hours and i feel like i still have a lot to learn.

Tel_Janin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 06:12:57 pm »

Also, if you just want to move dorf corpses out of the way, graveyard stockpiles are the way to go. [p]->[y]

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 06:13:41 pm »

If you're particularly heartless you can dig a pit and then dump the bodies in them.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 06:18:14 pm »

If you're particularly heartless you can dig a pit and then dump the bodies in them.

Or into the magma ocean.

Or break open the HFS and dump them in there.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 06:18:24 pm »

oh dang lol.  i had a bunch of coffins, but i didnt allow burial.  thanks :D

i looked everywhere for a solution to this i thought.  there is so much to this game, i have been playing for like 12 hours and i feel like i still have a lot to learn.

Don't worry.  Some of us have been playing for months (or more!) and still haven't learned everything there is to learn.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 06:20:21 pm »

is there anything functionally the same as a bin or barrel made with stone?

EDIT:  Also, is there any way to get rid of the 10 million articles of clothing that came off the dead guys?  Their clothes are filling up my finished goods piles

EDIT2:  Does anyone have any tips on how to make bags out of plants? 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:42:54 pm by crucifier »

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 06:23:14 pm »

No, but you can make barrels and bins out of metal.  Though that's probably not the best solution if all you have is gold aluminum and funite.

I like the magma sea as graveyard disposal, return dwarves to new stone  8)  Other dwarves won't get unhappy thoughts from their friends rotting (Which caused them to tantrum, and kill more dwarves, cause more to tantrum and kill more and so on, a tantrum spiral :3)

Welcome to dwarf fortress, make peace with your god.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 07:16:49 pm »

Or into the magma ocean.

Or break open the HFS and dump them in there.

Magma cremation seems a little more respectful (and dwarfy) than just tossing them in a hole and leaving them to rot unburied.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 09:23:57 pm »

how do i set my dwarvss to kill all animals they see, even tames and such?  stupid animals are walking around my construction sites not letting me build

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 03:24:27 am »

Hello mr. Secret Service person from an unspecified country reading this thread because it was flagged by your computers; try Dwarf Fortress. It's a great game.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 05:36:06 am »

how do i get rid o bodies?

Not as easy as you thought it would be before you got in this mess, eh?

I don't recommend the whole blender-and-bathtub thing.  What are you going to do when the drain backs up?  Lye is overrated.

Likewise, eating them sounds really devious and perfect, until you realize how much is left over.

Burial seems reasonable, but there's ALWAYS some stray dog that gets you into trouble.

The tried-and-true solution: just move them someplace far away.  And be careful of tracking contaminants back to your fort.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 05:49:45 am »

Lol at Nil Eyeglazed :D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
Pages: [1] 2