Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Here is a worldgen/embark location for dummies  (Read 1955 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Here is a worldgen/embark location for dummies
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:46:19 pm »

After spending a lot of the weekend fiddling with parameters and regenning world after world I got lucky and found a combination of settings and random seed for a good "easy" embark location. 

It's got a volcano where the magma level doesn't go all the way to the top so less danger of encasing your fort in magma as long as you build your furnaces up high.  So far I have mined out plenty of gems, copper, tin, nickel, lead, gold, silver, iron and marble; everything for a nice metalsmithing industry, including steel.  No aquifer and a river cuts off one corner way in the northwest.  Far from the center of the map but well below most of the mountain height, which makes it a lot harder to flood your fort, and most importantly it's fishable for mussels, providing your insane dwarfs with desirable shells.  The local wildlife consists mainly of elephants (Now Easier To Kill!(tm)), providing a ***-ton of bones, meat, tallow and practice for your military.  The small forest is nonetheless dense enough to provide a good supply of wood, and plenty of plants for an aboveground farm.  Underground farming is quick enough to get running by draining one of the few scattered ponds if you don't want to embark on a lengthy irrigation project.  Pretty much the one thing it doesn't have is sand. 

However, elves seem to have become extinct.  Whether this is a good or bad thing depends, I suppose.

I haven't broken into caverns yet, so I can't say anything about those.

I've been trying combinations forever to find a good "easy" startup area when I wanted to build something out quick to experiment without having to gen up a bunch of maps or hunt a decent embark location.  And of course it's a great noob map to start out with.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Here is a worldgen/embark location for dummies
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:50:55 pm »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:52:07 pm »

Interesting site, but not something I'm looking for :C.

I've bee doing some worldgen experiments, trying to get me a glacier with a source of magma, but no luck so far. I have a thing for building semi above ground fortresses in glaciers, but I miss the convenience of magma quite a bit.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 03:55:13 pm »

Maybe you could get the elves to exist again by changing the CREATURE and/or HISTORY seeds only?

DerImpresario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 09:03:17 pm »

Using a different seed for history and creatures leads to very different results - elves are very much alive and kicking in the south, but were subjugated by humans in the north. Dwarves, though, were largely peripheral.