Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So I'm trying to tame fish...  (Read 1068 times)

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
So I'm trying to tame fish...
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:24:12 pm »

I found a thread from march detailing someone's idea for defending their fortress with carp, and decided to try it. I embarked to a temperate desert with a river after adding the [PET] tag to longnose gar, sturgeon, and carp. Lo and behold, the river
is home to a trio of sturgeon and a longnose gar. I laid out my plan to make a large area adjacent to the river that I can drain and fill at will using some pumps and a huge wall of floodgates, which would be right in front of a huge wall of traps. It all started to come together, but I had a growing concern about the fish. By the time half my floodgate wall was complete, the sturgeon and longnose gar had left the map, and no more have entered (to my knowledge - I was checking every 5 minutes or so via the unit list) in the half year or so since they left. Meanwhile, several packs of vultures and camels have migrated through...

Anyone know if there's some known bug that would prevent new fish from coming through?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:30:45 pm by Leeko »
"Asen Zoz, 'The Gravel of Pondering' - This is a Alunite Harp. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Blossomeven the Cold Tactics the perfect precious fire opal in Precious fire opal."

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm trying to tame fish...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:35:45 pm »

I find there to be no less than one group of animals (or a large predator type) to be on any 3X3 local map. I'm not too sure of larger maps, but considering what you've written. I would say that you can probably only two groups of local migrating wild life on your map.

Just kill them, it will make the whole migration of animals faster. Also, have you checked if your fishes have died?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:38:55 pm »

They're not on the unit list as deceased, and I don't have a military or any hunters yet, so I don't see how they could have died. Thanks for the advice, when my fortress is a little bigger I'll draft some useless dorfs and get right on that. I can already smell the abundance of camel meat...

EDIT: If they had died, more would come to the region right?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:49:56 pm by Leeko »
"Asen Zoz, 'The Gravel of Pondering' - This is a Alunite Harp. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Blossomeven the Cold Tactics the perfect precious fire opal in Precious fire opal."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 06:48:55 pm »

I have never known river creatures to respawn.  I don't know that they actually ever do, and given the way creature spawning occurs I'd expect them to randomly spawn on the map edges on land like ocean creatures do sometimes if they did.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 06:57:49 pm »

You might be able to keep the carp/gar/whatever alive by pumping water into it.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 06:58:49 pm »

That seems to explain my situation.  I've got a longrunning fortress in its 10th year, and I haven't seen any more carp or other river creatures since the winter freeze killed off the first pack of 'em. 
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Bralor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 07:06:45 pm »

I recently embarked in a major river with a bit of a lake on one side of the map. The first day I had like 6 caps in the river and the lake. About a year later they were gone and never saw any other water creature until a stingray showed up 3 years later. So I think they spawn, but rearly.

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 07:07:55 pm »

Guess my carp defense plan is a no-go. :'(

Keeping them alive was never the issue though. I was going to build their cages in front of 1x1 ponds filled by bucket brigade, and dump them right in. Taming an animal doesn't require releasing it from its cage and as long as the cage was in 4/7 water when the trap went off the fish won't air-drown. I almost hate to ask, but does there exist a memory hack that would let me add some more fish back in?  :-[

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 07:19:10 pm »

So it would seem adding the [PET] tag to various fish in the raws had an awesome side-effect. Some elf merchants just arrived with a tamed pike in a cage. Huzzah!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 07:20:17 pm »

So it would seem adding the [PET] tag to various fish in the raws had an awesome side-effect. Some elf merchants just arrived with a tamed pike in a cage. Huzzah!
It will probably die of air loss soon.
Proud of my heritage.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 07:26:36 pm »

It'd be in a terrarium, so I don't see how.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 07:31:10 pm »

It'd be in a terrarium, so I don't see how.
Aquarium, to be exact.
Is it green glass?
Proud of my heritage.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 08:10:55 pm »

What does green glass have to do with it?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 08:19:22 pm »

Fish will survive in cages just fine, even if those cages aren't made of glass.  Just as air-breathing creatures will survive in non-glass cages dumped underwater.  Cages are funny that way.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 08:23:34 pm »

Taming an animal doesn't require releasing it from its cage and as long as the cage was in 4/7 water when the trap went off the fish won't air-drown.

I have successfully inserted my new tamed pike into a 1x1 pool. Now to wait for the elves to bring more... :D
Oh and it was in a normal cage. Cages are indeed funny that way.
Pages: [1] 2