Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MarksDwarfs  (Read 891 times)

Alcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MarksDwarfs
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:28:44 pm »

Did they even get fixed? I can't get them to train.

OMGHAXX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: MarksDwarfs
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 01:14:56 pm »

They are fixed, but archery targets are not.

Send them out to kill wildlife.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:29:06 pm »

You might want to try capturing and chaining a goblin, then have your marksdwarves fire wooden bolts at him. Probably gives more xp anyway.

Alcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 02:35:51 pm »

Good idea, Would the wooden bolts kill him? I could try to catch a heavily armoured goblin too. The Cavern is always a good place too.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 03:07:16 pm »

Yeah, build a ring of fortifications, plop a large roach and a statue in the middle, and bingo, target range!
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 03:11:11 pm »

If you're unlucky, they would kill him, but it's not very likely especially if he's armored. Just capture a few dozen goblins and you've got enough training material for a while.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 03:17:57 pm »

I had fortifications with newly freed goblins running around in the new version, and my marksdwarf wouldn't shoot at them.  Yet he would shoot through a fortification during a siege down a z-level to the invaders below.  The only thing I can think of is that they won't shoot if there isn't a path to the goblin (there was a really long path in the siege, but none with the fortifications where he wouldn't shoot).  Or it was just bugged somehow.  Or I'm forgetting to do something.

As for getting archery targets to work, check out greycat and Psieye's posts in the 31.10 thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61190.105

They seem to have success.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 05:02:44 pm »

If I want my marksdwarves to train with wooden bolts, do I have to specifically assign them wooden bolts, and then switch them over to metal bolts manually if I want to use them? Or can I assign them metal bolts, and they will automatically grab wooden ones for practice?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 05:09:02 pm »

No, in m -> f, you can assign them 2 kinds of bolts and use "T"rain and "C"ombat.

If you're unlucky, they would kill him, but it's not very likely especially if he's armored. Just capture a few dozen goblins and you've got enough training material for a while.

I meant like this

F+FFFFFFF
F+F+++FFF
F+F+F+F:)F
F+FRF+FxF
F+FFF+F:)F
F+++++FF
FFFFFFFFF
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 06:09:51 pm »

I got my marksdwarfs to shoot on targets too, you seam to need to put overlaping barracks to make them train (especially a chest it seam). I got this from the post about the last version in the annoucement section, thanks to the one who give the tips.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 06:59:33 pm »

No, in m -> f, you can assign them 2 kinds of bolts and use "T"rain and "C"ombat.

Man it would be nice if melee dwarves had that too, so you could, say, have steel combat weapons and silver or wood training weapons (which they put away when not training).

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 07:25:19 pm »

I know... here's hoping it'll be in a future update.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 11:37:14 pm »

My marksdwarf is shooting at an archery target.  No overlap.

I originally had him in another, mixed squad.  After designating the archery target, he kept doing melee practice, so I put him in his own squad.  He STILL kept practicing melee, so I removed his old squad's weapon rack.  After that, he began shooting at the archery target.  Still a little buggy-- spends a hell of a lot of time cancelling pick-up bolt jobs, but he does plenty of shooting too.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 12:09:18 am »

I tried to get my marksdwarves to be good... they picked up xbows, but no quivers. All my quivers were in bins. So was my ammo. I tried making stockpiles that didn't accept bins, and [t]ake from the binned stockpiles, to no avail.
(I recall something like take from stockpile is broken? Maybe thats why)

Then my other squad got stuck trying to attend a dodging demonstration put on by the marksdwarves squad. Gah.