Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Roadsaviors (31.08, year 25 after embark)  (Read 9260 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roadsaviors (31.08, year 25 after embark)
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 02:44:59 pm »

A nice side effect of hunting with soldiers is that each weapon has its own long and detailed history. Each weapon is heavily decorated, and passed from dwarf to dwarf. You can see the kills made with the weapon and the past wielders of the weapon. The weapon itself is decorated with metal and the bones of the defeated in a manner similar to Planepacked.

Also soldiers require very little overhead. Really all you need to do is designate a burrow and order them to defend the burrow. They'll take care of things from there. They're flexible as well, so they can deal with things such as goblins, a berserk dwarf, or a FB. Yes, some soldiers are lost on occasion, but that is merely another entry to be recorded in the history of the fortress engraved onto the armor and weapons.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 03:00:56 pm »

Pretty badass.

RELEASE THE CLOWNS!

Or, if you are slightly more sensible: BUILD MOAR! LIEK, MAOR!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2010, 03:21:24 pm »

One step at a time.

First I want to sanitize the caverns. All of them. All local wildlife will be exterminated. This takes about a decade to do, but is doable. The first cavern has been sanitized long ago. I want to make them safe for dwarves. Then I want to build cities in the now safe caverns. I may even abandon the current fortress and leave it as a ghost town. Just move everyone deeper, towards the magma.

By that time I'll probably have enough dwarves grown up that I'll have 200ish dwarves. And yes, I'm actually on my 3rd generation of dwarves now.  :D

Also the surface citadel needs to be built. The current surface defenses are pretty bad. They need a lot of improvement.

Then I'll dig into the adamantine.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2010, 03:22:05 pm »

This fortress is awesome, and FPS friendly too! If only I were that lucky/good at designing. Just today I had to abandon a fort because the Lagmonster ate my FPS.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 03:39:06 pm »

One thing I have noticed is that lots of pathing up or down the spiral ramps does hurt FPS. Its the biggest FPS drop by far. If no one is running up and down the ramps I get 200 FPS. If everyone is running up and down the ramps is closer to 70ish FPS.

This is why I prefer to not make too much use of the vertical. While building a city within a cavern would be awesome, I would probably have to isolate the building to just a single cavern level to minimize ramp usage, and thus preserve FPS. I could leave the upper levels as abandoned ruins. Goblins would be invited to plunder the abandoned upper levels, and then my soldiers would paint the walls red.

The middle cavern is probably the best suited for building a city in, though there would be the issues of having to pump magma up to the middle cavern. Lower cavern doesn't have the right sort of natural rock forms to be really useful for building, though I could always construct stuff out of rock blocks. Upper cavern is already sort of cramped.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 06:41:30 pm »

This is glorious.

WE MUST MAKE CHALLENGES TO MEET HYDIS'S SKILL LEVAL, IT IS OVAR 9000!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 06:44:34 pm »

I'm currently in the process of sanitizing the caverns. This means my military is under heavy demands, and my masons, miners, and engineers are also quite busy cleaning up the place. Once the caverns have been secured I'll then move on to my next megaproject. Could be moving the fortress down into the caverns and turning the current fortress with its great halls into just an excessively elaborate arena for dwarf on goblin sparring practice. Not sure, but there are several more megaprojects that need to be done.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 06:47:38 pm »

You seriously need to upload that save before you destroy the upper levels.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2010, 06:49:09 pm »

Is there a Dwarf equivalent of turning disused buildings into excessive wargames?

Wait, redundant statement.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2010, 06:49:40 pm »

You seriously need to upload that save before you destroy the upper levels.

Agreed.

And then make a dorfputer that can hook up to the interwebs and post in this thread. 0.o :P

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2010, 06:53:27 pm »

Heh, I'm not going to destroy it. :P

Just abandon it. Deconstruct the workshops and move the stockpiles all down lower closer to the magma. All of the rooms and walls will remain there, only empty. I'll move the dwarves down lower and then turn the old now abandoned fortress into just a giant military camp full of goblin doom!  :D

I'll get an upload going of the current version tonight. Several more years have passed, but I've been focusing on reclaiming the caverns for dwarvenkind. Also, plump helmet man ranching! No changes have been made to the main fortress except for the plump helmet man zoo and a couple traps to deal with annoying fliers moving up the well.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 06:58:42 pm »

oh, i didnt knw you were moving into the caverns,

in my current fort i already did that, the main area is centered around a magma vent that travels~100z's

its as dangerous as hell in theory, any flier creature could swoop down and kill my dwarfs if they wanted, and some have, they were quickly eliminated.. anyway

i just put cage traps close to the entrances from the sides of the walls, catch alot of food that way

its year 12 in that fort, not much has truly been done except for the dining hall and the major project of removing all outside z-levels to groud level
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 07:00:01 pm »

Also my fortresses are long term things. I think it'll probably take another 10 in game years to properly sanitize the caverns. Then after that a few more years setting up new rooms, building and carving into the rock to create a new fortress, and there'd be the migration, moving everything down into the new areas.

Constructing a proper above ground fortress will probably take another 10-15 years. So that would be around year 1100 that everything would be done, by which point the children of the first migrants will be almost 50 years old.  :o

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2010, 07:00:45 pm »

Hes not just moving down there, he is terraforming it
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2010, 07:00:47 pm »

oh, i didnt knw you were moving into the caverns,

in my current fort i already did that, the main area is centered around a magma vent that travels~100z's

its as dangerous as hell in theory, any flier creature could swoop down and kill my dwarfs if they wanted, and some have, they were quickly eliminated.. anyway

i just put cage traps close to the entrances from the sides of the walls, catch alot of food that way

its year 12 in that fort, not much has truly been done except for the dining hall and the major project of removing all outside z-levels to groud level

Building in the caverns is fine so long as you secure the edges of the map. Build walls tall which will force fliers down onto the ground, where weapon traps can deal with them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7