Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Roadsaviors (31.08, year 25 after embark)  (Read 9247 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roadsaviors (31.08, year 25 after embark)
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 03:40:17 pm »

15 legendary miners can dig surprisingly fast.  :D

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 05:59:39 pm »

Mega Project Mega Project Mega Project!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 06:02:12 pm »

Conquering the underworld and slaying all wildlife in each of the three caverns counts as a megaproject.

The first cavern has already been sanitized. All wildlife is gone, and no wildlife has appeared in the upper cavern for over 10 game years now. It is perfectly safe for dwarves to wander about there without protection.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 06:03:38 pm »

Well, yes, but I want moar megaprojects! I'm your biggest fan *sniff*

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 11:47:44 pm »

Very nice work Hyndis. Though usually when I do the spiraled ramp down, I make my killing chamber(s) at the bottom of it. That way my dwarves won't have to wander up to the surface and get sunsick to pick up the spoils, they can pick up the spoils in the glorious darkness of the fortress. Hehe but because of that my entrances on the surface is usually lil more than a stone cottage.

And wow never knew the caverns wildlife could be depleted like the surface. I thought they jus kept spitting out new spawns like an evil region does with undead. Then again I usually wall off the caverns after I finish tapping them for my water source, and make my own self-contained cavern room.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 12:55:51 am »

Very nice, it seems unnecessarily large, but that might be your preference.

I really enjoy seeing other people's forts, especially the well developed ones with lots of POI's like this one.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 11:05:23 am »

You're complaining that the fortress is too big?  :o

Thats new! Bigger! Moar! Because MOAR!   :D

Pit traps can be fun, yes, but they just make things too easy. I like watching the history of the weapons. You can see the wielders of the weapons, who killed what, and when the previous wielder died. I also heavily decorate the weapons and armor so it becomes like a living history and reliquary of the fortress.

To ensure that everything is properly decorated I cycle through squads. Every once in a while I delete all squads and make new squads, which means that the armor and weapons get mixed up again in a game of musical chairs, with the extra weapons and armor going to the forges for decoration.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 10:18:25 am »

The 2nd and 3rd caverns have been breached. As there is a natural passage leading from the 2nd to 3rd cavern I'm just using that natural passage. Cage traps have been laid to catch interesting wildlife.

Soldiers set to defend the caverns have been extremely busy defeating the innumerable horrors of the deep, though it has been beneficial in producing mountains of meat for even more roasts.

Rutherers are currently the bane of my fortress. While they do not seek out combat they have an annoying tendency to "accidentally" bump into one of my dwarves, tearing them literally limb from limb within seconds. I have set up more cage traps in an attempt to secure a breeding population of these beasts for farming.

I think it may be wise to replace the cage traps with weapon traps, as I grow tired of their constant harassment. Already nearly a dozen dwarves have been wounded by them, including two deaths.

Terraforming is progressing nicely along the caverns. Rather than messy ramps everywhere the caverns are being altered so that there are numerous trapped bottlenecks, accessible by stairs only in a select few places. This assists greatly with security and also allows my military to more easily corner any hostiles.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 11:01:15 am »

i hav a breeding pair of rutherers, actually, more like 7-8 breeding pairs

tip: rutherers give birth to twins, almost always
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 11:04:30 am »

The breeding plan is probably just not needed. If I need meat I can trade with a caravan for some meat and then cook it into roasts. I'm probably just going to butcher the rutherers I have already to get rid of them. Either that, or put them into my plump helmet man exhibit.

Yes, I have a plump helmet man exhibit. Its a zoo exhibit behind glass windows.    :D

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 11:06:25 am »

if i were you i would train the rutherers into war rutherers, then send them into the cavern, im going to do that withblind cave ogres and troglodytes, its easier because they can be assign to burrows, and just wander
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 12:05:34 pm »

I just use soldiers. I make the caverns be a burrow and order them to defend the caverns.

They just mow through the local wildlife, and then the local wildlife is hauled up to the butcher workshop for meat, fat, bones, and leather.

This also gives them combat experience which is nice.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 12:11:45 pm »

Inspired by this I made my own fort to build-out my plans for the perfect mountainhome, and lo behold I have 30 z levels 'till the magma ocean and 8 until the first cavern. Definitely should have tinkered with those during world gen, now I have barely any room to actually build stuff.  :'(

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 12:14:29 pm »

I've considered building into the cavern organically, but I just love my masons too much. Must build walls everywhere!

Settings I used were 100 openness, 0 passages, 25 water, and 15 levels between each layer.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 01:00:11 pm »

I'm not going to do anything about the caverns specifically. I do however have patterns that I use for my fortress that I will be forced to impose on the entire cavern, one wall at a time. Like a massive drill extending down through the rock, my fortress grows.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7