Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Roadsaviors (31.08, year 25 after embark)  (Read 9235 times)

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
Re: Roadsaviors (31.08, year 25 after embark)
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2010, 06:20:17 pm »

I loaded up your save. Immanently got attacked by 2 fb at once. I get 20 fps with your fort. I killed all the dogs, and it jumped to 60.'

EDIT
TANTRUM SPIRAL
You need more happy things.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:21:59 pm by Toast024 »
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2010, 09:56:17 pm »

I'm playing with invasions turned off as I'm too busy building things to be bothered with being attacked.

My FPS stays above 100ish most of the time, unless I designate huge areas for mining or woodcutting, in which case it can drop to as low as 20. If everyone's idle it stays at 200. Average is about 100ish though. I've also improved some of the bottlenecks that were causing FPS issues by widening some corridors.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2010, 10:17:57 pm »

GA-P35-DS3L
E8400 OC'ed to 3.6ghz, prime stable 36hrs
4gb 1066mhz memory (running at 960mhz due to OC)
500gb HDD
8800gts320mb
Blue LED's on case (tasteful, not tacky)

speaking of gibberish,  how good is my computer compared to others that actually run three digit fps?

HP pavilion
AMD AThlon(tm) 64 X2 dual
Core Processor 4200+
2.19 GHz, 960 MB of RAM

is that "omg! pwn!" or "pfft when was that made? in the 14th century?"
Not quite 14th century. 18th.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

LaFollet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2010, 09:15:41 am »

http://rapidshare.com/files/407014712/roadsaviors.zip

Note that I do currently play with invaders and temperature turned off. Invaders turned off to reduce hauling annoyances with goblins, and temperature because its a needless FPS hit.

Is there any way you can re-host this somewhere?  Rapidshare caps the number of downloads at 10.  :(

Vulcanius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2010, 02:53:22 pm »

I assume this world was generated with custom parameters. What settings did you use for caverns?

LaFollet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2010, 03:05:06 pm »

I assume this world was generated with custom parameters. What settings did you use for caverns?

Settings I used were 100 openness, 0 passages, 25 water, and 15 levels between each layer.

I think the settings are also stated in the uploaded map, in the comments, though I'm not sure...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2010, 03:28:30 pm »

I'll upload the final revision of that fortress later on tonight. Since 31.12 came out I've moved on, refining the same basic fortress design to improve FPS. I'm currently on revision 3 for this type of fortress design.

One thing I've noticed is that while the spiral ramps do look very nice, particularly open to the top with snow falling down to the bottom, they just murder FPS. A plain old block of 2x2 or 3x3 stairs is far more FPS friendly than the ramps.  :(

LaFollet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2010, 06:14:23 pm »

One thing I've noticed is that while the spiral ramps do look very nice, particularly open to the top with snow falling down to the bottom, they just murder FPS. A plain old block of 2x2 or 3x3 stairs is far more FPS friendly than the ramps.  :(

I've not noticed that exactly with my spiral ramp forts, but what I have noticed is how long it takes for my Dwarves to get around a fortress like that.  Nothing like having to move 10 steps or more to just go down 1z level...

Of course my dislike for how Up/Down Stairs look will prevent me from going back to a 3x3 central core stair design, but I think something along the lines of more compartmentalizing production facilities with limited ramps for Trade Caravans and use of off-set Up and Down stairs will bring better efficiency while still keeping the look that I'm looking for.

Can't wait to take a look around Roadsaviors though!

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2010, 06:19:49 pm »

How many children are there? What are the family ties like at this point?

I'm currently at year 11 on my main fort right now. I'm digging the family lineage thing as forts mature. I eagerly await my first second-generation spawn of dwarves in claspedshocked.

Mine is a military oriented fort with a large, circular double-sided wall of solid gold measuring 3 stories encasing a central silver pyramid. I think I'll post it once the last of the main wall is patched up.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2010, 06:45:57 pm »

There tend to be a lot of single dwarves, with 3-4 mega families. Mothers with 20+ children. Everyone else is all single and friendless. However these queen dwarves reproduce so quickly that any dip under the child limit instantly causes all of the 3-4 mega moms to become pregnant again. I use a low child limit of 25. However like all limits in the game its not absolute, and so if there are 24 children all 3-4 megamoms can get pregnant at the same time, resulting in 27-28 children a few seasons later. Then the children grow up to become spearcatchers, and more babies are born.

This has an interesting effect with the military though. As I recruit peasants into my military this means that almost all soldiers are related to each other. Military tantrums are more common, as a single death will cause much unhappiness as that dead dwarf is related to a dozen other dwarves in the military. This is why I put cage traps around each bottleneck in my fortress. Any berserk dwarves are very quickly captured in cages, then hauled to a stockpile where they slowly die of starvation in their tiny cage. Once dead the remains are hauled to a butcher workshop for a final humiliation, then the pieces put into a coffin.

For some reason they will butcher dwarves who die in cages, yet they will not eat the dwarf.

Elves? The butchers and cooks are all over those! But not dwarves.

Vulcanius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2010, 08:28:35 pm »

Mothers with 20+ children.

Urist McDuggar?

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2010, 04:31:31 am »

Very nice game, i too cant wait for the save. Just want to understand how a few things where done. Looks amazing.
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2010, 09:51:29 am »

Err, oops. Uploaded the wrong map! This is NOT Roadsaviors. This is the next fortress I built using improved designs.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9484-roadsaviors1088  <==not Roadsaviors!

However I did load the save here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3043 The save file is Roadsaviors.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2010, 01:14:46 am »

Err, oops. Uploaded the wrong map! This is NOT Roadsaviors. This is the next fortress I built using improved designs.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9484-roadsaviors1088  <==not Roadsaviors!

However I did load the save here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3043 The save file is Roadsaviors.

Thanks so much Hyndis, I'm more of a visual learner and its hard for me to understand the wiki most times lol. You have a lot of very cool stuff in that fort and i had a couple questions i wanted to look at with the save game. Again thanks so much.

UPDATE: Never mind now its giving me an error, something about "missing building definition: Practice_workshop", closes after that. :(
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:37:36 am by TDSS02 »
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2010, 03:46:52 am »

Probably it's due to the extra squares that need to be checked each time the pathfinding code needs to go up or down the ramp.  Quite often the dwarf will have to walk in the opposite direction to his target, to reach the next level and go around.  Also, the shortest path will always be around the very inside of the spiral, so dwarves will be constantly meeting and passing each other.  For a 3x3 stair, none of these is true.

I'm trying to find a ramp design where dwarves travel in one direction only, and use an opposite ramp (or perhaps stairs) to travel in the other direction.  It would help if we knew more about the pathfinding code, to come up with a design that optimised the searches.  I'm fairly sure a lot of lag in large fortresses is due to dwarves looking for ways to go around each other.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7