Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Roadsaviors (31.08, year 25 after embark)  (Read 9237 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roadsaviors (31.08, year 25 after embark)
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:04:30 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9123  :D

Work in progress. You can see my notes for future constructions in the POI's.

Invaders are currently turned off as I'm trying to complete so many different projects all at the same time that I can't be bothered with hauling away goblin corpses.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
Re: Roadsaviors (31.08, year 25 after embark)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 12:00:42 pm »

This is awesome, how does it handle fps wise?
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 12:12:35 pm »

Getting around 90ish while doing stuff. If I stop ordering all sorts of new constructions everywhere around the map and just let things idle I get around 200 FPS with a bunch of idlers.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 12:14:18 pm »

How many Dwarfs do you have? I can see you have no (or very little) animals running around. If your dwarf count is high, this MAY be the most fps effective fort ever.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 12:24:35 pm »

Around 140-150ish dwarves. I have very few animals. They're just annoying. I kept them around mostly to explore the caverns. The caverns are now explored and so there is no use for them.

Food production is already obscene. I have some 800 leather sitting around just taking up all of my bins.

For security I just use dwarves. If a dwarf goes berserk I've got 40 armed and armored dwarves ready to pile on top of him.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 12:29:24 pm »

That is amazing. May I see the save, just to see if its the layout, or if your computer is magic.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:37:33 pm »

I'll upload the save when I get a chance.

The major FPS killer is pathing. Pathing up and down the spiral ramps, even though they're ramps, kills FPS. Get 50 dwarves running up and down the ramps hauling things and FPS plummets as low as 60-70. More idlers the more the FPS increases. If nearly everyone is idle the FPS is quite high.

This is another reason why I turned off invasions, as hauling goblin junk would mean dwarves would be running up and down the big ramp, killing FPS, slowing things down, and generating lots of busywork hauling the useless stuff. While I do like the design of ramps and how they look, I'm still not convinced that ramps are the most efficient in terms of FPS. A 2x2 or 3x3 block of up/down stairs seems to have much less of an FPS impact than a ramp spiral.

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 01:16:56 pm »

What kind of machine are you running this map on?  (Just out of curiosity and for comparison's sake.  Thanks.)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 01:43:43 pm »

Win XP, E8400 OC'ed to 3.6ghz, 4gb memory.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 01:49:35 pm »

I love the entrance pit and the large but purposeful, clean-cut architecture  :D
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 02:01:01 pm »

Very nice.

I'm playing around with an entrance somewhat the opposite of what you have. I dig out a deep pit, however leave a centre column (and a wall-bridge to this column), then spiral a staircase down around that.

I am also using similar moria-pillars for my grand hall, however my grand hall serve only as an entrance. In my current fort, I have 4 rows of pillars (maybe 10 tiles apart) by 4 rows of pillars going a planned 8 levels up. They start as 4x4, however they are 2x2 whenever they are not in contact with the floor or ceiling, so they get a sleeker look if they're ever visualised.

I have then added my own personal touch: When coming from the entrance, the second row of pillars running across your path are not as much pillars as they are fortification chambers, running all the way up to my barracks, situated above the grand hall. Similar to the regular pillars, they are sleek until they hit the floor, where they bulge out and form 2 levels of fortification that armoured dwarves can shoot/stream out of. With hatch covers on the staircase to make them completely unstormable. Unfortunately, I have yet to test this system as I accidentally embarked in a no-goblin area and I have too good traps on my entrance bridge to allow any kobold raids. :(

I like your workshop designs. I usually cram my workshops into as tight a space as possible to increase efficiency, but I might consider making genuine halls for workshops, similar to how I am beginning to make grander and grander designs. If a single section of my fort goes architecture over efficiency, there's no reason to hold back on the other fronts, eh. :D

SenorPez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 02:08:23 pm »

Very cool. Congrats on getting to year 25 without "accidentally" murdering everyone, too. :D

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 02:59:25 pm »

I considered using a vertical pillar in the middle of the ramp. The walls would be all fortifications, and the middle would be up/down stairs. Marksdwarves would patrol up and down the pillar, so they would provide firing coverage on the entire path.

It would be placed right where the trade depot currently is on my map. However as this is a 31.08 fortress, marksdwarves aren't working, and so I scrapped the pillar.

Instead the defense is handled by having a squad on guard duty at the outside gate to make sure nothing sneaks by, and then 3-4 squads on defend burrow, with the entire surface designated as a burrow.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 03:02:07 pm »

This, is godly.

Now, you must build a megafortress pls, because I like your stuff.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 03:27:43 pm »

That geand hall is amazing. How long did it take to excavate all that?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7