Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavern  (Read 365 times)

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cavern
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:11:07 am »

I used to play Dwarf Fortress 40d and now that I've started up again I've got some questions about caverns in the new version.

First: Are there caverns on every embark spot?
Second: How do you locate caverns without exploratory mining? Is there any pattern for their placement?

Thanks.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:16:55 am »

I used to play Dwarf Fortress 40d and now that I've started up again I've got some questions about caverns in the new version.

Second: How do you locate caverns without exploratory mining? Is there any pattern for their placement?

Thanks.
1:Yes.
2:Dig up/down stairs to about 15 z levels, and if you haven't breached by then, mine in a random direction.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:13:30 am by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 10:20:27 am »

Thanks.
2:Dig up/down stairs to about 15 z levels, and if you haven't breached by then, mine in a random direction.

It's more like 10z levels. Course, I did once find the first cavern level after digging three z levels down.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 12:07:20 pm »

You're supposed to have a buffer right at the surface but after that the caverns can be so close that you get parts of different caverns on the same z level or many levels apart. Those are outliers though, most of the time they're a fairly constant distance apart.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:11:19 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:06:26 pm »

Thanks.

It's more like 10z levels. Course, I did once find the first cavern level after digging three z levels down.

Were you in a valley?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.