Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How important is flux really?  (Read 2702 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How important is flux really?
« on: July 12, 2010, 08:47:21 am »

I know it has a higher value than regular stone and is used to make steel, but is that all it does? Basically, I'm having trouble finding a good site that also has flux. Do flux layers have more ores/minerals/gems than other sedimentary layers?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: How important is flux really?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 08:58:46 am »

Besides providing a good start for trading via mugs, certain layers of flux limestone, dolomite and chalk also contain good levels of other materials.

I'm not sure about marble, but I just like the stuff. Course, it's just a metamorphic layer, not much in the way of metals down there. As for calcite, don't worry about that stuff as it is only found randomly in clusters.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:00:15 am »

I see, so overall it's better to embark somewhere with flux than not?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:02:11 am »

If you want easy access of materials, then yes, it is a good idea. Course IMO, I find that to be too easy.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

anotherthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 09:21:24 am »

You need flux to turn iron in to pig iron and steel.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 09:40:22 am »

Honestly I'm no DF expert yet, I've yet to have a fortress live past 5 years so I have enough trouble without not having any materials :P

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 09:44:06 am »

Flux is absolutely essential if you plan on having any sort of steel-making industry.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 10:15:19 am »

and with the latest version steel is more or less essential for effective metal armor.  Goblins have been buffed so without steel (or something better) armor your melee dorfs are gonna be on the wrong end of a goblin-powered pointy stick a lot more than you want them to.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

RabidRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 10:43:12 am »

Flux makes the game much easier by doubling the value of most of your stone products and by giving you an abundance of steel.

Without a flux layer, you'll either need to import it and maintain a smaller, more elite military, or dig around in a granite layer for cassiterite to make bronze, which is just as good as steel against anything that goblins can throw at you.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 12:05:40 pm »

If you want the material value benefit but can't find flux go for obsidian as it tripples the value of typical stone goods.

The new version have had us spoiled with the super density of metal veins and such so I haven't bothered with flux at all for my test forts.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

rlbond86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 12:18:19 pm »

Just a note, even if flux isn't listed at embark, you can find it in veins in lower levels (usually past the first cavern). But you really have to search (or use dfreveal).

Cephas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 12:32:29 pm »

Just a note, even if flux isn't listed at embark, you can find it in veins in lower levels (usually past the first cavern). But you really have to search (or use dfreveal).
I disagree. If there isn't any flux present, then there's no way to find it in veins. The only chance you have is the possibility of a neighboring biome that you intersected very slightly possessing a flux layer somewhere.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 12:54:23 pm »

Most flux stones are layer stones.  The only flux stones that aren't layer stones are only found in layers of flux stones.  Therefore, if there's no flux layers, there's no flux.

Note that your embark site might include more than one biome, and different biomes have different stone layers.  So you might not see flux layers when you embark yet still have flux if you didn't check all the biomes on your embark site.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 01:02:29 pm »

I modded some fancy minerals to have 2x value, like olivine, serpentine, saltpeter, alabaster, alunite, satinspar.
The rarer stuff which is only in clusters.
Would you rather have a granite statue or an alabaster statue?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 01:02:44 pm »

Note that iron is actually viable for weapons and armor again in 31.10, so you CAN get away without making steel if you need to. You'll need a well trained and fully armored military if you want to avoid a lot of casualties, though. Also, now that marksdwarves should be viable again archery towers can help a good bit.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: [1] 2 3