Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Noob questions, oh god!  (Read 1421 times)

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
Re: Noob questions, oh god!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 04:27:24 am »

As for what to produce from workshops... well what do you want to achieve? Seriously, DF has no definitive objective to aim for right now, each fort is built with whatever goal the player wants. Do you want to build a factory of toys or be the empire's secret weapon cache? Do you want to be the wonder of the world with glass architecture? What does your creativity desire?

Well, by that I meant, what should I start churning out that would help the fortress stabilize so it doesn't run short on things or dwarves start dying, early on!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob questions, oh god!
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 05:27:12 am »

Carpenters: bins, barrels, high quality beds for happiness-enducing bedrooms.

Masons: high quality tables and chairs for legendary ecstasy dining halls. Also, high quality doors and statues.

Brewers: a good variety of booze. Variety is essential else dwarves get sick of the same old drink no matter how good it is. This is why surface farming is recommended as it more than doubles your choices.

Farmers: only select high-skilled farmers (train them by making only farmers harvest if they're not high skilled) should plant things to maximise yield from seeds.

That's the necessities in an INVASIONS:OFF and ARTIFACTS:OFF fort. Food, booze, beds and happiness. Everything else (including trade, hospitals and such) are optional extras - very useful extras, but by no means absolutely essential.

With ARTIFACTS:ON, you want to keep a stock of shells (fish for some turtles or mussels), bones, silk cloth/thread, plant fibre cloth/thread, metal bars and gems (cut and uncut). A mood dwarf can ask for anything and failure to procure it within a few months means death.

With INVASIONS:ON... actually I don't recommend you turn it on until you've mastered the above.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 [2]