Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hacked in shells.  (Read 1368 times)

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hacked in shells.
« on: July 12, 2010, 05:04:09 am »

I added shells to dogs and cows using the method on the wiki. Used to work fine in .08, but in .10 it seems to cause a crash when the moody dwarf gets the shell to his claimed workshop. I did do the editing on my save files, not initially before world building. Still, pretty sure that used to work (obviously I saved and quit the game first). Any ideas about this, or other tricks to get easier shells? I noticed that the default embark profile has 16 cave lobsters, but I removed them thinking I would just hack in some shells when I need them. Why are moody dwarves still so obsessed with shells anyway?!

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Hacked in shells.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 06:07:41 am »

I always try to imagen how cows and dogs look like with shells... Anway why don't you just keep a nice supply of them by importing every shelled creature you see (It usually can support my moody dwarfs...)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 06:26:28 am »

I've taken to playing the Genesis mod, as not only does it give you a whole load more cool stuff to play with, but you can also have cave tortoise pets.  Start farming them, and you have an endless supply of shells (... unless you transfer a save to 31.09 and a murderous trade caravan comes in and hacks its way through your entire breeding population...)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 06:47:14 am »

importing

Looks like someone hasn't played .31 yet. In the current version, shells get removed from a creature as it gets cleaned at the fishery, and imported turtles/lobsters/fish/etc. are already cleaned. There's no way of importing shells or bones themselves either.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 08:51:31 am »

make a well and designate it as a fishing spot, your fishermen will fish turtles out of the well, i had nearly 200+ shells
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Richard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 09:34:35 am »

make a well and designate it as a fishing spot, your fishermen will fish turtles out of the well, i had nearly 200+ shells

sounds good, I will have to try that.

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 09:40:01 am »

This depends upon how deep the well is.  I've yet to see fish come out of wells in my fort that are anywhere below the water source - I'm presuming it needs flow to carry the fish, and my deep wells never have flow.

Turtles aside, since the temperature bug was fixed I've yet to play a fort that didn't have access to mussels, which also supply shells.  Now if you have no water, I could see that as an issue.

To the OP: I'm familiar with the method you're using, but I only got it to work cleanly once.  It would either crash the workshop contents menu, or crash on butcher, or occasionally when the moody dwarf starting building the artifact.  Have you tried adding the SHELL tag to non-shell items such as hair in (what raw is that in? material_templates_defaults?) the raws?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 11:16:57 am »

I changed the raw for hooves to be [SHELL] instead of [HORN].  Now I can just slaughter any hoofed mammal if I need "shells".
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 11:28:53 am »

importing

Looks like someone hasn't played .31 yet. In the current version, shells get removed from a creature as it gets cleaned at the fishery, and imported turtles/lobsters/fish/etc. are already cleaned. There's no way of importing shells or bones themselves either.

you might want to tell my dwarf they my last fort in 08 was having trouble getting rid of all the shells(OK if I wanted to get rid of them it would be easy but there were a lot of them.)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 11:44:44 am »

importing

you might want to tell my dwarf they my last fort in 08 was having trouble getting rid of all the shells(OK if I wanted to get rid of them it would be easy but there were a lot of them.)

Then your dwarves were fishing.  In DF2010, turtle shells only come when you process a raw turtle, mussel, or other shell-bearing creature at a fishery.  Turtles you buy at embark or from traders are already processed.

I solved the no shells for moods problem by adding the [SHELL] tag to the material definitions of horns and hooves.  Thinking of adding it to feathers as well so I can use the pile of forgotten beast feather in my refuse pile for decoration.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 12:07:59 pm »

No even when my fort had only 15 dwarfs and I knew what jobs where enabled on them none had fishing might be some kind of bug?

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 12:39:06 pm »

Open the material templates raw and find the entry for Horns (which hooves are made out of) and add the [SHELL] tag to that entry. Dwarves will consider all existing hooves as an acceptable substitute for Shells, as Slink pointed out. Since there's no legit way to get any shells at all depending on your biome (except Forgotten Beast shells, which aren't common enough to feed 20+ fey moods) I don't see any problem with this. Makes the game playable long-term :)
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.