Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 70

Author Topic: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 64: Plenty of Power, Lack of Control]  (Read 90968 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 4: Let There Be Light]
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2010, 02:53:55 am »

Turn 5: Assault Of The Wall

Quote from: wolfchild
I attempt to summon something huge and sluggish ABOVE the demons
[5+1][Luck 3] You manage to summon what looks like some sort of bison, but you're unable to summon it in mid-air. Instead, it managed to pull itself over the wall. [1] vs [2] A hoof hit you in the jaw as it falls, and the demons below lumber out of the way. It discorporates upon hitting the ground, swirling back into mist.
+3 Summoning

Quote from: Tarran
Apply my sword to the demons heads. DECAPITATE THEM!
[1+2] vs [3-1]. You manage to put your sword through the injured demon's forehead, but it keeps going, trying to grab you. [2] vs [4+2]. You nearly fall off sawing the blade through the rest of it, and it drops to the ground below.
+2 Swordsman

Quote from: HmH
I blast demons with lightnings.
[4+1][Luck 2] You summon a perfect arc of lightning, but somehow manage to miss with it, and it cracks into the ground behind the demons.
+2 Destruction

Quote from: Frelock
See if I can make a demon look like a human, in the hopes that it's friends will attack it.
[4][Luck 4] While true illusions are beyond you, you do manage to surround one demon in the shimmering likeness of a human, and the demons near it are distracted a moment trying to touch it.
+3 Light Magic

Quote from: Paranatural
Create a golem made of stone to push the demons down the wall and cliff, to their deaths.
[6+1][Luck 1] You animate a substantial portion of the wall to destroy the demons, and the commander shouts in surprise. The writhing mass of stone promptly lashes out at everything on it, including you, the commander, and your allies, before collapsing into rubble. The demons are now able to clamber over it much easier.
Wall [4] vs Seymore [1]
Wall [2] vs Tarran [1]
Wall [3] vs HmH [2]
Wall [4] vs Frelock [3]
Wall [4] vs Sargoth [3]
Wall [1] vs Max [1]
Wall [1] vs Ochita [4]
Wall [4] vs Commander [4]
Seymore is pounded to the ground harshly, while Max and the commander roll to the ground relatively unscathed and Ochita rides the wall's movement onto the inanimate and intact portion with the archers. Everyone else is thrown to the ground and lightly injured.
+3 Earth Magic

Quote from: maxicaxi
I use a custom control undead spell to take control of one of the demons
[5+1][Luck 5] You attempt to control a demon, and find that while it is not undead, you manage to get creative by taking advantage of some unusual property of the creature's bones. You manage to force-march your demon around not by truly controlling it, but by forcibly manipulating its bones like a puppetmaster.
+4 Necromancy
New Spell: Puppet Demon

Quote from: Ochita
Pick up a lage rock, inscribe that ice rune on it and get HmH to shatter onto the demons
Runecrafting [1+1][Luck 4], Water Magic [3][Luck 2]. You grab a nearby large stone, formerly part of the wall, and begin inscribing a rune on it. You mess up, but it doesn't go badly, it just doesn't work.

Quote from: Commander
God damn it
Searing loudly, the commander stand up, draws a two-handed broadsword from his back, and gets ready for battle.

Quote from: Archers
Oh shit
The archers fire on the demons. [3+1] vs [1] They take several more down, but there's plenty left.

Quote from: Reserve Archers
Full power!
Having a clear shot as they clamber over the wall, the reserve archers act to their full capacity. [5+1] vs [6] Two or three go down, but the rest rush the fortress in a berserk rage.

Quote from: Pikemen
Emergency!
The handful of infantry standing around the walls grab their pikes and rush towards the breach with the commander.

Quote from: Demons
KILL!
The demons rush over the new breach like water overflowing a dam, climbing on top of each other and lifting each other up to get into the fort. One rushes each grounded mage immediately, while others rush the commander and pikemen or are still catching up.
Demon [5] vs Max [6]
Demon [6] vs Seymore [3+1]
Demon [1] vs Nathan [3]
Demon [6] vs Sargoth [5]
Demon [6] vs Fre [2]
Demon [1] vs Tarran [4+2]
Max rolls himself away from a demon's charge, while Seymore gets up only to be headbutted back and to the ground again. Nathan easily escapes, while Sargoth is lightly battered. Fre has the wind knocked out of him by a demon's powerful charge, and Tarran promptly opens his assailant from head to toe.

Demons [5] vs Pikemen [5]. The demons and pikemen clash, but no side has the advantage yet.

Demons [5] vs Commander [5] Three demons press the commander, but the fight similarly looks even.

Now that you can see clearly, it looks like there's about 20 demons left. The archers seem pretty skilled, but they might not be so adept at firing into melee.

Spoiler: Max Smith (maxicaxi) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nathan (HmH) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sargoth (Paranatural) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ochita/Bel (Ochita) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fre Ericson (Frelock) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tarran (Tarran) (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 5: Assault Of The Wall]
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2010, 03:14:10 am »

I grab a demon and shatter him. If Ochita wishes, he may inscribe ice rune on the demon.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2010, 03:14:26 am »

control another demon while making my puppet fight the demons around it

I am the puppet master!!!!
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2010, 03:29:19 am »

Rush to Seymore and assume a defensive position.

Not going to let wolfchild die this early in the game.

Also, Irony: You are missing the slash in your end acronym tag on my (worthless) sunstone. It should be "[/acronym]". Not "[acronym]".
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:18:44 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2010, 04:03:33 am »

Try to cast Cure Moderate Wounds on myself
All generalizations are false....including this one.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2010, 05:06:18 am »

Try to summon a divine being of some discription, which will then heal me
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2010, 08:34:52 am »

...oops.

If there are a number of demons who are not in melee with the defenders yet, I cast Earth Wave to knock them down.

If there are not and fulle melee is joined, then I cast Earth Slam against the one who is attacking me.

P.S. Did my armor help reduce the damage I took?
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2010, 10:13:28 am »

Jump down and start slashing demons
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2010, 03:14:05 am »

Turn 6: Swordplay & Status Ailments

Quote from: HmH
I grab a demon and shatter him. If Ochita wishes, he may inscribe ice rune on the demon.
[4+1][Luck 1]. You grab the demon that had swiped at you and attempt to shatter it. Shrapnel Shatter doesn't really work on living things, but that doesn't stop the demon from glowing bright red and exploding as you channel power into it. You are, of course, about as close to it as you can get, and feel the full brunt of the rather impressive explosion.
+3 Destruction
New Spell: Detonate

Quote from: maxicaxi
control another demon while making my puppet fight the demons around it
[4][Luck 2] Struggling to seize a second demon without letting go of the first, you manage to enslave another demon's bones, but lose your grip on the first one. [1] vs [5]. Not only does your puppeteering fail to strike another demon, the intended victim simply throws his wayward comrade to the ground and comes for you.
+2 Necromancy

Demon [2] vs [3]. You sidestep the demon's attacks.

Quote from: Tarran
Rush to Seymore and assume a defensive position.
[1] In your rush to get to Seymore, you don't notice another demon as it blindsides you, knocking you to the ground and then rushing in for the kill. Demon [1] vs [6+3]. You jump to your feet and slash it entirely in half.
+2 Swordsman

Quote from: Frelock
Try to cast Cure Moderate Wounds on myself
[6][Luck 3] Not satisfied with your current abilities, you attempt to channel a larger portion of power into yourself. You glow briefly, but the magic is clumsy, and you feel more drained than healed.
+3 Restoration
New Spell: Cure Moderate Wounds
Weakened

Demon [1] vs [6-1]. You hammer a demon upside the head with your staff as it tries to prey on you. It stumbles over, but it's clearly getting up soon.

Quote from: wolfchild
Try to summon a divine being of some discription, which will then heal me
[4+1][Luck 2]. You expertly summon a glowing angel of light, but it simply stares into space. Its glowing expression is unreadable, and you have no idea what it's doing just hovering there.
+3 Summoning
New Spell: Summon Angel of Mercy

Quote from: Paranatural
If there are a number of demons who are not in melee with the defenders yet, I cast Earth Wave to knock them down.
[2+1][Luck 5] You create a not very impressive and rather small earth wave in the middle of the onrushing demons, but it manages to lift a demon up and back enough to disrupt those behind it as they plow into those in front of them.
+3 Earth magic

Demon [6] vs [3]. The same demon continues its assault, just as furious as last time. Your reaction is a bit less impressive, and its claws impale right through your armor as the force knocks you back.

Quote from: Ochita
Jump down and start slashing demons
[4] You successfully dismount the wall, conveniently after most of the demons had already rushed past it. You find a straggler easily enough, however. [5] vs [3]. The freezing effect gives it enough edge to take off your target's head.
+2 Swordsman

Two more stragglers rush at you. [6] vs [1], [2] vs [4]. The first one hammers you in the gut with its claws, and your vision goes hazy for a moment as you stumble back, gasping. It's an impressive wake-up call, and you avoid the second one's assault.

There were apparently a bit more than 20, as you now count 19 demons left.

Quote from: Wall Archers
Fire!
[1] Seeing their chance, the archers still on the wall promptly blow it, firing arrows uselessly at the general direction of the demons in the courtyard.

Quote from: Reserve Archers
Fire!
[4-1] With the pikemen in their way, the archers on the ground nonetheless try to fire at the backup created by the earth wave. They pick off around 4.

Quote from: Commander
Strike!
[5+3] vs [6], [1+2] vs [6], [3+1] vs [3]. Perhaps biting off more than he can chew, the commander engages three demons at once. He deals a heavy blow to the first's torso, but the second throws him off balance and he gets a weak blow to the third's jaw. [5] vs [4], [5] vs [5], [2] vs [1]. The first demon counterattacks, catching the commander lightly in the shoulder, while the second trades impressive parries, and the third slams him in the thigh.

Quote from: Pikemen
Strike!
[6] vs [4]. The pikemen slay all 5 demons that made it through, including all but one of those attacking the commander.

Ten demons remain. Five are engaged with various magi, one presses the commander, and three were delayed by the earth wave and now rush to find targets. The last is under Max's questionable control.

Spoiler: Max Smith (maxicaxi) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nathan (HmH) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sargoth (Paranatural) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ochita/Bel (Ochita) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fre Ericson (Frelock) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tarran (Tarran) (click to show/hide)

Also, Irony: You are missing the slash in your end acronym tag on my (worthless) sunstone. It should be "[/acronym]". Not "[acronym]".

Thanks. There's a lot of text to work with, so small errors like that tend to creep in.

P.S. Did my armor help reduce the damage I took?

Not last time; there wasn't enough of it. It did this turn, however.

On a related note, I'm still considering how armor should work, so it might change in the future. I'll let you know, of course.

Melee Update
Melee combat will now interact with skills a little differently. For one thing, shields will apply like a weapon skill bonus, meaning they'll be depleted with successive attacks.

More importantly, you may make multiple attacks in a round, but each attack (and damaging counter) reduces your bonus like being attacked does. This means a skilled fighter can spread themselves out over multiple adversaries, but their defense will suffer as a result. It also means simply attacking at all reduces your defense, relative to just standing there. As always, your attack or defense can't go below +0 simply from attacking or being attacked, except in unusual circumstances. However, you cannot attack at +0 more than once, since you don't have the skill to sacrifice for it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:26:01 am by IronyOwl »
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 6: Swordplay & Status Ailments]
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2010, 03:19:15 am »

i didnt get skill or a new spell for that?, ask the angel to help in some way, mention to it the demons we are fighting

Shout MEDIC!!

try to summon an elemental of positive energy
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2010, 03:22:29 am »

So... I'm killing demons with my own failures?

AWESOME!

Anyway: BRUTALLY attack any remaining demons in such ferocity that they have likely never seen before.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2010, 03:25:37 am »

fire all 8 shots from my repeating crossbow at the demon
 why dident my demon do anything?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:35:35 am by maxicaxi »
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2010, 03:27:01 am »

i didnt get skill or a new spell for that?, ask the angel to help in some way, mention to it the demons we are fighting

You got the experience, but you're right that I forgot to give you a spell.

Also goddamn, lightning responses.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2010, 03:34:16 am »

:D

Yeah, we have nothing better to do.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2010, 03:35:58 am »

:D

Yeah, we have nothing better to do.
indeed
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 70