Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 70

Author Topic: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 64: Plenty of Power, Lack of Control]  (Read 90959 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 6: Swordplay & Status Ailments]
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2010, 04:13:08 am »

I grab a huge stone and Shatter it onto the biggest group of demons.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:49:30 am by HmH »

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2010, 08:35:42 am »

Earth Slam the demon attacking me
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2010, 09:41:59 am »

Parry both of the demons attacks and try to ripose
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2010, 01:23:47 pm »

Shucks, that didn't help my wounds at all, did it?  What are the advantages of having a learned spell?

Hearing the call for a medic, I run over and heal wolfchild, hopefully escaping from the demon in the process

Also I'm gonna be gone over the weekend.  So in the likely scenario that you get two turns up before Monday, don't wait up for me.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2010, 11:55:44 pm »

Turn 7: Shotgun Precision

Quote from: wolfchild
Shout MEDIC!!

try to summon an elemental of positive energy
[1+1][Luck 6]. You fail to summon anything, but manage to cry out in frustration for your angel to help. [Luck 3]. It seems to notice you and slowly turns its gaze to your direction, but it's not doing anything.

Quote from: Tarran
Anyway: BRUTALLY attack any remaining demons in such ferocity that they have likely never seen before.
You rush the three in the middle. [3+2] vs [4], [4+1] vs [5], [1] vs [5]. You clip the first, trade skillful parries with the second, and are knocked face first into the dirt by the third. The wind is knocked out of you, and you're injured.
+1 Swordsman

Quote from: maxicaxi
fire all 8 shots from my repeating crossbow at the demon
[1] vs [2]. Something cracks as the rotted section gives way. The demon avoids the few bolts you manage to launch with a damaged crossbow. The demon under your control attempts to break free. [5+1] vs [2]. It remains firmly enslaved, if only physically.

The other demon attacks you. [1] vs [6] You hold your leg out and it trips.

Quote from: HmH
I grab a huge stone and Shatter it onto the biggest group of demons.
Stone [5]. You find a perfect stone for your purposes from the wall's rubble. [6+1][Luck 5] There's a slight sonic boom as the rock disintegrates, creating a series of explosions on the wall just below where the concerned archers are standing. The demons between these two features have their upper bodies all but disintegrated, while Tarran remains unharmed in the dirt.
+4 Destruction

Quote from: Paranatural
Earth Slam the demon attacking me
[6+1][Luck 3] The resulting "pillar" is actually several stalagmite-looking formations, which burst from the ground with excessive force and then begin to fall on you. [4] You succeed in rolling out of the way, though it's a bit close. The demon is injured and on the other side of the rubble, but still alive and trying to find out a way to kill you.
+3 Earth Magic

The demon tries to clamber over the rubble, but can't reach you yet.

Quote from: Ochita
Parry both of the demons attacks and try to ripose
[4] vs [3] You succeed in slicing one of the demons, frost reaching across the wound. It staggers but continues trying to butcher you.
+1 Swordsman

[5] vs [6], [3] vs [4]. You throw yourself out of the way of the first ruthless assault, then roll away and to your feet as the second slams a fist into the dirt.

Quote from: Frelock
Hearing the call for a medic, I run over and heal wolfchild, hopefully escaping from the demon in the process
[6-1] You expertly sprint to Seymore, leaving the demon behind. [4][Luck 4] You manage to heal Seymore adequately.
+3 Restoration
No longer Weakened.

Quote from: Wall Archers
Get that one!
Seeing the demon Frelock left behind, the wall archers take shots at it. [5] vs [1] It's pincushioned.

Quote from: Commander
End this
[2+3] vs [2]. The commander hacks the demon confronting him down.

Quote from: Pikemen and Reserve Archers
Wait for orders
The remaining soldiers wait for something to do.

Two demons, one of them fairly injured, battle Ochita, while an injured demon tries to get to Sargoth. A healthy demon swipes at Max, while a final one strains against the bonds holding it.

Spoiler: Max Smith (maxicaxi) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nathan (HmH) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sargoth (Paranatural) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ochita/Bel (Ochita) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fre Ericson (Frelock) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tarran (Tarran) (click to show/hide)

why dident my demon do anything?
It tried, but the demon it attacked rolled higher, so it missed horribly. Bear in mind that the spell doesn't allow a very high degree of control; you're basically using magic to force its limbs to move how you want, so it's basically a giant puppet that's trying to not do what you want. This also means you need to use an action to get it to do things, and you can only hold control so long.

Shucks, that didn't help my wounds at all, did it?  What are the advantages of having a learned spell?
It did, just not enough to upgrade you from moderately to lightly wounded. Same thing with wolfchild this turn, incidentally.

At the moment, actually knowing a spell doesn't do anything, besides letting you know what you can do. I should probably apply some sort of advantage/penalty regarding spells you know and spells you don't, but I couldn't think of a good way to do that. Trying to create new spells will probably go worse on a bad roll, however.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:39:04 am by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 7: Shotgun Precision]
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2010, 12:04:10 am »

Awww... I didn't get to be the big damn hero.

Get up, spit on a demon corpse, and look for some healing. If I can't find any, try to heal myself (I REALLY hope I don't get a 1).

EDIT: WOLFCHILD IS STILL MODERATELY WOUNDED DESPITE BEING HEALED.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:06:03 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2010, 12:13:40 am »

For known spells I'd suggest an AutoSuccess, AKA a 4. You could also probably make it so that you have to cast it at least twice to 'learn' it, from now on.

Earth Slam the demon attacking me again, then get up.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2010, 12:21:55 am »

I cast Lightning Blast on the last demon.

UPD: Autosuccess is 5, and it contradicts current +x to roll system. +x to luck is more fitting for known spells - a magi doesn't have to concentrate on spellcasting anymore, he can aim and calibrate the spell instead.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:06:28 am by HmH »

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2010, 12:38:03 am »

fix my crossbow up then I make my demon puppet attack the opposing demon

i think you should add a dodge skill
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:50:12 am by maxicaxi »
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2010, 01:09:45 am »

Hey, it's still Friday here, meaning I can get in for at least one more action.

Cure Moderate Wounds on Ochita

Do you have some sort of hidden HP system behind the "----ly wounded" system?  Because otherwise you're eventually going to forget just how wounded a person is, especially if heals don't automatically bump a person up a woundedness level (which is just a HP system with 5 points [light, moderate, severe, critical, mortal]).
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2010, 02:27:17 am »

Try to affect the water in the demons bodies by ripping it out!
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2010, 04:33:44 am »

Do you have some sort of hidden HP system behind the "----ly wounded" system?  Because otherwise you're eventually going to forget just how wounded a person is, especially if heals don't automatically bump a person up a woundedness level (which is just a HP system with 5 points [light, moderate, severe, critical, mortal]).

I do. It currently only has four descriptions, but I was thinking of adding sort of incapacitated but not dead region where we currently just have death.

For known spells I'd suggest an AutoSuccess, AKA a 4. You could also probably make it so that you have to cast it at least twice to 'learn' it, from now on.
UPD: Autosuccess is 5, and it contradicts current +x to roll system. +x to luck is more fitting for known spells - a magi doesn't have to concentrate on spellcasting anymore, he can aim and calibrate the spell instead.

There's no chance in hell you're getting the ability to perfectly cast from successfully normally casting twice. If you want to do things without the risk of blowing yourself up every single time, grab a pointy stick.

i think you should add a dodge skill
I wanted to give Ochita dodging skill for last turn, but the rule is you don't get experience for something you didn't use an action to perform (though Tarran got it for trying to attack, missing, and then spectacularly countering). Dodging skill would work similarly to weapon skill, but purely defensive.

EDIT: For minor wounds, Medic is a valid non-magical skill. Tarran, did you want to try magical or mundane healing?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:43:24 am by IronyOwl »
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2010, 04:57:52 am »

There's no chance in hell you're getting the ability to perfectly cast from successfully normally casting twice. If you want to do things without the risk of blowing yourself up every single time, grab a pointy stick.
That's why I'm against autosuccess in this system. What I'm talking about is that spell practice should affect the luck roll instead of cast roll.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2010, 05:01:31 am »

EDIT: For minor wounds, Medic is a valid non-magical skill. Tarran, did you want to try magical or mundane healing?
Obviously the mundane non-magical way. I would likely kill myself trying to cast a healing spell.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2010, 06:09:48 am »

Turn 8: It's Like Healing, Maaaaaaan

Quote from: Tarran
Get up, spit on a demon corpse, and look for some healing. If I can't find any, try to heal myself (I REALLY hope I don't get a 1).
[6][Luck 3] You bandage yourself up nice and tightly. A little too tightly, and you sort of shredded your tunic for the cloth. Eh, at least you're healed up.
+2 Medic

Quote from: Paranatural
Earth Slam the demon attacking me again, then get up.
[3+1][Luck 6] The pillar slams up right where the demon was trying to climb, blasting its corpse right at you. [3] You mostly dodge, getting hit with a piece of debris or two.
+2 Earth Magic

Quote from: HmH
I cast Lightning Blast on the last demon.
[4+1][Luck 6] With multiple targets, you decide on the healthy one attacking Ochita, and promptly blast it into its friend. And Ochita. Well, at least now they're all one big happy smoking pile.
+4 Destruction

Quote from: maxicaxi
fix my crossbow up then I make my demon puppet attack the opposing demon
[2] vs [4]. With no time to fix your crossbow, you try to use your puppet. You're too clumsy with it to get a good hit in. Break Free: [2] vs [1]. The enslaved demon throws off your foul magic and returns to trying to eat you.

Demons: [1] vs [4], [2] vs [3]. You dance away from the enraged flailings of your former puppet and his friend.

Quote from: Frelock
Cure Moderate Wounds on Ochita
[5+1][Luck 6] With a burst of light, Ochita looks almost completely healed... and completely out of it. You don't know what your magic just did to him, but he doesn't look very combat-ready anymore.
+4 Restoration

Quote from: Ochita
Try to affect the water in the demons bodies by ripping it out!
[1][Luck 5] Everything feels so happy and nice... you stumble over to hug the nice thingy-man, and he helps pull you away from the murderous demons. That's nice...
Out Of It

The wounded demon heaves the smoking carcass of its ally aside and rushes Fre. [2] vs [6]. Fre flattens it with his staff.

Three demons remain; one is wounded and on the ground near Ochita and Fre, while two attack Max. The soldiers are holding their ground for now.

Spoiler: Max Smith (maxicaxi) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nathan (HmH) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sargoth (Paranatural) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ochita/Bel (Ochita) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fre Ericson (Frelock) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tarran (Tarran) (click to show/hide)

Since wolfchild would probably just want to summon something anyway, I'll just let him take two turns' worth of actions next turn, with the first being retconned into happening this turn if possible.

That's why I'm against autosuccess in this system. What I'm talking about is that spell practice should affect the luck roll instead of cast roll.
Oh, I misread that. I still think it's better for a skilled mage to summon far more power than is wise but sometimes miss with it than to sometimes completely bungle spells but never miss with the ones they get right.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 70