Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 70

Author Topic: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 64: Plenty of Power, Lack of Control]  (Read 91162 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 33: Earth Maw]
« Reply #420 on: September 10, 2010, 08:08:38 am »

Hm. Restoration can do a little of that, but you might be better served by a Spirit Element. It sounds like it'd end up reasonably versatile in a limited sort of way (in that it has a lot of effects but there's fair gaps between them), and likely tending more towards utility over power.

You can also just choose something else, of course.

I'll change it to elemental. I actually *like* utilty-the chance to say, for example, free the party from hostile mind control, or giving a boost allowing them to cast better...and doing the reverse to our enemies. Pretty useful, in certain situations. I can also imagine a Warcraft style mass bloodlust spell...heh.

I tend to pick characters that don't do alot of up front damage-between the poison and control effects, I feel like I can be sufficently sneaky enough to influence the battle without being picked out as a smushy Kobold.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 10, 2010, 10:21:57 am »

Water can be good for healing mages who get hurt using fire and It has some uses.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 10, 2010, 10:49:44 am »

I don't know about that, but my char is gonna work on water magic anyway. Cant cast real poison bolts without water magic!

Also, what about Luck roll modifiers? This roll plays heavy role in the game and still can't be influenced by player's skills and inventory.

Hopefully I can do something about that. Luck is a very incorporeal thing to grasp, which could possibly fall into the realm of spiritual magic. Then again, it might be too powerful of a stat to ever change barring master spells and artifacts. Wait for the word of God. ;)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 10, 2010, 11:04:51 am »

Well I can make ice armor to surround me and maybe I could make Ice puppets, I can make weapons from water or ice. I can possibly cast hail and maybe have posioned water. I Can make ice disks to help transport goods and other stuff.
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 10, 2010, 03:05:48 pm »

Then again, it might be too powerful of a stat to ever change barring master spells and artifacts. Wait for the word of God. ;)
Word of God is this. I want to maintain elements of randomness even for a well-prepared master, and without an unmodifiable chance roll that's just not going to happen.

On a related note, I haven't heard back from Diakron or iceball3, so it's looking like Dwareet'ik is in the front of the line.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 10, 2010, 09:09:20 pm »

Turn 34: Gilligan's Rule

Quote from: Tarran
Pull my sword out of the demon if it's still in it/it's body. Then run to Frelock, grab him and run a decent distance from the plant monster.
[1] You attempt to dash to Fre, only to trip in Nathan's hole. Nice going, wizard.

Quote from: wolfchild
Sick of the wind elemental fighting back, i conjure a stream of fire and fling it at the combo elemental, hoping to strengthen my loyal fire elemental
[5-1][Luck 5] You fling a stream of fire at the elemental, empowering the fire aspect. In addition to being stronger overall, it should have an easier time overpowering its wind rival.
+5 Fire
New Spell: Fire Empower
Fire elemental empowered.

Quote from: HmH
I run to Sargoth and help him get out.
[4] You successfully dash to Sargoth. [1][Luck 1] You land on him, putting yourself in the same bad position and probably hampering his escape.
+3 Gilligan

Quote from: Frelock
Cure Critical Wounds on self.
[3][Luck 4] You channel a fairly large amount of healing magic into yourself. It's not as intense as it should have been, but it'll do.
+3 Restoration
New Spell: Cure Serious Wounds
Heal heavy damage, now Lightly Wounded.

Quote from: Ochita
I cover myself in a thick armor of ice. Magic it so then I can still move
[1-1][Luck 2] You encase yourself in a tomb of frigid ice. You're no longer bleeding, but you can't move and are freezing and suffocating to death.
+4 Water
Entombed in ice.

Quote from: Flagrarus
GLORY TO THE PLANT
Noted.

Quote from: Paranatural
Use my magic to have the earth maw open up, and accept HmH's help.
[4-1][Luck 2] You manage to get the earth maw to open a bit more, but it continues to grind.
+1 Earth

Utilize the rainstorm to call down a giant Pillar of Lightning on the plant monster.
[2-2][Luck 5] You call down the wrath of the heavens with some truly indiscriminate justice, pounding yourself with a pillar of lightning the size of a small room. Grounding [1][Luck 5] You somehow manage to channel it deeper within yourself, causing you to glow like... well, like lightning. The inevitable discharge will likely be very bad for both you and whatever it targets.
+6 Lightning
Living Battery

The combo elemental once again wrestles for control of itself. [3+2] vs [5+2] The newly empowered fire elemental soundly beats down its wind twin and attempts to scorch the plant. [2][Luck 1] It sputters uselessly, drawing attention to itself.

The wyvern and angel dive at each other again. [2] vs [4+2], [3+2] vs [1]. The angel nicks the corner of the wyvern's mouth before drawing a long gash in its side. The wyvern bellows in rage.
Wyvern takes heavy damage. Now Heavily Wounded.

The plant roars and surveys possible targets. Fre is an easy choice. [5+1] vs [6] More staff-parrying.

Sick of this immortal staff monk bullshit, it attacks Seymore. [6+1] vs [4+1] Seymore takes light damage from the plant's thrashing, but avoids the worst of it.
Seymore takes light damage, now lightly injured.

Common Sense [1] It next attacks the shiny. [3+1] vs [3+2] While it fails to deal direct damage, Thorontur is forced to use his halberd to deflect the attack, which means that all hell breaks loose.
Thorontur: [5][3][4] vs [5][6][1]
Plant: [4][4][4] vs [1][3][2]

Thorontur cackles with glee as he carves the plant with lightning, rather than just his halberd. He's still glowing somewhat and smoking a lot more than he used to, however.
Thorontur takes heavy damage, now Heavily Wounded.
Plant monster takes hideous damage, now critically wounded.
Living Battery effect greatly lessened.

Desperate, the plant calls upon its slave. [5-1][Luck 1] His meaty life-force disrupts the massive plant heal, but he at least bleeds a bit of power into the plant.
Flagro takes damage, now Moderately Wounded. Plant healed a bit.

The earth maw continues to churn.
Sargoth: [1] vs [4]
Nathan: [1] vs [2]

Both inhabitants somehow avoid being ground into paste.

Spoiler: Nathan (HmH) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sargoth (Paranatural) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ochita/Bel (Ochita) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fre Ericson (Frelock) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tarran (Tarran) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Flagro (Flagrarus) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Max Smith (maxicaxi) (click to show/hide)

Really want to give Frelock staff skill or something for those rolls, but the rules are you can't get experience for something you don't use an action on.

As far as enemy magic is concerned, it varies. I don't want to bog down the system with resist rolls everywhere, but I dislike autodamage, even if it's damage someone had to run the luck gauntlet for. I'm also considering just letting magic skill act as armor against appropriate (or maybe magic in general) schools.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 34: Gilligan's Rule]
« Reply #426 on: September 10, 2010, 09:48:34 pm »

Cast spirit ally, defensivly attack the plant with my claw gloves
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 10, 2010, 09:57:40 pm »

Cure serious wounds on Sargoth
All generalizations are false....including this one.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 10, 2010, 10:33:47 pm »

Huh. Unfortunately it seems our healer is rather busy, so I guess I'm staying heavily wounded.

Chop the plant monster up into tiny pieces. When it is dead, puree them and squeeze out the juice, then use my lightning to distill the extract into Ichor Liquor.

I might end up dying from the electrical discharge, but it will be worth it. If I manage to stay alive, well... that will just be plain awesome. A round of drinks on me!
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 10, 2010, 10:36:35 pm »

Try to grab and pull Paranatural out of his own bigass mistake before he dies.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 10, 2010, 11:14:23 pm »

@RNG: We all are, man.

Accept the help, and use my (apparently) masterful command of earth magic to have the earthen maw open and let us out.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 11, 2010, 12:09:13 am »

Help Paranatural with my knowledge of enchantments.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 11, 2010, 12:34:21 am »

Gently remove the ice from me and drive it as spikes into that plant.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 11, 2010, 02:17:05 am »

Huh. Unfortunately it seems our healer is rather busy, so I guess I'm staying heavily wounded.

Yea, sorry.  A critically wounded earth mage who is also trying to prevent damage to a critically wounded destruction mage gets triage precedence over you, even if they did get themselves into this situation.  One of these days I'll try mass cure critical wounds, but I'm sure to get a 6 luck 1 as soon as it happens.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Flagrarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 11, 2010, 03:45:56 am »

Kill everyone with plant magic!

GLORY TO THE PLANT!
I've had my name said wrong at least 10 times so far in my whole forum life.
Oh, HORROR! This is clearly a travesty of untold proportions! The typo gods truly have brought their wrath down upon this poor man!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 70