Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 70

Author Topic: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 64: Plenty of Power, Lack of Control]  (Read 91038 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 15: Demon Eyes For All]
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2010, 01:52:14 am »

How is damage calculated, IronyOwl? Is it just difference in rolls or something hidden? What does the Dissipating enchantment do in terms of increasing damage?

I follow the group.
If anybody wants an enchantment of any sort, I do it.
Else I try to create a shield spell that dissolves kinetic energy of enemy's strike instead of opposing it, like traditional shield spells do.
This energy detail is somewhat important in terms of combat tactics.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:55:24 am by HmH »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 15: Demon Eyes For All]
« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2010, 04:57:27 am »

Turn 16: You're Supposed To Do That To Enemies

Quote from: Tarran
Go north until I find something interesting and/or I find RNG.
[4][Luck 3] You head north, making good progress and finding... a lone demon wandering about. Hrm.
+2 Ranger

Quote from: wolfchild
Summon an angel of mercy for after battle heals (i hope)
[4][Luck 4] You successfully summon an angel of mercy, realizing that it takes Restoration knowledge to do properly. Command [6-1][Luck 5] It perfectly heals everyone, then gives them a slight blessing for good measure.
+3 Summoning
Everyone blessed, slightly reducing damage taken from first attack that happens within the next few turns.

Quote from: Paranatural
Follow the rest north, while trying trying to discover how the demon's eyes react with other substances, performing alchemical experiments.
[3][Luck 6], Necromancy [3-1][Luck 2] You manage to create a useless black mess by expending one of your demon eyes. You suspect more specialized elemental magics might be able to affect it, but drawing the eyes' potential out would probably be simplest with necromancy.
+2 Alchemy
-1 Demon Eye

Quote from: Ochita
While I go with the group I shall carve out a rune of power.
[1+1][Luck 1], Water [4+1][Luck 2] You try carving a rune on your staff to empower water magics, but end up mangling it. The water magic takes well, resulting in an unsightly, unstable staff head that will probably react erratically and harmfully to water magic being cast near it.
+2 Water Magic
Oak Staff carved into Shoddy Oak Staff of Erratic Water

Quote from: RandomNumberGenerator
Search for a good sheltered area I can use as a base, or just patrol for anything interesting. While doing so, attempt to create a 'lightning shield' that surrounds me with electricity and zaps anyone who attacks me.
[3][Luck 2] You manage to find a jumble of boulders that looks a little secure, but it's inhabited by a pair of demons. They begin loping at you.
[1][Luck 1] Deciding now is as good a time as any to perfect a lightning shield, you blast yourself with lightning.
+1 Lightning Magic

Quote from: HmH
Else I try to create a shield spell that dissolves kinetic energy of enemy's strike instead of opposing it, like traditional shield spells do.
[4+1][Luck 1] Unable to properly create a force-destroying shield, you settle for wreathing yourself in destructive power. This goes wonderfully, and you are soon surrounded by fierce flames. You are not immune to them.
+2 Destruction
On Fire

Spoiler: Nathan (HmH) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sargoth (Paranatural) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ochita/Bel (Ochita) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fre Ericson (Frelock) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tarran (Tarran) (click to show/hide)

How is damage calculated, IronyOwl? Is it just difference in rolls or something hidden? What does the Dissipating enchantment do in terms of increasing damage?
I'd rather some things remain uncertain, or at least unconfirmed theory, but I will say that while the main factor is the difference in rolls, various other factors can apply, such as Ochita's frost enchantment. The dissipating enchantment isn't very well-done, and so has a chance to increase damage and a lower chance to damage you.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 16: You're Supposed To Do That To Enemies]
« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2010, 05:10:59 am »

Throw away my staff for the moment, and put out HmH's flames, finally use water in the ground the freeze the demon' feet.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2010, 05:11:23 am »

RNG and HmH's turns are fail.

Walk towards the demon, and preform a sneak attack Diamond Cutter.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2010, 06:17:48 am »

If Ochita succeeds at putting out the flames, I Dissipate the entire demon. Legs-first. I must have some practice before using an AoE Dissipation, just to be sure the severed parts don't blow up if I cut them too much or something.
If Ochita doesn't succeed or extinguishing flames is worth an entire action for him, I:
- if no allies are nearby, turn the flames into a fire nova;
- if somebody may be hit by a nova, turn them into a tight spurt of flames aimed at the demon.

Sorry in advance, victims of accidental spy-checking. I'm looking at you, Tarran the longsword-wielding jump attack backstabber.

UPD: Minor fix, IronyOwl. You have added a +1 to my cast roll instead of +2. Not that it changes anything.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:37:10 pm by HmH »

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2010, 06:37:28 am »

Dismiss my summons, the call forth a creature of the purest flames, then watch how it produces it's destructive might against the demons, so that i may start learning fire magic
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2010, 09:22:29 am »

"Is there no end to these wretches in their ones and twos? Who is puppeting these things? I do not think them to be actual demons but mere constructs of demons."

If the demon that Tarran just found is still alive:

Cast a spell that produces an earthen arm from the ground that holds a hammer of stone, which the arm will use to bash the demon apart.

Otherwise

I start messing again with one of the other eyeballs, exploring the realm of necromancy. The rest I put aside to play with later.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2010, 09:41:14 am »

Cast Lightning Edge and assume a defensive stance, waiting for the first demon's strike so I can counter it.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2010, 02:52:04 pm »

Tarran the longsword-wielding jump attack backstabber.
Huh? What did I do?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2010, 02:55:34 pm »

Your going to jump attack a demon. In the back.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2010, 02:57:32 pm »

Ah.

Though usually when you call someone a "backstabber" you mean someone who betrayed you in some way. That's why I was confused.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2010, 06:45:08 pm »

I'm back, sorry for not posting in this thread.  I'm probably going to be gone next weekend too, but it might turn out differently.

I saw the turn "Sorry in Advance, Frelock" and smiled.  Such things happen, though I'm disappointed the angel didn't do anything for me.

Cure moderate wounds on HnH.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2010, 03:20:55 am »

I'm afraid it's impatient of me to say such a thing, but... rolls?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2010, 04:45:09 am »

Turn 17: The Best Offense Is A Good Defense

Quote from: Ochita
Throw away my staff for the moment, and put out HmH's flames, finally use water in the ground the freeze the demon' feet.
[2+1][Luck 3] You attempt to douse Nathan, but the weak water you summon just cools him a bit before evaporating.
+2 Water Magic

Quote from: Tarran
Walk towards the demon, and preform a sneak attack Diamond Cutter.
[2] vs [6] You drive your sword deep into the ground, and are hence holding still as the demon clobbers you.

Demon [4] vs [6] You at least manage to clip its torso as it lunges for you a second time.

Quote from: HmH
- if somebody may be hit by a nova, turn them into a tight spurt of flames aimed at the demon.
[1+2][Luck 1] You manage to channel off some of the flames, but not enough to put yourself out. More importantly, it only channels for a moment, before collapsing back onto your outstretched hands, burning them.
Burned Hands

Quote from: wolfchild
Dismiss my summons, the call forth a creature of the purest flames, then watch how it produces it's destructive might against the demons, so that i may start learning fire magic
[3][Luck 2] The meager power you're able to bring to bear doesn't focus properly, and you're unable to summon a creature of fire. You at least get a little puff of flame out of it.
+1 Fire Magic

Quote from: Paranatural
Cast a spell that produces an earthen arm from the ground that holds a hammer of stone, which the arm will use to bash the demon apart.
[5+1][Luck 2] A massive pillar of earth rises from the ground, arches back, and slams downwards with the force of an avalanche. Unfortunately you miss, and stagger both Tarran and the demon, while crushing neither.
+2 Earth Magic

Quote from: RandomNumberGenerator
Cast Lightning Edge and assume a defensive stance, waiting for the first demon's strike so I can counter it.
[4][Luck 1] You once again imbue your blade with lightning, only to have it shock you. Ow.

Demon [5] vs [2+3]
Demon [3] vs [4+1]

Despite your spell's abject failure, you parry the first demon's assault and gravely wound the second.

Quote from: Frelock
Cure moderate wounds on HnH.
[2][Luck 4] You fail to do anything for Nathan's condition. Perhaps if you weren't feeling so poor from certain incidents...

Spoiler: Nathan (HmH) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sargoth (Paranatural) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ochita/Bel (Ochita) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fre Ericson (Frelock) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tarran (Tarran) (click to show/hide)

UPD: Minor fix, IronyOwl. You have added a +1 to my cast roll instead of +2. Not that it changes anything.

Actually, that was intentional; using Destruction to make elemental shields is generally a level 2 spell. Same with Paranatural's earthen hammer this turn.

Though I really do need to think of a way to make what level spell you're casting known. And make damage more explicit. I'd really rather not have the exact numbers known, but it's way too vague right now.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 17: The Best Offense Is A Good Defense]
« Reply #194 on: July 28, 2010, 04:50:22 am »

If my sword is still in the ground, give the demon a good punch or two to the face then try to get my sword loose. If it's not stuck in the ground, cut the demon to ribbons the normal way.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 70