Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 70

Author Topic: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 64: Plenty of Power, Lack of Control]  (Read 90929 times)

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [Ready for Turn 1]
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 11:30:52 pm »

What magic does Ochita have access to?

Spar with a soldier if one is willing, practicing attacking in concert with my spirit ally. This is to prepare for inevitable combat, and WHY did you vote for the fortress people?
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 11:55:15 pm »

We won't get anywhere if we don't learn something about the demons. Best way to learn is by killing them.

Go and speak with the commander about a foray into the North.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [needs players]
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 11:57:07 pm »

Since we don't have a healer yet...

[...]
Bah, I wanted to make a holy paladin type character for the healing, then you have to come along and major restoration.

*grumbles*

Hmm...

Name: Thorontur

Skills: Major Polearms, Minor Elemental Lightning

Items: Halberd, Chainmail Hauberk & Chausses, Metal Cap, Cotton Tunic & Pants, Leather Boots & Bracers, Travel Supplies (Rations, Waterskin, Bedroll, Torch etc.)

Background: Thorontur was an elvish battlemage who traveled with a regular band consisting of himself, Marduk and Gaston who were twin brothers (and both quite deadly with the longbow), Dareus 'The Titan' and Aran who was a skilled healer. They worked as a mercenary company, fulfilling various contracts for merchants and nobles. They knew how each other worked in battle, knowledge that served them well and helped them win many fights. Their group had made quite a hefty fortune and was planning on retiring after one last contract, when he and his allies were ambushed by a group of hunting demons.

He was the only one who made it out alive.

Now he has all but forgotten about retirement and seeks vengeance for the deaths of those he considered his true family, and will stop at nothing until he has done them justice. He has a strict code of honor when dealing with other people, but feels that demons deserve none of his reservations and will even resort to dirty tricks when fighting them.

Appearance: Tall like most elfs, standing 6' 4" with a slight build. He has brown hair and golden eyes, with a lightly tanned complexion. He relies on skill and tactics in battle instead of raw strength, so he is not incredibly muscular, but he is not weak either.

Destination: Fort, I guess? Probably be alone fighting demons if/when my turn comes around.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 12:26:21 am »

WHY did you vote for the fortress people?
Fort people, fort people, hold like fort, talk like people...
Probably because villages are even more boring. And because it's better to have a sturdy fort behind my back than some villages.
I ask commander about the biggest of recent demonic onslaughts and volunteer for the foray.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 01:42:04 am »

Look around for any mages that can teach me anything about runecrafting
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 01:44:15 am »

What magic does Ochita have access to?

None I don't like him Er, oops. Fixed now.

Also changed how Rune of Necrosis works. Also maxicaxi, you still have a question to ask the archmage, which we'll assume is enjoyed through a flashback sequence.

RNG, due to certain issues regarding uncertainty of the elves, I can't really let you play an elf, or at least not one of the ones that lived up north and are currently assumed responsible for the invasion. You could be a different sort of elf, but you'd probably have to be either a non-native to the continent, or come from a very small village or somesuch. Also note that anything recognizable as an elf would trigger major alarms from most people, which could be a problem for you (but not the game). EDIT: Incidentally, that means you wouldn't necessarily have to change anything.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:21:30 am by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 02:14:11 am »

Turn 1: Off On The Wrong Foot

Quote from: maxicaxi
i use rune of necrosis on my crossbow
Runecrafting [4][Luck 1], Necromancy [2+1][Luck 4]
You succeed in scribing a serviceable rune of necrosis onto your crossbow, but it somehow gets reversed to afflict the crossbow itself. It's now slowly rotting.
+2 Necromancy

Quote from: wolfchild
Spar with a soldier if one is willing, practicing attacking in concert with my spirit ally.
You try to find a soldier to spar with. [6] An entire squad is willing to help spar. Sparring: [2] vs [1] You and your spirit companion's inept flailings nonetheless manage to tangle the soldiers in with each other. [Luck 2] Unfortunately it seems like fairly unique circumstances, and you don't learn anything from it.

Quote from: Ochita
Look around for any mages that can teach me anything about runecrafting
You try to find a runecrafter. [4] You locate a novice runecrafter sitting in the shade of the wall, [Luck 3]. He's willing to talk about runes in vague terms, but isn't interested in giving you a full speech or teach you the runes he knows.
+1 Runecrafting

Quote from: Paranatural
Go and speak with the commander about a foray into the North.
Quote from: HmH
I ask commander about the biggest of recent demonic onslaughts and volunteer for the foray.

As it turns out, the commander isn't particularly busy and is more than willing to meet with potential agents. He's an imposing, broad-shouldered man with close-cropped and seemingly blond hair, and sizes you both up before speaking. Paranatural Diplomacy [1], HmH Diplomacy [1]. You manage to convince him that you're arrogant twits who are going to get themselves killed the second they step foot outside the walls, and he politely but firmly suggests that you go hone your skills a bit more somewhere else.

Spoiler: Max Smith (maxicaxi) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nathan (HmH) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sargoth (Paranatural) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ochita/Bel (Ochita) (click to show/hide)

Uh, wow. Wasn't expecting that with the diplomacy. I guess that'll make things more interesting at least...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:18:33 am by IronyOwl »
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Magi RTD [Turn 1: Off On The Wrong Foot]
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 03:08:20 am »

aww, not even any summoning exp or exp in encouraging people for that?, practice keeping my spirit henchman out for as long as possible, following the others if we actually go anywhere
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 03:27:27 am »

before any true damage is done I try to reverse the effects of the rune and make it work correctly.
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 03:58:28 am »

Paranatural Diplomacy [1], HmH Diplomacy [1]
LOL'd.

I reconfigure Imbue Concussion Bomb for activation on hit. Let's see who's an arrogant twit after I turn their arrows into missiles.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 08:17:13 am »

Well, crap.

I'll head back outside the fortress and see if I can find the ingredients for a stoneskin potion. If I do I'll make one and give it to the commander as an apology for my previous transgressions and a show of my competence.

The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 10:05:23 am »

Look around for some type of healer, ask to teach me a cure light wounds spell.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 10:40:59 am »

bumptm
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 11:20:56 am »

RNG, due to certain issues regarding uncertainty of the elves, I can't really let you play an elf, or at least not one of the ones that lived up north and are currently assumed responsible for the invasion. You could be a different sort of elf, but you'd probably have to be either a non-native to the continent, or come from a very small village or somesuch. Also note that anything recognizable as an elf would trigger major alarms from most people, which could be a problem for you (but not the game). EDIT: Incidentally, that means you wouldn't necessarily have to change anything.
Well, I was planning on being one of the elves from the north, but I also left my homeland around 20 years ago and never went back, so I wouldn't know any more than an average human. I know I would be hated/feared/shunned by a lot of people, but I'm rather looking forward to that, since it allows some fun roleplay.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 06:04:29 pm »

Turn 2: Unexpected Benefits

Quote from: wolfchild
practice keeping my spirit henchman out for as long as possible, following the others if we actually go anywhere
[5][[Luck 3] You succeed in maintaining the spirit's presence far longer than you thought possible. However, doing so with nothing else to worry about is much different than doing so in the middle of combat.
+2 Summoning

Quote from: maxicaxi
before any true damage is done I try to reverse the effects of the rune and make it work correctly.
Runecrafting [4][Luck 4] Necromancy [1+1][Luck 3]. You manage to redirect the rune from damaging the crossbow, but can't make it apply its energies properly. It's no longer rotting, but it's not a necrotic crossbow.
+1 Runecrafting

Quote from: HmH
I reconfigure Imbue Concussion Bomb for activation on hit.
Enchanting [2][Luck 6], Destruction [5+1][6]. You're unable to make the enchantment apply properly to a rock you find on the ground, but are able to shunt the destructive energies away from you. Speaking of which, you succeed in channeling a truly massive amount of power into the attempt before discovering you can't contain it, instead blasting it safely away from you. Well, safe for you; the soldiers seem a bit displeased somebody's firing combat magics off in the middle of the fort.
+3 Destruction
New Spell: Shrapnel Shatter

Quote from: Paranatural
I'll head back outside the fortress and see if I can find the ingredients for a stoneskin potion. If I do I'll make one and give it to the commander as an apology for my previous transgressions and a show of my competence.
[2][Luck 6] You find no alchemical reagents, but do stumble upon some small white stones, crystalline in nature. Suspecting they might be useful for something, you snatch them up.
Gained white stones.

Quote from: Ochita
Look around for some type of healer, ask to teach me a cure light wounds spell.
[6][Luck 4]. You manage to find what looks like a slightly disheveled priest, who is more than willing to rant to you at length about not doing anything but healing as it's bad for your soul, morals, and character. [3][Luck 4] You... think you grasp the basics of the spell, but you don't know enough to make it very powerful, and you're not sure how healing magic in general works.
New Spell: Cure Minor Wounds

The commander is now moving around in the yard. The soldiers seem to be getting ready for something, but there isn't the sense of urgency or concern you'd expect from an attack.

Spoiler: Max Smith (maxicaxi) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nathan (HmH) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sargoth (Paranatural) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ochita/Bel (Ochita) (click to show/hide)

Well, I was planning on being one of the elves from the north, but I also left my homeland around 20 years ago and never went back, so I wouldn't know any more than an average human. I know I would be hated/feared/shunned by a lot of people, but I'm rather looking forward to that, since it allows some fun roleplay.

Alright, that'll work.

On a related note, five players is awfully sparse, but I was hoping to test out actual combat before adding people.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 70