Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Treating Dwarves  (Read 406 times)

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Treating Dwarves
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:49:15 am »

So I've got this legendary in everything dwarf swordsmaster I'm pretty fond of. Started playing with 0.31.08 and during that time he got some bad sparring injuries. Specifically he has 2 broken toes. He also got multiple other injuries which are more minor. The thing is recently I saw pus in his toes, since the doctors never treated him properly (my fort was small nad weak then) he never got cured well. However now I want to try to heal him.

Since you cannot force doctors to diagnosticate dwarves, I did the typical cave-in technique, during which he broke his foot and arm. He was taken to the hospital and promptly given a cast for the new injuries, however the old were ignored. My diagnostician is a High Master diagnostician. So now looking over his health screen I see he has torn artery, damaged muscle, the broken toes and an infection.

He went back to training with the broken toes and is doing just fine. He is pretty much maxed out in all the stats (ultra agile, ultra strong, ultra resilient), but I'm worried about the infection. Is there any way to deal with that? How does one go around to properly curing dwarves? Is it all dependent on having a proper hospital at the time of the injury? What is the best way to get a proper hospital?

From my experience I'd believe you have to have a hospital at the time of injury with good doctors. I'd also think that having a good diagnostician is probably the most important. This is probably all due to me being used to the old version and not embarking with a doctor, will have that in mind for next fort (although this one seems it'll last a bit). Would like to see more insight on the issue.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Treating Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 04:08:17 am »

It's very likely that one of your immigrants is a doctor.

First things first, make sure you have a head doctor, which is assigned in the Nobles screen.

Then, designate a hospital with beds, a LOT of chests/bags, tables. I don't think that traction benches have been fixed yet, so avoid those.

Hospitals are designated as zones through i.

Ensure you have splints, crutches, thread, cloth, plaster available.

That should be all.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Treating Dwarves
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 04:28:59 am »

It's very likely that one of your immigrants is a doctor.

First things first, make sure you have a head doctor, which is assigned in the Nobles screen.

Then, designate a hospital with beds, a LOT of chests/bags, tables. I don't think that traction benches have been fixed yet, so avoid those.

Hospitals are designated as zones through i.

Ensure you have splints, crutches, thread, cloth, plaster available.

That should be all.

Yes, I have the High Master doctor which I'm using, but he's not treating old injuries. He can treat new injuries fine. My question mainly relay on how to treat the old injuries, including the infection that worries me the most.