Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Retro does music  (Read 7771 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Retro does music
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:31:22 am »

So writing/composing/whatevering music has been a hobby for a long time now, and I've been especially prolific lately, so I thought I'd share a bit!

Stuff for Game: This is for a flash Animal-Croosing-esque game Markavian is putting together. Most of what I upload over the summer is going to be for this.
Opening Title (relaxed) - loops at about 1/4 in, or after the second set of instruments; this is from before I got in the habit of making the previews non-looping.
Opening Title (upbeat) - again, loops about 1/4 of the way through.
Autumn (main/village)
Autumn (beach)
Autumn (piano-and-strings original rendition)
Winter (main/village; wip)
Summer (main/village; wip)

Misc. and Random and Whatnot:
Harvest Ballad - A orchestral piece worked around a guitar line I wrote way back in I think grade 9. A real guitar would've sounded nicer here, but I'm still happy with how it turned out.
Retreive Armageddon - At one point I was hoping to apply to be a MSPA music dude, but then album 5 came out and the number of artists went up from like 7 to 70 and there was no point. The title remains a play on MSPA/Homestuck, though :P
Ninja Fight Sequence - Back in high school I wrote a really over-the-top action film parody called President of the World. We never had time to film the last 1/3, so it remains incomplete, but the music is intact... so here's the cheesy theme I wrote for a fight scene between a heroic ninja, the President of the World, and the evil Head of Global Security.
Sneaking - Also from PotW; a generic sneaking-past-the-guards-but-played-for-laughs bit. Short but neat. I think I have more PotW stuff lying around but I can't find anything else right now.
Seas of Sol - Was bored and whipped this up in half an hour earlier today. Not very good (and far from polished) but I like the direction it's going. Felt very "pirates in space."
Histories of X and Y - Half of a Dwarg Fortress main theme remix. Worked on this while I learned how to use Mixcraft... and then when I got a good grip, I just kinda gave up on doing the second half :\
Facade - Mysterious piece

Live/Recorded: Only one thing now (without actual vocals to boot) but I have a whole batch of original songs that I'm lazily working on recording, so I might upload some of them later.
DF Elf Song - Either "Blood for the Blood God" or "!!Elves!! for Armok" or "Hey Di Lee Hi;" the title was never really nailed down. Arkenstone started up a thread, Josiwe posted some lyrics and I threw some music together. Very sloppy work on my part but sounds nice.

Updates!
July 12 - ohai a thread
July 16 - Histories of X and Y
August 3 - Winter preview 4
August 16 - Summer preview
August 27 - Facade
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:25:36 pm by Retro »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: Retro does music
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 07:59:41 am »

WHY DID IT STOP LOOPING?! Seriously, very nice background music, very lively, but to really feel it I needed it to loop around as if it was in a game!

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:35:18 pm »

Harvest Ballad is wonderful.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:48:26 pm »

You have tabs for any of these?

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:53:15 pm »

What program do you use?
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 09:57:47 pm »

Thanks for the feedback guise!

You have tabs for any of these?

Not on-hand, but I could rig some up if you're interested. What'd ya like?

What program do you use?

Acoustica Mixcraft 5 - I'm a Windows guy, and while I think Mac music editing programs are wicked, Mixcraft is the best Windows music creatorthingprogram I've found after a fair amount of trying (and really the only one I've tried that I could even bear). It's got a I think 15 day trial; google it and grab it if you like. I just plug in my really shitty MIDI keyboard and go.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 10:03:02 pm »

I can handle Guitar Pro, .txt, Power Tab, or PDF tabs, but the MIDI files would probably be easiest for you if you don't already have tabs.
As for which songs, Harvest Ballad is my favourite, but I've not heard all of them.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:07:40 pm »

Retro does music well :D

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 10:22:29 pm »

Oh man, this stuff is great. I really like the Opening Title, that's the only one I've heard so far - I'll try the other ones now.

EDIT: The Upbeat version is even better!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 10:36:10 pm »

I can handle Guitar Pro, .txt, Power Tab, or PDF tabs, but the MIDI files would probably be easiest for you if you don't already have tabs.
As for which songs, Harvest Ballad is my favourite, but I've not heard all of them.

Well, I'm pretty familiar with Power Tab, so I threw Harvest Ballad together in that (just the opening; the rest is mostly just walking up and down chords). It's pretty easy; just let it ring as much as you can. Download be here.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 10:43:06 pm »

Maaaan I love the Harvest Ballad. Huge props on the drums.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 10:44:53 pm »

huh, I need to look into Acoustica Mixcraft 5 it seems.

I always wanted to get into composing on my computer but the dauntingness of programs such as Reason and Ableton Live have turned me off from it.

This is great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 10:48:46 pm »

The music is amazing!

I've only listened to a few so far, but they are all awesome.

How much would I have to pay to convince you to make some tracks for my next game?
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 11:09:13 pm »

huh, I need to look into Acoustica Mixcraft 5 it seems.

I always wanted to get into composing on my computer but the dauntingness of programs such as Reason and Ableton Live have turned me off from it.

Yeah, there's some stuff out there that's just impenetreble. Mixcraft is great, though, and aside from a few kind of odd quirks is extremely reliable and effective. I can supply some example files if need be.

How much would I have to pay to convince you to make some tracks for my next game?

Uh... not very much. This is already my main hobby, so I'm pretty happy to do stuff at low cost, plus I get a good lump of experience for the future. If I end up getting enough work over the years that I move into professional territory, I imagine I'll start charging a bunch, but right now there's no point. So... get in while it's cheap, I guess! :P If you're really interested, you can PM me or find me on the B12 newnet IRC channel.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 11:14:11 pm »

Awesome, thanks.

I wish I still had my midi skills.
About 4 years ago, that was all I did, I got really good at it.
Now, I can't just slap some stuff onto a piano roll and have it sound kickass, unfortunately.
Pages: [1] 2 3