Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Retro does music  (Read 7768 times)

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
Re: Retro does music
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 11:45:44 pm »

Thanks, Retro!

Once this newest project of mine gets off of its feet, it will have a huge scope.
I'd love to have some music like this, and to make some of my own as well.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 02:54:30 am »

i approve.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 06:12:36 pm »

Well, I just got home after a week and a half away. Now that I've got my keyboard back and I'm not just using the less-than-preferable computer keyboard typing music thingy, I can actually get some output going, hopefully by the end of the weekend.

Meanwhiles, here's half of a Dwarg Fortress main theme remix called Histories of X and Y. Worked on this while I learned how to use Mixcraft... and then when I got a good grip, I just kinda gave up on doing the second half :\

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 06:49:30 pm »

Sounds pretty good.  A lot better than I can do.  Whenever I try making music it always ends up sounding absurdly amateurish.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 01:19:17 am »

That's why people have professions, so you can have something you've made that you can compare it to something else, and be analytical about your work.
For example, like me :). Retro, that was awesome, especially the beginning where the theme starts, for understandable reasons, but later I really felt like the theme could be more pronounced that is bass could be pulled back a little, and the amazing arpeggios brought forward. Also, the drums in the calmer section - I'd think it would be a good idea to follow the original piece's dynamics and maybe shut them off.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 01:25:10 am »

Amazing.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 10:13:33 am »

Retro, that was awesome, especially the beginning where the theme starts, for understandable reasons, but later I really felt like the theme could be more pronounced that is bass could be pulled back a little, and the amazing arpeggios brought forward. Also, the drums in the calmer section - I'd think it would be a good idea to follow the original piece's dynamics and maybe shut them off.

Yeah, I fully agree. It's not a very polished piece, both since I was using it to learn the program and because I tend to do all my fixing up when I actually finish a piece and I never finished this despite intending to (and doubt I'll go back to it now). Thanks for the advice, even though I won't be working on it anymore :P

All right, time to see about getting something done today. Maybe if I finish up the winter theme once and for all today, I can spend the rest of the night working on a fun platformer-boss type melody I was toying with earlier.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 05:39:13 pm »

Harvest Ballad is now actually the music I choose to listen to when going about my daily life.
Is there some way you can make it loop? Or host a download so I can play it in a music player that has the looping function?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 06:05:15 pm »

Thanks! And I could absolutely make it a loop! I could either toss out a track that loops on its own a set number of times, or a track consisting only of the looping part and you can have it loop forever on its own. Which would you rather?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 06:31:42 pm »

Er, I think I didn't phrase that clearly enough. I meant that, the way that Tindeck does it, it plays the song, and then the song ends. I want to be able to play it, and then play games, type stuff up, whatever, and once it goes to the end, it'll go back to the beginning, and loop over and over and over again. It's not a problem with the song, it's a problem with Tindeck.
You could also provide a download of the file; things like Windows Media Player can loop it. But I'd understand if you didn't want to.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 06:41:14 pm »

Ah, okay. I've no problem with people I show my stuff to downloading it, I'd just not have some random guy on the internet randomly stumble upon my stuff and grab a copy :P Okay, downloading's turned on for Harvest Ballad now. Going to turn it off tomorrow because I'm totally paranoid, but in the meantime, there you go.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 07:24:51 pm »

Hurray, thanks!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 04:25:30 pm »

Hokay so I did a bit more work on the Winter theme. It's still way to melody-led, though. Been trying to soften it up a bit but that really doesn't come naturally to me. Anyhow, link.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 05:59:27 pm »

Damnit Retro, you're supposed to tell me if you have hidden super-talents I can exploit.

Great stuff.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 06:38:07 pm »

Thanks for the download! Music is fun and interesting.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream
Pages: 1 [2] 3