Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your most desired suggestion out of the collected top 10?

show levers / name levers / blink connected
- 35 (6.4%)
excavate - mine without stone production
- 32 (5.9%)
stop dwarven entrance dance when ordered inside
- 73 (13.4%)
forbidden area designation
- 20 (3.7%)
more raw files
- 50 (9.2%)
job priorities
- 55 (10.1%)
combine stacks / better stack handling
- 65 (11.9%)
more underground diversity
- 93 (17%)
improved sieges
- 48 (8.8%)
framerate improvements
- 75 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 545

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Top 10 suggestions  (Read 40475 times)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 suggestions
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2008, 03:26:01 am »

It seems to me we need a top 10 for every release, or a top 10 for every major release. That way we can keep the old votes to review whenever, and incorporate new voting options that are based on the latest version. What do yas think?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2008, 05:36:10 am »

i think the best would be one open vote thread where you can introduce new suggestions and/or support the suggestions of others with your vote. So, pretty much like the earlier rounds of Top10 threads (with open voting, so everyone knows what everybody else has voted for...to make mobbing a possibility ;)), but with some kind of automatism, that makes updates and edits a bit less tedious.
I might be able to skript something in PHP. It would be cool if we could use the forum's user DB for this. What do you think?

I don't know anything about using the forum's user DB, but if you're familiar with SMF, then you know more about it than I do.  Would this be something like a script sitting up on b12 where people log in and mess with suggestion stuff?  Or something that does a simple parse on some pre-agreed format for posts in the thread?  I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting regarding the php.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2008, 10:00:29 am »

Is it just me, or did participation in the poll jump from ~120 to ~190 in a single day of being stickied?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2008, 10:50:58 am »

It jumped.   :)
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2008, 06:08:53 am »

I voted for showing levers. As much as I would like an "excavate" designation, I coud only support it if you could tell the dwarves only to excavate the main rock in a given layer (so they don't destroy any coal, ores, gems, microcline, etc.). No, I wouldn't really mind all the "Excavation designation cancelled: Economic stone located" messages.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2008, 10:34:15 pm »

More access to the raw files please. Dwarf Fortress has a following of competent modders and I can only drool at the prospect of what they and I could create with a little more variables to tinker with.

I'd love to see the frame-rate be increased as well but I feel that Toady should probably not attempt any massive optimization operations until he has finished his current developmental arc or he may end up nullifying his optimizations.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2008, 04:17:49 am »

i think the best would be one open vote thread where you can introduce new suggestions and/or support the suggestions of others with your vote. So, pretty much like the earlier rounds of Top10 threads (with open voting, so everyone knows what everybody else has voted for...to make mobbing a possibility ;)), but with some kind of automatism, that makes updates and edits a bit less tedious.
I might be able to skript something in PHP. It would be cool if we could use the forum's user DB for this. What do you think?

I don't know anything about using the forum's user DB, but if you're familiar with SMF, then you know more about it than I do.  Would this be something like a script sitting up on b12 where people log in and mess with suggestion stuff?  Or something that does a simple parse on some pre-agreed format for posts in the thread?  I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting regarding the php.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about SMF. But I think it should be possible to introduce custom pages. If not, the B12-Webpage would still be a possibility. And if the SMF DB can be accessed from external sites, we could even use the existing authentication info.
But really, I was just brainstorming.

[Edit]Ok, I've found this: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=249463.0 Looks quite promising.[/Edit]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 04:36:57 am by zagibu »
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Lunval Vici

• Bay Watcher
  • It's
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2008, 10:52:17 am »

Yeah, of course I want to know what people want.  That's what this board is here for.  We can try stickying this I suppose.  I'm not sure in general how else we could change the suggestion boards.  I don't think they are broken, but some people have different view on this.

Of course it's good to know what the people want - the only thing I'm concerned about is if I'm voting for some stuff that isn't possible to implemented in the near future.

I don't think the polls are broken, I would however like to be able to give more than one vote. I think the polls would be more accurate if you could rate maybe 10 items on the list, giving them 1-10 points.
You're only has good as your last haircut.

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2008, 01:00:57 pm »

and then, i've made my vote FOR a suggested feature, but i would also like to have a vote AGAINST one, namely excavate. It seems to me that mining or digging is essentially removing material from the ground. Not having that part of the task is wishing to make stone simply evaporate by sheer terror of a copper pick.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2008, 09:50:09 pm »

Voted for underground diversity.
Such a feature could entail things like cave rivers with sedimentary stone walls/floor (with their associated minerals!) and cave rivers that began as an above-ground river. As well, potentially "dry" underground rivers /lakes that have tower caps and underground bushes growing in them, or combinations of natural chasms /rivers /pools and of course, finding some of these on non-mountain tiles, as well.

[Just imagine, hitting a cave river that leads to a underground lake, which has a vortex-like drain going into a chasm below. Hell yes!]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:52:38 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2008, 09:18:24 am »

Underground civilizations that has no entrance point from above. I want to discover a trodlogdyte civilization that lives under my fortress. Or the attack of the molemen.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2008, 04:21:50 pm »

I voted for Job Priorities .. I had a hard time to decide between this and underground diversity ..
but if I have to choose between easier gameplay and more fluff.. I choose gameplay

But since another topic seems always to pop up again,

Pretty sure that's in the Reqs somewhere; lemme go look.

Found it:
Req27, IMPROVED WORKSHOP INTERFACES, (Future): Many workshops should give you the option to choose which material, plant etc. you'd like to use, rather than just picking the closest one.

I would like to include it into the next poll :)

p.s. I too don't like the excavate idea, I never liked the idea of destroying ressources .. even narrow pig tail socks or alunite.. but if you want to do it .. drop it in magma or a chasm ..
its gone then .. and yes .. getting rid of stuff is and should stay actual work :)

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2008, 08:03:10 pm »

I don't really want to read through 9 pages of stuff to see if this was suggested, but it would be cool if the user could set the priorities and have them change.  When you start off stone hauling is probably the furthest thing from your mind.  Also telling one person when to switch between wood cutting and carpentry would be cool w/o removing the designation on all the trees you don't need now.  And when that legendary stone crafter starts working stone hauling becomes high priority along with item hauling, but when he is asleep mabey shift to something like mining or farming instead.

smartalco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2008, 10:41:16 pm »

more raw file access

specifically, give us more then 256 spaces for character sets (it already is for graphic sets, why not character sets?) that would allow complete skins for the game, which would definitely open up the accessibility of it (more important than better menus I think)

ArchMageOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2008, 12:31:08 pm »

Character sets can't be more than 256 characters (or less), since they are indexed by ASCII characters (a, b, c, 1, 2, 3, #, [, ~, etc.) and there are only 256 of these.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15