Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your most desired suggestion out of the collected top 10?

show levers / name levers / blink connected
- 35 (6.4%)
excavate - mine without stone production
- 32 (5.9%)
stop dwarven entrance dance when ordered inside
- 73 (13.4%)
forbidden area designation
- 20 (3.7%)
more raw files
- 50 (9.2%)
job priorities
- 55 (10.1%)
combine stacks / better stack handling
- 65 (11.9%)
more underground diversity
- 93 (17%)
improved sieges
- 48 (8.8%)
framerate improvements
- 75 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 545

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Top 10 suggestions  (Read 40477 times)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 suggestions
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2008, 11:58:29 pm »

if someone cares enough about something to make multiple accounts to vote for it, their desire outweighs mine.  (quick fix is to make it nessicery to have 5 posts before you can vote)

There's a quick fix to that and any other limit you set for someone who desperately wants to sway the votes.

I agree for the need for caution in interpreting results re: possible multi-account holders.

As far as I can see, public voting would be the best solution, but even that doesn't solve the above problem. I wonder if having Points-voting would help? As in, you can put 4 points to your most favoured suggestion, two points to another, and one point to your least desired. That way, even multi-account holders will begin to show a pattern in their voting, but the problem becomes more diffused across the distrubution of votes (i.e., even if the MAHs randomise their 2 and 1 point votes, the distribution evens out somewhat, and true means still stand out).

Then again, I'm not a great Statistician, so this may over-estimate the frequency of 'abuse' and is probably as vulnerable as the current system.

Lunval Vici

• Bay Watcher
  • It's
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2008, 01:32:41 am »

If you were referring to arc order...

Please bear with me as I am very drunk on th3 white russian.

I was not referring to the arc order. More to the very many REQ's on the great T's list. Surely He Himself has to have a greater understanding of the all encompassing order of things.

It all comes down to this: Do you, Great Toady One, have an opinion on how these polls are conducted. Do you wish that we, the lowly users of your magnificent code will have a more direct (as we are trying to now) influence on the development - or would it be more wise to have you telling us what features are feasible implementable-wize in the near future?

Drunken Greetings from Hafnarfjörður, Iceland everyone!
You're only has good as your last haircut.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2008, 09:11:29 am »

Combine stacks PLEEEEAAASSSE!!!! Have mercy on my poor stockpiles & everyone elses too! If not, then stop the entrance dance.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2008, 09:57:47 am »

I've changed my vote to more underground diversity, although the entrance dance remains a very close second.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2008, 05:32:52 pm »

Bump!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2008, 10:18:16 am »

Hmm, 114 votes is all? Seems not enough to counter votecrafting...
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2008, 01:34:10 pm »

Allow custom naming of professions that don't end in "man."

I don't give a damn if I can't vote for it, I'm still voting for it.

EDIT: I just noticed there was a "more raw files" option. I feel stupid now.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:13:41 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2008, 09:27:44 am »

<Bump>

Toady can we get this stickied?

It'd be great if every month or so we could run another brain-storming session and then poll the community.

It would also cut down on repeated suggestions.

Lunval Vici

• Bay Watcher
  • It's
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2008, 03:05:43 am »

I bump this some more since The Great One has not answered my earlier inquiry in this thread.

My suggestion would eliminate repeated suggestions. We could also have two poll threads running.

One with user suggestions like this one, stuff The Great One might not have thunk of yet.
The other with The Great One's list of stuff that He sees as candidates for near-future implementation.
You're only has good as your last haircut.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2008, 04:17:57 am »

Yeah, of course I want to know what people want.  That's what this board is here for.  We can try stickying this I suppose.  I'm not sure in general how else we could change the suggestion boards.  I don't think they are broken, but some people have different view on this.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2008, 04:39:15 am »

Seems to me that anything users think is sufficiently important will keep floating to the top anyway ;)

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2008, 06:25:20 am »

i think the best would be one open vote thread where you can introduce new suggestions and/or support the suggestions of others with your vote. So, pretty much like the earlier rounds of Top10 threads (with open voting, so everyone knows what everybody else has voted for...to make mobbing a possibility ;)), but with some kind of automatism, that makes updates and edits a bit less tedious.
I might be able to skript something in PHP. It would be cool if we could use the forum's user DB for this. What do you think?
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2008, 12:08:31 pm »

As far as the suggestions system being broken... I don't think so.

The #1 complaint I have seen is the "Already been suggested". However multiple threads on the same discussion don't really hurt the system b/c Master Toad scans the board frequently.... 12 threads in a month (from different users)for one suggestion would seem to have just as much weight as one thread with 112 replies.

The #2 complaint is "Already is in the notes". This is an easy one to miss, since the notes (ranging from Reqs to bloats, to Power Goals) are both extensive, and at times, vague. Just b/c Toady has already  stated in bloat XXX that he wants to add in a dwarven trash compactor (made up example) does not mean it is not open for discussion (IMHO). It is possible our discussion might inspire him in some way.

-> It does help however, if we were to get organized (kudos to zagibu ...again). <-

I love the method we are now discussing: use a thread to brainstorm, then compile a list, prioritize and poll. It'd be even better, if like zagibu said, there could be some basic automation to save on the workload.

One addition I'd throw out is that if Toady sees a few topics he is interested in pursuing, that we could run 2-3 stickied threads about just that topic. Say the next thing Toady wants to work on is underground diversity (my fav, but just an example)... sticky that topic so everyone could chime in with their ideas on the topic. That way when he is sitting down with his notes, etc...there is just one thread to reference with 176734 different opinions on the details, as well as discussion on obvious balance issues, potential exploits, synergies with related game mechanics, and opportunities for "fun stuff".

The above would work best if Toady made the thread himself, wrote a bare-bones proposal, and listed any limitation we need to know about (IE "I want to do this, but it needs to be simple" or " But I can't make any changes in X to do this, because the arc I am working on relies on that code.")

/rant

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2008, 01:01:26 pm »

The problem with this is that it's all over the place.  Maybe make the main vote thread read only with links to the major discussion threads only, so there's not 8 pages of... not real info?

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2008, 07:35:08 pm »

It was a extremely really close tie between performance issues and improved sieges (i.e. tunneling goblin squads).  I had a harder time choosing with those two.  (I chose performance).

Fortress mode is very playable, but I'd like to be able to play adventure mode too because the latest release, with the history, made adventure mode way awesome and grabbed my attention away from fortress!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:41:34 pm by ravensword227 »
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15