Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your most desired suggestion out of the collected top 10?

show levers / name levers / blink connected
- 35 (6.4%)
excavate - mine without stone production
- 32 (5.9%)
stop dwarven entrance dance when ordered inside
- 73 (13.4%)
forbidden area designation
- 20 (3.7%)
more raw files
- 50 (9.2%)
job priorities
- 55 (10.1%)
combine stacks / better stack handling
- 65 (11.9%)
more underground diversity
- 93 (17%)
improved sieges
- 48 (8.8%)
framerate improvements
- 75 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 545

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Top 10 suggestions  (Read 40483 times)

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 suggestions
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2008, 04:01:24 am »

i voted for better stack handling again. In those suggestions, some things are very large and could be considered a large part of an ARC or even a Developpement arc in themselves (siege), some others would be just a wee bit faster to code (entry dance for example).

As for Arc, the way the current army arc is intermingled with Caravan arc and life cycle arc, my guess is that we'll see more of those.

I'd be happy to get just regular updates, small features additions and bugfixes for a time though. Whole developement arcs bring whole new dimensions to the game (sometimes litterally :) ), but small additions and such are cool too.

I'd like some stuff like more developped guilds thing with guilds representatives (could be just noble-like worker who sometime request some jobs like now at first), a use for soap, making basic medecine at the alchemy laboratory, an economy that we won't dread to face (hence my vote for better stack handling), having constructions count as inside as in "dwarfs stay inside", etc...

Those are not whole arcs (but could probably all get dispatched to their rellevant arcs), but would all be nice and would probably be faster to add than the deep code structure handling required for such things as the army arc. And I'm sure toady would enjoy coding the thing at the top of his head sometime, rather than straining on a single (granted, glorious) task for months.

Toady, i don't know what you intend to do (or not to do) about the schedule of future developement, i remember you stated you didn't really like to get locked in the developpement of an arc for months and would like to get more variety (which certainly is understandable), i'm sure many others would be quite fine if you took some pauses on the way to very huge awesome features (completed army arc or duchy arc for example) to add some spare features we're asking for, or just for some you're just feeling like coding.

I know i am confident in your good taste and imagination to add some stuff that we'll have fun with. Or maybe stuff that will have fun with us. Like Elephants.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:00:34 am by Athmos »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2008, 04:10:49 pm »

I'm shocked that there's no 'public voting' option, where you can force people to vote publically.  Sure it's not a server config setting?

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2008, 06:48:01 pm »

Perhaps the easiest way to deal with this would be to check if a given IP has already voted before allowing them to submit their vote. While this could be sidestepped, it would be a fair bit harder than switching to another alias.

As for the poll, I had to go with 'improved stack handling', with my close second being 'more raw files'. The stack handling at the moment is, in my opinion, one of the most inexplicable things missing from the game. Of course it should be handled within limit, no stacks of 1000 -steel bolts-.

I'm surprised more on the topics haven't been suggested, or maybe I'm just blind to the thread where all this was discussed in intricate detail.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2008, 06:53:31 pm »

I voted for "stopping entrance dance" because that is the option with highest gameplay benefits without adding additional interface complexity.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2008, 08:45:16 pm »

Well, if you grab the bones of a size 100 critter, youu get 300+ bolts in a stack.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2008, 09:58:12 pm »

500+, actually.  Five bolts per bone.

That would be one very stuffed quiver...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2008, 11:58:24 pm »

If you can restack you should be able to destack.  Turn that bone bolts [500] into 10 bone bolts [50] as each of 10 marksdwarves grabs a handful and goes.

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2008, 02:19:32 am »

I only see it after the legendaries have gotten their hands on the damn things. :)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2008, 02:25:46 am »

I voted for stacks as well.  My hunters and marksdwarves often go out with a "stack" of exactly 3 iron bolts.  Also, as mentioned above, destacking is important too -- I've had elephant meat spoil because the stack was too big to fit in a barrel (can be avoided by quick cooking, I know).

Slightly off-topic: does anyone know whether bone construction/decoration tasks use the entire stack of bones (however many bones are in it), or just removes one from the stack?

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2008, 02:32:52 am »

whole stack.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2008, 03:23:10 am »

whole stack.

Even for decorations?  Oh damn.  I wanted to make the most of that tentacle demon bone.

Going back on topic, what's with the job priorities?  Is the priority in the Manager screen broken or something?

e: oh, you mean standing priorities for individual dwarves.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:26:23 am by Footkerchief »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2008, 03:25:10 am »

And I don't know if it's just coincidence, but it seems to be that the more bones in the stack, the higher quality the item will turn out to be.  I've had dabbling boneworkers come out with *bone crossbow*s after sucking up a large stack, and then go on to make a no-value turtle bone crossbow from one bone. 

Like I said, might just be coincidence, but it's happened a few times.

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2008, 04:08:56 am »

Stack handling could also help storing seeds without using a gazillion bags in a barrel, or having a stockpile full of 1 item stacks. Haulers could have a tidying job to restack as needed.
Currently, items can be taken apart from a large stack, but it only happen in some case. I suspect hauling and storing happen only for whole stack, notably, but most  dwarves know better than to grab the whole pile of coins and face the hammerer.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2008, 03:11:10 pm »

Perhaps the easiest way to deal with this would be to check if a given IP has already voted before allowing them to submit their vote. While this could be sidestepped, it would be a fair bit harder than switching to another alias.
IPs can change. It would be a shame if yome people couldn't vote, only because someone with the same provider has voted before...
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2008, 03:32:03 pm »

if someone cares enough about something to make multiple accounts to vote for it, their desire outweighs mine.  (quick fix is to make it nessicery to have 5 posts before you can vote)
The great game of Warlocks!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15