Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your most desired suggestion out of the collected top 10?

show levers / name levers / blink connected
- 35 (6.4%)
excavate - mine without stone production
- 32 (5.9%)
stop dwarven entrance dance when ordered inside
- 73 (13.4%)
forbidden area designation
- 20 (3.7%)
more raw files
- 50 (9.2%)
job priorities
- 55 (10.1%)
combine stacks / better stack handling
- 65 (11.9%)
more underground diversity
- 93 (17%)
improved sieges
- 48 (8.8%)
framerate improvements
- 75 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 545

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Top 10 suggestions  (Read 40410 times)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 suggestions
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2008, 09:29:02 am »

forbidden area designation
-- getting dwarves to just not path in certain tiles at all is very expensive both mem and cpu wise the way I've got things set up, and with the z axis overhaul this became virtually impossible as far as I can tell, without a complete rewrite of all of the pathing, the specifics of which elude me.  A few people have tried things out here with varying results -- the general idea is to block out the map with a bunch of rectangles/cubes and work with those, but I'm not sure how that would work out, considering things like dense forests and liquid flows and messy tangles of ramp connections and so on.

I assume you're using A* or Dijkstra-search or similar algorithm. If so, all you need to to is up the cost significantly of the forbidden nodes and they will never be taken. If your node definition can't handle this (no weight members etc) then pathing needs an overhaul anyway :)
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2008, 10:57:12 am »

Um maybe this is a stupid comment.... but wouldn't it be just as easy, when ever the path algorithmn queries "what kind of tile is here", to answer in the function "a wall" when its a forbidden area?

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 29, 2008, 11:27:30 am »

I assume you're using A* or Dijkstra-search or similar algorithm. If so, all you need to to is up the cost significantly of the forbidden nodes and they will never be taken. If your node definition can't handle this (no weight members etc) then pathing needs an overhaul anyway :)
That's what the traffic designation does currently, where you can set the cost manually. It doesn't forbid squares at all, just makes them less likely to be used - unless they're the only squares a dwarf can take to reach a place, in which case calculation load is increased a buttload for no effect.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]