Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifer? Thank Armok!  (Read 1523 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquifer? Thank Armok!
« on: July 11, 2010, 07:06:18 pm »

So I was playing this 2x2 on a glacier for a couple of years before I realized a pretty significant problem:

The underground didn't have any connected sources of water.  My water source was just an isolated underground lake.  I was going to eventually run dry.  Then: no more farming.  No more healthcare.  No well, no obsidian trap, no ice trap.  I'd have to rely on trading for all my booze.

And just when I was digging into the blue stuff, my last legendary went fey, wanting shells.  I'd amassed a collection of FBs, but the miner wasn't satisfied with the steam monster's shell, and there clearly weren't any lobsters or mussels around.  Oh well.  Time to train up another miner.  So I went digging into the loam that was just under the ice.

And lo and behold, there was an untouched aquifer!  Hallelujah!  Guess I'll be training that miner up on a plumbing system....

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifer? Thank Armok!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 01:56:48 am »

Making booze doesn't use water.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:11:09 am »

I was gonna ask if you were braindamaged to be thankful for an Aquifer.  I hate those things... cause they cover about 80% of any landmass, and almost always settled around the edges of Mountains I wanna MINE!

But no, in your situation I'd have had a similar response.  Halleluleah and pass the Farkin ammunition!  We're goin to war.
Demon of Darkness

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:54:16 am »

Not immediatly, but it requires fruit which requires water.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 10:31:19 am »

I was gonna ask if you were braindamaged to be thankful for an Aquifer.  I hate those things... cause they cover about 80% of any landmass, and almost always settled around the edges of Mountains I wanna MINE!

Aquifers can be very useful. Once you've breached them, they don't really get in the way. They're by far the largest infinite source of water.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 10:58:13 am »

Not immediatly, but it requires fruit which requires water.
Cavern floors start muddy. Farm there?
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.