Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Good castle/not underground. fort design.  (Read 5173 times)

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
Good castle/not underground. fort design.
« on: July 11, 2010, 06:03:21 pm »

I was wondering if anyone had advice for castle forts that they could offer to me.
Things I need to know:
Embark location best suited for castles
General layout
Survival/defense
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:10:36 pm by Toast024 »
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: Good castle/not underground. fort design.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 06:05:43 pm »

If you want a castle, you need a lot of stone. A flat location if good if you want to design it entirely yourself, but hills can reduce the need for walls.

Wood, metal, and glass also work for walls, but aren't as abundant. Unless you have magma for green glass, anyway.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:07:25 pm by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:34:32 pm »

Depending on how frequently you get ambushes/sieges, you'll need to wall off your total castle area pretty quickly.  If you're not terribly worried about archers, then ditches are quite a bit faster to make than walls.  You can then either just wall up behind the ditch (so you have a dry/wet/magma moat) or just build the wall directly on the ditch.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:28:26 pm »

I advise you to begin the fortress underground. Then, with time passing, you will have enough resources and workers to build castles. Digging a living room underground is very easy - just dig and that's all. If digging in stone layers - dump some stones. But if you want make living room outside, you need walls, floor and roof (cause you cant set beds on 'outside' tile, only with roof the tile will become 'inside'). It takes a lot of time just to build a small 10x10 tower.
But if you are just eager to begin as human would, dig some stones, build loooong perimeter wall, remove all up ramps (natural ones) to prevent enemy coming from upside. Atm i have same perimeter wall, and though i have big fortress underground i would love to build a big fortpost for marksdwarves and 5-6 towers.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 08:00:23 pm »

Ok, so I am going to try to embark on a nice, almost completely flat area. Any suggestions for the material used. Also, if someone has some pics/saves/maps of castle forts, that would be greatly appreciated.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 08:04:29 pm »

Ok, so I am going to try to embark on a nice, almost completely flat area. Any suggestions for the material used. Also, if someone has some pics/saves/maps of castle forts, that would be greatly appreciated.

If you want a castle, you need a lot of stone. A flat location if good if you want to design it entirely yourself, but hills can reduce the need for walls.

Wood, metal, and glass also work for walls, but aren't as abundant. Unless you have magma for green glass, anyway.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 08:13:29 pm »

I was referring to the type of stone.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 08:18:22 pm »

Oh, ok. Pretty much anything abundant that isn't valuable (worth only 3), such as granite or mica. If you plan on magma, use a magma-safe material such as bauxite. The wiki has a full list.

Slazia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 09:48:44 pm »

Make it all out of gold!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 10:00:59 pm »

Make it all out of gold!

You have no taste! Make it out of adamantine with magma floors with floating obsidian platforms! And the keep be made out of pure ice in the middle of summer in a scorching environment!

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 10:40:14 pm »

im currently doing this,

1. flat flat super flat no hills at all embark point
2. Build a group of stairs down in the middle of the map
3. Build ur dwarven stuff down underground
4. Build ur walls/keeps/towers around that center spot

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 10:49:11 pm »

I like to build my above ground fortresses out of marble blocks, my dwarves sleep in the dirt until they start producing the cut stone.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 10:50:43 pm »

Don't forget a moat. Don't fill it with water though, cause then stuff can swim in it. Fill it with magma or leave it dry.

AxisKiller

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that could happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 12:44:59 am »

Leaving it dry can be hazardous at times, if, for example, a goblin bowman falls in there and one of your dwarves walks by. He'll get shot at from the moat. If it was me, I'd fill it with magma and only magma. Your choice though.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 01:00:49 am »

Healedabbey is one of the best I've ever seen aboveground.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4942-healedabbey
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: [1] 2 3