Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Games of the grave.  (Read 3127 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Games of the grave.
« on: July 11, 2010, 04:42:33 pm »

I'm wondering what sort of games exist where you deal with the dead.
 Anything goes, from necromancy to maggots feeding off of carrion. I want to be that necromancer, or be that maggot. Strange request I know, but still.

Games with graphics are a bonus.

Pathos

Re: Games of the grave.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 04:44:46 pm »

Well, I'd like this too.

There was a Warcraft 3 singleplayer RPG map that had you as a revenant of death with an abomination companion. It was pretty epic, especially as they did stuff like transformed the grass around you into dead land.

There're a few mods for both Morrowind and Oblivion that fit the concept, too.

Don't know of any games, though.

Wait, I know of one game. You've got Dominions 3, in which you can play as a god of death of Late Age Ermor and slowly transform the world into an army of undead. Bonus points for the 5k undead armies you can move whilst everyone else has 500 units.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:46:54 pm »

Doungen crawl stone soup necromancer class. Also I think that theres a morrowind mod that has you BEING a necromancer and doing rituals and stuff. Beat me to the post Pathos.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 04:59:50 pm »

ANY class can learn necromancy in stone soup.

Also Ydremuul, the evil god of the undead. Allows you to raise dead without necromancy.
You miss out some of the cooler necromancy effects, though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 05:02:11 pm »

Well, technically Ghost Master fits the bill as you're commanding ghosts and scaring people out of places. A fair number of MMOs have necromancer classes (Everquest 1 and 2 and WoW has Deathknights with ghouls and stuff). Umm... OH Left 4 Dead 1 or 2 or both has multiplayer modes that let you play as the zombies.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 05:04:50 pm »

Looking at stone soup right now, looks interesting so far. (only read a tiny bit at this point)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 05:52:55 pm »

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 06:04:06 pm »

Stubbs the Zombie.

Seconded. If nothing else, it's a fun game.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 06:05:59 pm »

my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 06:10:30 pm »

Age of Wonders has the undead race, though you usualy only get to control them on the 2nd half of the game (this counts for the original game and sequels). You can control them without having to play alot if you just pick a map, make your own wizard and start playing. I recommend the original game because its simpler and easier to start with, and you'll likely find the full thing to download for free out there.

Planescape Torment's main character is sort of undead, and you start the game in what could be interpretated as the realm of the dead inside hell.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 06:16:02 pm »

Heroes of Might and Magic also let you play as the undead. Most games even have abilities for your hero to raise a part of the troops that died in battle as undead to fight for you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 06:21:46 pm »

Geist has you playing as a ghost man who's soul and body are forcefuly seperated. The Void takes place in an afterlife. I think. It's hard to tell with a game like The Void.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 06:24:56 pm »

Spellforce, the order of dawn. I had a necromancer character. Its an RTSRPG also, which is an awesome combination. My favourite pasttime is to set up a base in a conquered level and design patrol routes, etc.

EDIT: Oh, the necromancer class has a fun glitch too, where you can make as many workers as you can support and about 20 top tier archers. You press delete on the workers which kills them (hopefully they're all as close together as possible, in a circle) and you try and cast resurrection as many times as possible which gives you a good 160 tiny meatshield skeletons. Its AWESOME and any boss is screwed, as they aim for your meatshields rather than your damage dealers.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:37:37 am by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 06:48:14 pm »

Legacy of Kain series has you controlling a vampire in Blood Omen and a soul-eating former vampire thing in Soul Reaver.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:50:04 pm by Virtz »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3